Lets talk Simonich Knives!

I have owned and respected Robs work for a LONG time now... What do YOU like about Robs work? I want to hear from EVERYONE! Show us pics! Tell us stories, I want to hear and see it ALL!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Take Care
Trace...

I fell in love with the Chinook. I had a hard time with the price, due to the fact that I hadn't spent that much on a knife before. Well, after a month, I decided to buy it. MAN!!! That was the sleekest, sexiest knife ever. It was light weight, the grinds were perfect, talonite, fit the hand and was my pride and joy. It has since moved in with a better owner due to some financial problems in the past. I am glad it went to him. (No pics :grumpy: )

I have played with a crowfoot...S30V and blue/black g-10. PERFECT fishing knife. Served me well last summer. (No pics again :rolleyes: )

With the two that I had, the fit, finish and feel were PERFECT. But as they say, "A fool and his gold are soon departed".

The bitterroot sits on my keychain. My fiance liked that knife so much she had me buy her one at Blade last year. :) It's latest tasks have been to cut wire and open boxes to help put together the variable speed for the new grinder. Maybe the knife will impart some of it's maker's design wisdom onto my machinery.

The (mid-tech) Urban Raven is a beauty to behold, and hold. I've taken it camping and it even stayed on my side through many duck seasons. If I had to fight my way out of Hades, that would be the knife I'd use.

If I could make 1/1,000,000,000th of an impact on the industry as Rob and his knives have, I would consider myself a very successful maker.

For me, the best thing about Rob and his knives were his dedication to the consumer and the quality of his products. He never intended on selling his knives based upon his name (you know what I mean; "It's a Simonich knife, that's why I bought it"). Even when his name became well known, he still put his heart into his knives and meant for them to be used hard. In my opinion, he was a rarity in today's knife world.

The Bitteroot thread caught my eye, and I thought, "what the heck is a Bitteroot", and after checking it out, I ordered a couple. I still have one, and is a handy little knife, and that sucker is SHARP.

I also had to order a couple sets of Gunners. These are awesome, and I really enjoyed talking to Rob about them, and asked him if one of my sets of grips could have the ambi cut and flat bottoms He said no problem. Then I asked if the other set could be tapered and have the Kimber attached to them that was on the website, and he said he better hang on to that.

I really like the Raven, and the Crowfoot, but I will have to wait a little while before I can purchase one.

Almost forgot a pic.

Colt1991A1SSCommander-Simonich.jpg

Man I love those little Bitteroots... Great stuff guys! Lets see and hear MORE!
I would like to hear some Rob stories too if ya got em. :cool:

Take Care
Trace.

Come on guys... Whatcha got?

How bout...

First time you heard about Rob's knives?
First one you ever purchased?
First time you met him?
What your knife is mainly used for?

As for me...First heard about Rob's knives and talonite from a customer.
First knife was the Chinook. :cool:

My favorite edc of all time is my Talonite Bitteroot. Despite its diminutive size, I feel more confident cutting with it than I do with folders with longer blade lengths. The fact that it is a fixed blade gives me the peace of mind of knowing that I am utilizing the strongest lock on the market-none. Because it is composed of Talonite, I don't have to worry about corrosion. And because of this, I wear the knife at work(concealed of course), out on the weekends, and even when I'm working out. It is with me always sans the shower and bed. Typical uses for my Bitteroot are as follows: Preparing fruits and vegetables for consumption, cutting loose threads, opening mail and packages, sharpening pencils, cutting out clippings and articles, and acting as a last ditch self defense weapon. In addition, this knife is actually quite simple to sharpen. This obviously contradicts the notion that Talonite is a difficult metal to hone. However, I use a Gerber ceramic pocket sharpener to restore the blade's hair popping edge. Just 10 strokes on the course rods and 10 strokes on the fine rods and that is all it takes! If there are any of you out there contemplating the purchase of this knife, there really is nothing more to think about. You will quickly understand why I love this knife. By the way, does anyone know why Christine isn't responding to emails? Peace

Rob is one of the first knifemakers who embraced me in this business.. When I first met him back 2000 at the Oregon show, he had just started with the idea of the Crowfoot .. I fell in love with it and asked him if he would do one for me and he said he would.. a few months went by and we were getting ready for another show, Blade, and I thought Rob forgot.. well to my surprise he had not forgotten and delivered to me my first Simonich custom :D .. needless to say I was shocked and at a loss for words. That knife has been with me ever since.. I also own one of the Bitteroot customs he did in talonite, but that Crowfoot has always been my favorite. I am looking forward to picking up a Raven when they are released as well.. always did like Rob's work from the first time I set eyes on his stuff. Needless to say, the man who made the knives was a one of a kind.. Rob has helped and influenced many.. his legend will live on. :)

Ida thats awesome! You KNOW we have ALOT of great Rob stories.. My FAVORITE was when he won American made Blade of the year at Blade Show!
I'll never forget the look on his face or YOU yelling out Simonich!! When the soldier on stage couldnt pronounce it right! I am SO glad I made it and was sitting next to him that night..

The guy was an AMERICAN ORIGINAL! They dont make em like that anymore!
AND his knives are STILL UNREAL, and some of the BEST on the market! :cool:

Take Care
Trace

I was honored to attend a week's survival course in the River of No Return Wilderness with Rob, in 2000. The course was put on by Ron & Karen Hood...

Rob brought two knives to sell, an SRT and an Aurora. I bought them both, and man am I glad I did! He had a 2 year waiting list then, and never came off of it...

Anyway, one night, I noticed that he was wiping something wet on the big SRT. (He carried it during the trip.) Ah HA! I thought.... Surely there is some kind on inside scoop here, yes? Some secret knifemaker preservative? Possibly something he found out in the wilderness? So being the snake I am, I slithered around the campfire, and quietly asked him, "What are you putting on the knife, Rob? A wilderness preservative? Something you brought in with you?"

He just looked up at me, kinda perplexed. "Naw, I'm just cleaning it off with some coffee."

So much for the inside info!

:cool:

Thats a great Rob story right there! :cool:

Did you guys know Rob used to wipe his blades down with Hoppes #9 at shows? He said it in a simple way, but he basically thought it would attract shooters to his blades like pheremones:)
That stuff worked too, cause I never saw knives fly off a table like that!
And hell I would wear Hoppes #9 for Cologne if it wouldnt give me a rash. :D

THAT dude was simply BRILLIANT! :cool:

My very first custom was from Rob. I sketched out some ideas and mailed them to him, he cleaned them up and we came up with just what I wanted. He had it done and in my hands in about 3 months! (I think this was in about '97 or '98, before his wait time sky rocketed. I was so stoked with the big chopper he made me, I bought one of his Chetan's as a little companion blade. Then Ron Hood designed the Nordooh with Rob, and I had to have one of those too! When I finally met Rob in person at a show here in CA (I don't remember if it was Blade West or Knife Expo) he was the coolest! And it felt like we were old friends. Wish I still had some pics of those knives, my old computer crashed and they went with it :(

tknife said:
My very first custom was from Rob. I sketched out some ideas and mailed them to him, he cleaned them up and we came up with just what I wanted. He had it done and in my hands in about 3 months! (I think this was in about '97 or '98, before his wait time sky rocketed. I was so stoked with the big chopper he made me, I bought one of his Chetan's as a little companion blade. Then Ron Hood designed the Nordooh with Rob, and I had to have one of those too! When I finally met Rob in person at a show here in CA (I don't remember if it was Blade West or Knife Expo) he was the coolest! And it felt like we were old friends. Wish I still had some pics of those knives, my old computer crashed and they went with it :(

That would be Blade West like 8 years ago! The ONE and ONLY time Rob came to Cali. That was the first time I met him in person too!
Cool story, and you are a lucky SOB to have something Rob created for you man.. :cool:

Hi
I never met Rob in person. I read about him in Blade and when I needed info for my thesis I sent him an e-mail.
He responded and gave me his views on the knife community.

We e-mailed regurlary and when I had saved enough money I orderd a Mid Tech Combat Raven.
This is one knife I always use in the outdoors and one knife I will never sell.

Unfortunately I have never managed to get hold of a talonite bitteroot, I would have liked to add that one to my keyring.

dirk

Back