Leuku, etc for woods blade

Hi FBF Faithful,

I’m looking for some insight into a few different Fiddleback models, in comparison to my current outdoor/woodcraft/ knives. Right now, I that is primarily an Adventure Sworn Mountaineer. My primary uses are camp crafting, fire prep, and some food prep. I dabble with bushcraft more and more but also carry it on backpacking trips where I know I want to build fires. I find myself really liking the AS for general woods usage but there are some things I’d like to change about it. The Scandi grind isn’t always the best choice for hardwoods, which are predominant where I spend most of my outdoors time. And, of course, it’s not ideal for food prep at all.

I’ve never owned a Fiddleback but have been eyeing them for years so I think I’d like to acquire one but which one? Ideal length would be 4.5 to 5 inches blade length. The AS blade height is a little narrow so a taller blade might be in order. I’m leaning towards the Leuku but have also been considering a Bushfinger, Bush Hermit, Terrasaur, or possibly KEB, although I know they’re all shorter blades. I have pretty large hands and the AS Mountaineer is about as short of a handle as I find comfortable to use. Can anyone who has an AS knife provide comparisons to any of those models and help me with my decision?

Much thanks,
Russell

I've never handled or owned an AS knife, however I can provide a bit of insight on some of the Fiddleback models. People with more experience should chime in at some point. There have also been a couple great threads talking about all of the models in that range. I'll see if I can find them.

Really, you can go wrong with any of those models in my opinion. The Leuku will be the largest, and the KEB the smallest. The Terrasaur might be a good option for you because it's got a bit of extra blade, as well as a guardless blade which is better for food prep. The Bush Hermit will have the most comfortable handle of all of these options with the extra depth. The Bushfinger is also a great model, probably the best all around in the group. You may also consider the Old School Ladyfinger, my personal favorite.

EDIT: a couple of the threads I mentioned.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...t-knife-bushfinger-recluse-or-hunter.1304762/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/terrasaur-or-bushfinger.1393477/

Last edited:
In the last month, I have bought and sold and AS guide and a FF leuku. I have big hands, but more specifically wide palms and the AS guide handle was fine but there was no room to spare. I sold it because it was a scandi grind and i just didnt love that particular grind in that particular knife and to be honest someone made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. The FF Leuku was really nice and I think that it would probably serve your intended uses well. Two things to consider are 1) it has a small guard and that takes away from food prep a bit and 2) the handle is fairly short for a knife this size. the reason I sold mine is because the handle was just too short to be comfortable for me, but again I have wide palms (4 1/4" wide).

Currently I am on the search for a knife to meet my needs (and they sound almost exactly like yours) I am looking into a FF Camp Nessmuk, or Convex offerings from AS like the Guide and Tradesman or explorer. You might want to consider something like a FF Hunter or if you don't mind going a little bigger knife the FF Woodsman, Duke, or Bushcrafter Sr.

Based in my experience with a Bushfinger (awesome knife, but a bit less blade length than you wanted), I would try a Hunter.

I will put the Hunter on the radar. delkhouri delkhouri , my palm is just over 4" across as well. Did the palm swell on the Leuku sit in your hand awkwardly? One of the things I really like about my AS knife is the rounded pommel so I'm concerned that the FBs with the flattened pommel might push up into my palm in certain grips.

From your description of needs, I would think you would need to look at a Hunter or a Duke. Andy doesn't make the Hunter model all that often these days it is around a 4.5 inch blade, so it's between the Bushfinger (4 inch blade) and Duke (5 inch blade).

About 8 years ago I chose a Hunter to use as the knife I made all the parts of the both drill from scratch with for an article I wrote on the bow drill for Self Reliance Illustrated when LT asked me to write that piece. The Hunter is a very capable knife. Some pics of it in action below. That said a Duke would likely be easier to find and is only a little longer. I know Fiddleback Outpost seems to have production models and a nice hand made version in stock. KSF shows Leukus and production Dukes. I didn't spot any Hunters currently at dealers at the moment.

Photo-1%20Full%20File.jpg

Photo-6.jpg

Photo-15.jpg

Photo-2.jpg

The pointed pommel of the leuku did not extend past my hand and it actually dug into the the edge of my palm a bit. Now I didn't actually us the knife but I expected it to be a major hot spot for me.

If a rounded pommel is what you like then look at the buscraafter series.

The bc has a 4 inch blade
The bc Sr. Has just under a 5 inch blade.

3 models that I have used and can recommend as excellent general use woods bumming knives are: Arete(1/8), Terrasaur(1/8) and Duke(5/32).
Blade size/shape worked very well, secure grip- no overbearing worry of losing grip and no hand cramp in extended use. I currently own only the Terr., but am looking for another Duke for sure and maybe Arete. They just work that well.
Bill

I almost mentioned the Terrasaur, there are a few of those available out there right now. Very capable knives and Andy's iteration of it is my favorite, but Russell mentioned possibly wanting a taller blade so I suggested the Hunter and Duke. Personally my Woodsman is my go to for these uses, same size as the Duke with less belly, but I error on the side of pointy due to my own experiences...

DSC_0672.jpg

20171202_164826.jpg

DSC_3069.jpg

DSC_1132.jpg

1.jpg

36.jpg

Hi Russell,

Welcome to the Fiddleback forum.

There is a little mentioned sticky thread at the top of the page called “Your Reviews of Fiddleback Forge Knives” that includes links to a lot of data. A couple of years ago, I added a couple of Indexes for reviews and comparison photo threads. You might want to delve into what’s there for some insights and opinions.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/your-reviews-of-fiddleback-forge-knives.1321664/

Another thread that may be helpful to you with XL hands is called “Handles and Large Hands.”

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/handles-and-large-hands.1340787/#post-15405531

Many of the original photos from these threads are forever lost in the infamous PhotoPhucket ransom debacle of last year, but there is still enough there to be worth your time.

My personal recommendation to you based on your criteria is the Bush Hermit. It has a taller blade and handle plus the generous sized handle has the palm swell positioned in the middle which accommodates a variety of hand sizes big and small.

Please keep us posted on which Fiddleback you choose.

Phil

Hi Russell,

Welcome to the Fiddleback forum.

There is a little mentioned sticky thread at the top of the page called “Your Reviews of Fiddleback Forge Knives” that includes links to a lot of data. A couple of years ago, I added a couple of Indexes for reviews and comparison photo threads. You might want to delve into what’s there for some insights and opinions.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/your-reviews-of-fiddleback-forge-knives.1321664/

Another thread that may be helpful to you with XL hands is called “Handles and Large Hands.”

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/handles-and-large-hands.1340787/#post-15405531

Many of the original photos from these threads are forever lost in the infamous PhotoPhucket ransom debacle of last year, but there is still enough there to be worth your time.

My personal recommendation to you based on your criteria is the Bush Hermit. It has a taller blade and handle plus the generous sized handle has the palm swell positioned in the middle which accommodates a variety of hand sizes big and small.

Please keep us posted on which Fiddleback you choose.

Phil
Phil,
Thanks for all the info. I've read through the comparison sticky and it's given me a lot of insight. I've nearly pulled the trigger on a Bush Hermit several times and have read your review thread (comparing it to a Maverick, I think) a time or two. The handle looks really appealing. If the blade were a half-inch longer I'd be all in. Still, the amount of times I need that little extra bit of steel are very few and far between.

That said, going up to Duke territory is definitely too much knife for what I need. The Hunter is just about perfect. I'm hoping some folks can chime in with some comparisons to my current carry. Thanks everyone, for the feedback so far- this is a great community.

Back