LEVINE'S GUIDE to Knives - Inside Scoop on the "5th" edition

bernard_levine

Platinum Member
Knife World Online Newsletter #14
June 18, 2001

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">** LEVINE'S GUIDE 5th is out - but is it worth buying? **</font>

I suppose that many of you have heard that LEVINE'S GUIDE TO KNIVES, 5th EDITION is out. Some are probably aware of the fact that Levine had nothing to do with the revision.

Normally, we at KNIFE WORLD will have a book of this type on hand as soon as it becomes available. However, we were reluctant to order a quantity of "LG5's" up front because of the shoddy approach the publisher seemed to be taking with it.

I hate to say it, folks, but we were right. LEVINE'S GUIDE TO KNIVES, 5th EDITION is not nearly the book that the the 4th Edition was. Krause Publications has succeeded in turning one of the finest books on knives into a mockery of itself, in just a single stroke. The pricing system for most antique folders is GONE, folks, GONE! The few minor additions aren't cross-referenced into the rest of the text! As far as we can tell, not a single update has been made to the tables of manufacturers - antique, bowie knife, OR handmade!

We're not going to stand by a book like this, so if you want to ignore our advice and buy a copy of LG5, you'll have to do it someplace else. [Sure, we'd love to make a few dollars on the book, but I don't want to have to deal with a slew of dissatisfied customers, and I don't want to support a
book that isn't worth our support.] Despite the royalty Levine stands to make on it, he's taking the same position. In fact, shocking as it may sound, the fellow that updated the prices for the new edition (Pete Cohan) is not endorsing it either.

Luckily, we were able to locate a supply of the previous edition, LEVINE'S GUIDE TO KNIVES, 4th EDITION, before the publisher pitched them. We will continue to offer these books for as long as the supply holds out - the best edition of the series, and, as Levine states, the last 'authentic' edition.

http://www.knifeworld.com/knifeworld/levguidtokni.html

You can read much more about LG5/LG4 in the July issue of KNIFE WORLD. Levine's comments have also been published on our website for your reference - just follow the link above.

The above is an unedited quote from Knife World's email newsletter, published June 18. As mentioned above, KW has a small remaining supply of LG-4 (the real one), and so do I (see my links page). If you need one, want one, think you might want one, know someone who might want one, DO NOT HESITATE. When current inventory is gone, that's it -- and when we are down to the last box or two, the price is going to go up substantially.

Bernard Levine

Link to my KNIFE RELATED LINKS page>>>>>

------------------
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/links.htm

Bernard, I already have a copy of LG-4 and it is great. Are you planning on doing a new book in the future? Hopefully you are not resticted by contract from doing this, as it would be a terrible loss to the industry. I have decided that there is no way that I will purchase LG-5, but would be first in line to buy one from you.

If you do a new book, I would recommend that you do a limited edition hardcover. Include your autograph and that would be a prize that I would treasure, and be willing to pay the premium to acquire.

------------------
Keith

AKTI Member #A001338

Thanks Keith!

Under my contract with DBI Books, which Krause now owns, as long as they pay me royalties on 5, I cannot write a competing book for someone else. We shall see if they ever get around to paying me royalties, or indeed if they ever get around to selling any copies of 5. I personally sold a few hundred copies of each of the previous editions, and Knife World sold quite a few more than I did, but neither of us will be selling copies of 5.

Under my contract, I had an option to buy all remaining copies of LG-4, which I exercised, and the last of the books arrived here today. I sold a few to Knife World, and I may wholesale a few others to other retailers, but after these are gone there, won't be any more -- since Krause owns the copyright.

As to hardbound editions, have you seen my 2nd edition of Knifemakers of Old San Francisco, published in 1998? Also my little book Identifying Pocketknives. Both are available (autographed) on my website.

BRL...

------------------

Hi Bernard,
Perhaps you have seen an earlier post when we defended your honor and your book (LGIV). Even the new editor and one of the Krause folks paid a visit to explain thier viewpoints but they didn't convince us--how could they?

We, the true knife nuts know that this is not your book and we will let the world know this. The knife world lost a great collector's advocate when you cannot publish a book that truly well regarded. I just read your KW article on the KW site and it is very disturbing. This is your book and even though I have a great amount of respect for the editor of LGV, I will never consider it an accurate inventory of knives and thier values becuase you were not there. That is just my feeling. It would be like going to that Broadway hit The Producers and finding out Nathan Lange had the night off....sorry, I pass.

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Are there enough to last until tomorrow, if I can remember to call. I prefer to use phones for ordering when using CC. Silly, I know, but I'm a paranoid bastid.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Yes, there are enough to last til tomorrow (heck, it already is tomorrow in Australia, and in New Jersey). But I can't take credit card orders on the phone, only through PayPal. I also take checks, money orders, cash, knives, etc.

BRL...

------------------

I'm glad to see that others are standing beside you on this one Bernard.

"Levine's Guide to Knives, 5th edition, is NOT LEVINE'S Guide!!!!" Thats all I have to say about that!

------------------
"Come What May..."

BRL,

It is good to see that there are still some quality publications in this industry. We can only wonder when the other magazines are going to wake up and step foward. If nothing else this will serve as a litmus test for those magazines. LG5 is so obviously flawed as a product that anyone who fails to step foward to denounce it has done a disservice to their subscribers, and a discredit to themselves.

Here is the link to our previous discussion:

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000885.html

N2S

Mr Levine, you sent me a signed copy of the 4th edition some time ago, and I have to say I have been very impressed with this book. I voiced my dismay over the new edition and recieved a very interesting reply. However I am loath to put up a private e-mail on this forum and am unhappy even sending you a copy. If any Formites think I have a responsability to show this e-mail, let me know.

I don't want to tread on toes here!

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

The reply was already posted up in a different thread. It seems it was an automated response.

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back