Light traveler's knives

I have a dream about the time after the covid 19 crisis. My dream is to gather a light package, something that I can carry on my person and travel. Not anything extreme, just walk, travel by bus, train and bicycle. Go see the backroads, see something of the wilderness while I still can, before I'm too old. Villages, forests, beaches and mountains, castles and small houses.

For that I would want a knife that would serve me in all kinds of sircumstances. So far during my travels before the covid I have carried with me usually two kinds of knives. One is small folder to carry in my pocket. A Victorinox alox pioneer has traveled with me a lot and served me well. I wish it had a corkscrew, but other than that it is fine. The other knife has most of the time been a longer single blade folder, but that leaves something to be desired. For durability and hygiene it should be fixed blade.

A travelers fixed blade should be light. The blade lenght should be 4-5 inches (100-125 mm) for food prep. Full flat grind is in my opinion needed for the same reason. Still it should have enough spine to be able to baton small firewood, so the spine thickness should be 3.5 - 4 mm, but more than that is overkill.

I have two knives that fit the bill more or less. The Brisa Nessmuk has been my do anything knife for some time. The scandi grind is not optimal for food prep, but it will do. I have also Brisa Trapper 115 FFG, that has seen little use. It has G 10 handles that need to be modified (I have sanded them to get more grip), but the stainless 12 C 27 steel makes it hassle-free, I don't have worry about the rust. I have convexed the edge and it slices very well but needs to tested on firewood.

31eKKuF.jpg

Nessmuk with Brisa Elver.
qlNgCxb.jpg

Do you agree? If you have traveler's knife, show us!

Looks like you already have a great set up. If and when you get a chance tell us about one of your favorite adventures you packed light for. Thanks for sharing.

I
Very Pocketable and low weight 3 layer SAK Huntsman for the corkscrew. Also has a functional wood saw, and a handi-dandi scissors, that get more use than expected on wife/girl friend's loose threads, and wild/unruly hairs.
(suggestion: don't go after her loose threads and/or wild or unruly hairs with a knife blade.)

MORAKNIV Number 1 for the fixed blade, Choice of Carbone, Rosfre, and layered blade.
Classic moras are lovely. When I grew up they were everywhere

I'm holding out for a slimmed down 3/32" Elmax Malanika Puukko as my "perfect" traveler's knife, paired with either a modified Opinel 8 carbon or SAK Harvester :)

I'm holding out for a slimmed down 3/32" Elmax Malanika Puukko as my "perfect" traveler's knife, paired with either a modified Opinel 8 carbon or SAK Harvester :)

@Hijo, you are like me, you have too many knives that we can switch in and out to make a good light combination, I just can never decide which to put together. :)

I would rather take a multitool, unless it was some sort of get to the wilderness thing.

Any victorinox can hardly be beat for that purpose...id carry spartan,and my alpineer for longer blade and pocket dmt...

Back