Let's talk Northwoods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by SadSappySucker, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    The F&F on mine is spot on. The pull is definitely on the light side and there is an imperfection in the wood by the shield. It's a natural material so I consider that character. Over all it is beautiful and will be a very nice knife to use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thank you Steve. Your Giraffe shows off the curviness of the pattern, and will make for an elegant carry.

3. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Well said, Will.
    And as has been posted ad nauseam in this subforum, let's discuss the knives, not the purchasing process, please.

4. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Got my first giraffe bone, and will say I am much more impressed with it in real life than I was with the photo...mostly because I get to see it in different light. There's a lot of depth there. I could only imagine how fantastic the ones are that I thought looked much nicer on the site.

The downside is I have a bit of a gap between scale and bolster. Not a huge deal. What I don't like is that it is very sluggish when closing.

It snaps open nicely, and closes to half stop with snappiness, but from half stop closed, it's very slow.

I flushed it, oiled it, and have been working it. It has improved (by maybe 5%) but I'll keep trying. I am hoping that some of the scale left on the tang is causing it to bind a little between the liners. I may see if I can get someone to buff the tang a little and see if it improves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  5. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    Beautiful covers.

draggat and Sabercat like this.
  6. cricks1492

cricks1492

Dec 14, 2013
    The pull on mine is around 4-5, but the fit and finish are all excellent. Perfect centering, no gaps, 3/4 on the transitions from handle to bolster, and the back-spring termination is nice and square.

My tractor green jigged bone is a similar story, with really nice coloration in the bone, though the pull is even slightly lighter still.

Overall, I'm not totally enamored with these like I honestly thought I would be. I had initially planned on maybe keeping both and using one, but now I'm not so sure. Pull weight is more important to me than I had realized. I'd like to compare to a normal GEC talon.

[​IMG]

TheFactor, TFBraden, Wharn and 9 others like this.
  7. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    hard to beat a green knife.

the unpolished section of the blade seems a bit more rustic than previous runs, and the pull is fairly light, around a 4, but good walk and talk.

blade well centered and very sharp. really nicely made.
    2228AB24-2303-41DC-9872-6398C959BDCF.jpeg 7B717802-7F71-4FF6-9194-75E5531C5987.jpeg

8. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    Really nice. I like the fact that you can see the green throughout. Definitely more rustic looking.

AnW likes this.
  9. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Recieved mine today.. I would list the pull as a LIGHT 4. Walk & talk only decent, somewhat sluggish on closing. The bone has some light imperfections.. Kinda bummed, honestly.

cricks1492 likes this.
  10. cricks1492

cricks1492

Dec 14, 2013
    Likewise. Though my ironwood is nice and snappy, my green jigged isn't quite as crisp as I would like.

11. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Had a similar experience here unfortunately. Was really stoked on this as I love my Talon, and this was a let down for sure.

12. CallMeDave

CallMeDave Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Giraffe 03 looks fantastic. Great depth and smoothness.

I’m still fairly new to all this, and while I don’t mind the light pull, the walk kind of bounces. None of my other patterns do that.

Not sure I’ll keep it.

13. chuckgp

chuckgp

Dec 16, 2014
    Easy pull on mine, Great F&F. Color is much more flesh tone than orange.
    P1010864.JPG
    P1010866.JPG

14. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    those cracks in the camel bone are so cool looking.

love it.

Onearmbladenut and cbr1000 like this.
  15. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Both mine are centered, no gaps, pull is light but that's good for me, snaps closed. Overall very pleased. Linen micarta pics below. I like the layering effect and feel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. chuckgp

chuckgp

Dec 16, 2014
    Giraffe

Elgatodeacero likes this.
  17. dza

dza

Feb 14, 2017
    Can someone with a signal jack tell me how this ocoee compares size wise? I got my blue sawcut today and it is a bit smaller than I would like. Great looking knife though. Was thinking of maybe trying to trade it for a slightly larger pattern northwoods.

18. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
  19. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    Sorry for the newb question...are all the Giraffe covers natural bone? Seems like the color variances are all over the board.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  20. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I've had the red and black Micarta Northwoods for a whopping 7 hours.... I think it is a classy looking knife with attractive lines and good curb appeal... It fits my arthritic ridden hands well and is easy to open, even by pinching.... Running it through the gears when I first got it was pretty lackluster.... I got some oil flushed through the mechanism and got all the little cruddies dispersed..... Now it performs decently with the required effort being on the light side.... The fit and finish is fine.... I'm sure a nitpicker could dig around and find something to carp about, but It is fine by any reasonable measure... I like it but I don't use my knives so I can't comment on how well it opens a box or whittles something...... 20191109_214102.jpg