Lets talk GEC!

The above mention of the spear on the Huckleberry Boy’s Knife prompted me to take a closer look at the one I happen to be carrying today. To my eye it has a Zulu-esque profile, and it has a very functional point.

Perhaps this is the reason I like this knife so much. In any event, full points to GEC on these knives from the 2018 run; they’re top-notch.

But the question about how well this particular knife will spread peanut butter remains unanswered.

146A31C0-445F-4129-8C37-A9F896231BE1.jpeg

The above mention of the spear on the Huckleberry Boy’s Knife prompted me to take a closer look at the one I happen to be carrying today. To my eye it has a Zulu-esque profile, and it has a very functional point.

Perhaps this is the reason I like this knife so much. In any event, full points to GEC on these knives from the 2018 run; they’re top-notch.

But the question about how well this particular knife will spread peanut butter remains unanswered.

View attachment 1164256
Any knife blade profile will spread peanut butter. It's all in the technique.;)

View attachment 1164285
Has anyone seen or done an EO notch on a 92? If so I would greatly appreciate pictures.
I keep thinking about doing it on my Rosewood spear 92 but can't decide.
You didn’t ask, but I think it would destroy the aesthetics of that handle, I think EO notches only belong on knives with simple lines. Please don’t

View attachment 1164285
Has anyone seen or done an EO notch on a 92? If so I would greatly appreciate pictures.

You didn’t ask, but I think it would destroy the aesthetics of that handle, I think EO notches only belong on knives with simple lines. Please don’t

I agree. Those knives are pretty special and highly sought after.
I'd find another model to mod or trade with somebody that has en EO knife.
But, it's your baby and you have to rock it. It's your choice on what to do with it.

I appreciate your and value your opinions, thank you! I'm leaning in the same direction, to leave as is.
I was just more curious than anything to see if anyone else has done it.

I think EO notches destroy the aesthetics of every knife. I lament their rise on so many of GEC's offerings. Yuk. :mad:
I don't mind the way they look on a swell end Jack.
r7buDSb.jpg

WzOftd6.jpg

View attachment 1164285
It's your knife, of course, but here's my crude Paint mock-up. :eek: Let's just say I don't think it's a good look.
hUPvnD9.jpg

Why exactly do you prefer clip point over the spear point in practical performance?

Asking out of genuine interest, because I am just trying to get my hands on some clip #15 or #77 as there is spear point in my collection everywhere you look. Your statement makes me feel like I am moving in wrong direction.

Not in the wrong direction at all. I just think a spear has a few advantages over a clip that I value. Tidiness in the well, a little more robust tip and they generally give you a longer straight spine to lay your index finger on. 100,000,000+ Swiss Army knives can’t be wrong ;)

Not in the wrong direction at all. I just think a spear has a few advantages over a clip that I value. Tidiness in the well, a little more robust tip and they generally give you a longer straight spine to lay your index finger on. 100,000,000+ Swiss Army knives can’t be wrong ;)

I'm thinking that a spear is much better than a clip about as often as a clip is much better than a spear ... almost never.

Wow, almost over 4 pages of Clip vs. Spear with a little White Bone thrown in. Maybe a simple thread with a poll btw the two would show which is favored more :D Might be interesting if not already done.

View attachment 1164285

I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the lauded #92, I keep hoping that GEC will do another run of them.

How are the pulls on these, the nail nick on your looks to be further from the tip than I would care to use if the pull was on the stouter side? I could see the desire for an EO notch if that were the case.

Personally, EO notches are not very aesthetically pleasing to me and though I've warmed a bit to it on the #85, it still feels awkward in the hand.

Being a young man of 72 years, I have grown up and have been surrounded by knife blades of all sorts in pocket knives just like my Dad and my grandpa's and uncles and believe you me,not one thought was given to what type of blade profile it was. The only important thing was, it's sharpness so that it would have a useful cut.Everything else is just for looks. Get the point?;)

Back