Lets talk GEC!

Any ideas on how to remove this contamination/corrosion?
Brand new knife.
I hit it with a squirt of WD-40 and wiped it with a microfiber towel, hoping it was just adhesive. No joy.

i-gS2BDBP-L.jpg

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will just move this little guy into my growing "user" rotation for now.

Where did you find that case CV 2 blade teardrop w/ wharnecliffe? I have a CV single blade version that makes a good general carving knife. CV sure takes a slightly different patina compared to 1095.

Someone earlier had mentioned a needle-like secondary wharnecliffe for a GEC- I imagine one like that but smaller and I agree it’d be very useful.
(I left a message on your profile page.)

Yeah, a Little wharncliffe would make a neat secondary blade. I sometimes carry a #18 Coyote as a secondary knife. Shown with a #14:
ZTbBAgb.jpg

That's a great pairing.
That Coyote is amazing with the patina and orange osage. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks. I like knives with one straight edge and one with belly, so the Coyote makes a good companion knife for single spears or clips:
UniVRbh.jpg

As you can imagine, the new #29 Whittler in osage orange was very tempting. I ended up reserving the jigged bone, but I may regret not going for osage.

View attachment 1169013

View attachment 1169012

This is my first Northwoods knife. For some reason, I have never before had the urge to buy one. (Except for the Esky Zulu which must be made on Unobtainium!) However, this one is truly an exceptional knife. The 93 pattern and blade shape fit the Northwoods aesthetic perfectly. The all steel construction was a nice surprise. (No Brass Will Power Will Power !)

Last edited:
(I left a message on your profile page.)

Yeah, a Little wharncliffe would make a neat secondary blade. I sometimes carry a #18 Coyote as a secondary knife. Shown with a #14:
ZTbBAgb.jpg

It looks very well in Osage O and with some patina:cool: I've never used my Blackwood Coyote, just can't seem to connect with it, yet I really enjoy carrying the CASE Swayback Gent in Chestnut Bone a lot and that's a small knife too. Different however

Last edited:
Anyone know if the #29s are cam tang, or have a half stop? God bless the distributors, but I’ve been reading conflicting stats. Some places are very prone to pretty obvious copy/paste errors.

Anyone know if the #29s are cam tang, or have a half stop? God bless the distributors, but I’ve been reading conflicting stats. Some places are very prone to pretty obvious copy/paste errors.
It was mentioned somewhere that all three blades have half stops. Grand Prairie Knives has a short video that confirms this. The knife looks absolutely fantastic in that video, by the way.

Is that stuff safe to use on food prep knives?

Hey AZ, the packaging states it is "Non Toxic".

After done polishing with it I followed with a little soak in mineral oil and then a good rub all over with a cloth, so I doubt there is any compound left.
I would not worry too much about it, but maybe someone else can offer some suggestions ?
I did noticed that now my knife takes longer to patina from sweat and handling as compared to before.

Camel bone on a Northfield? Is that a first? I know GEC does camel bone for NW but I don't remember seeing one on one of their own before. Might just be my memory though.

It doesn’t excite me, and there’s not a thing in the world wrong with that. GEC has made a lot of knives I like in the past year; it’s someone else’s turn.
I'm kind of on the fence about it.
On one hand I'm excited to see one of the classics come back...
On the other hand, I had one and let it go. It always seemed like a backwards Trapper to me.
In fact, I let my son use it once and he kept trying to cut with the dull side of the blade. :eek:

Last edited:
Back