1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lewis Axe Co, Lewistown Pa. ??????

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Sudsy, May 2, 2018.

1. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    Picked up a few hand tools the other day including these two axes that I spend the afternoon polishing up, a Plumb 4lb (Michigan Pattern?) and one I can't Identify, a 5lb (Dayton style?) Lewis Axe Co., out of Lewistown Pa.

That's the home of the Mann family of axes, so I'm thinking it's a sub-brand of theirs ??

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    That's a Dayton not a Michigan.

Now I will say that next time you should just use a wire wheel to remove only the rust, polishing up old hand tools isn't normally seen as a good thing around here.
    They're your tools to do with as you wish, but you should just know it's not a popular practice around here.

Brian Rust likes this.
  3. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    I normally don't but i plan on using these and I've found they work a bit better when they're slicked up a bit. They'll both be getting a forced blued patina.

And yes, turned out I was correct (not that it was that much of a stretch to make the assumption), part of the Mann family of axes- just found this, from "The Iron Age", Volume 73:

[​IMG]

Yankee Josh and Square_peg like this.
  4. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    Thank you
    I obviously have issues discerning the difference between those two patterns
    What should i be looking for to help differentiate ??

muleman77 likes this.
  5. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    They're similar, but Michigan have a rounded poll, as well as heel and toe, while a Dayton has square corners. The heel and toe can change a lot with use and how the tool is ground, but the poll always gives it away.

Those will look nice and will be good users after you get them hung.

Brian Rust and Agent_H like this.
  6. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I think you did just fine in polishing them up. I've noticed that improves performance. I just don't normally do it. My Mann has more of a rounded off poll. DM

muleman77 likes this.
  7. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    Rounded poll
    Got it, thanks

muleman77 likes this.
  8. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Both good axes. The Plumb will make an extraordinary user. It's not been abused. Plus it has the classic high centerline and bevels that make for an efficient bucker/splitter. I'd take a little off the heel and center to match the toe. Then restore the factory banana grind and love it for a whole long time.

Miller '72, Trailsawyer and muleman77 like this.
  9. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    That reference to "Lewis Axe Company" is from 1904, and judging by the scarcity of other examples online, I'd say that axe is not just old, it's rare. Congrats!

On page 48 of "American Axes" by Kauffman, there's a quote from an 1897 booklet from Mann that says, "Our regular second quality axes are stamped "Lewis Axe Co." and labeled "The Jack Frost Axe."

[​IMG]

Miller '72 and muleman77 like this.
  10. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    A catalog page said to be from 1906:

[​IMG]

11. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Page from a their catalog-- that's over 100 years old And the box they were shipped in. Steve Tall, your too much. You da man... Great
    info.. DM

12. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    Rare ?? I was NOT expecting that
    An

13. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    Rare ?? I was NOT expecting that
    And i went and polished it
    Son of a Bugger !!!!!

Hey Hickory n Steel - you were right :(

Trailsawyer and Square_peg like this.
  14. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Everybody has focused on Lewis Axe Co mark, but there is another one: SQM: factory mark or just initials of the owner?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Nah, it's no big deal.
    You learned that an axe could be obscure and to find out before polishing it up, and you didn't exactly remove a bunch for f material to get every single pit out because that's where the real problem of removing stampings comes in.

16. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable. It's a saying that rings very true to when it comes to axes. Just use it and don't loose any sleep.

17. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    I was assuming owners initials

[​IMG] [​IMG]

muleman77 likes this.
  18. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks ... I love to be surprised by those additional markings like WPA, CWA, or railroad names hiding under layer of rust. Unfortunately, SQM does not ring a bell.

19. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    300Six likes this.
  20. Sudsy

Sudsy

Dec 2, 2009
    Perhaps a batch was made for them and a few didn't make the trip ??

Square_peg likes this.