lighted loupe recommendation

expidia1

Gold Member
Im using a wicked edge system. I just returned a $99 wifi microscope which worked but the build quality was more like a $39 device.
it was nice though to be able to snap a pic and have it appear on my iphone though. I only have ipads and an iphone X so i think a USB version is out for me.

I’m thinking I’d like a quality lighted loupe suggestion or even better would be a device that fits over my iphone lens and is able to snap a pic too.

loupe wise- i had a 10x and it wasnt enough power. i dont want to go too high as the field of view gets very small.
what power do you use?

microscope wise-whats the best device that some of you have had good experience with?
thx

Last edited:
It's not a loop but I like these.
I have one at work with the highest mag lenses and the light on it.
At home I have more use for the farther focus lower power with the light on it.
The visor with the swing down loop lens has the highest mag lenses in it. The focal point is about six inches from the lens on that one, give or take.
The one with the light on it the focal point is like 18 inches or 24 inches.
The light and battery accessory is sold separately by an outfit called Quasar; just Google.
And the visors are easy to find; look at a jewelry or woodworking tool supply. Same for the swing down loop.
By the way the battery just lasts for EVER. When I first got it I left the light on and set the visor on the work bench and left for over six hours. When I came back to the dark shop and saw that the light was on it was still as bright as when I first turned it on. It's not super bright by the way; too bright reflects back and is a problem.

IMG_5065.jpg
IMG_5064.jpg

As far as power, the visor with the loop has 10x lenses and is the highest the company makes and the loop is enough more to be all I want for looking at most edges. Without the swing down I can see super small burs as long as I have some light to glint off the bur.

The other visor I don't know what that is and i don't use it for sharpening.
The visor I use while sharpening on my Edge Pro is a 5x and makes it easier to see the magic marker being removed from right on the edge. I don't use the Quasar light on that visor and just rely on overhead old halogen lights.

I have a microscope and I would say about any full size table top model you buy ought to be all you need but it gets complicated what with using fluid and trying to get the angle right. Search for a thread here in the forums on that topic not long ago. I hardly use my microscope for edge tools so I'm not the best source of info for that.

The visors help me get edges that are easily hair whittling while the hair is still in my arm; I could not want for better edges . . . just frighteningly sharp. I debur on stones only and go for flat facets rather than roundy stropped edges so all is good in my world as far as edge tools ! ! ! !

Last edited:
The #10 Optivisor lens board is 10 diopters or 3 1/2X (power). The working distance is 4”. I most often use the #7 lens board with a magnification of 2 3/4X and a working distance of 6”. The rectangular hole in visor was an attempt to put a clip flashlight on the visor. There was no height adjustment. So I put some clips on the visor to hold a T light that goes to 80 lumens. I added a T light to my Zeiss loupe which is 4.3X and has a working distance of 16”. This rig is great for rocket surgery.
If you wear the visor upside down (without magnification), you can use the light to change tires or pitch tents in the dark. F8DB03AA-C360-42EC-BB58-F12CE4352BB2.jpeg8012B6A8-B96F-4BB3-9CCB-E896B96FA6F5.jpeg012BD35E-275A-49C2-B6BA-D1A2111F8CA6.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not a loop but I like these.
I have one at work with the highest mag lenses and the light on it.
At home I have more use for the farther focus lower power with the light on it.
The visor with the swing down loop lens has the highest mag lenses in it. The focal point is about six inches from the lens on that one, give or take.
The one with the light on it the focal point is like 18 inches or 24 inches.
The light and battery accessory is sold separately by an outfit called Quasar; just Google.
And the visors are easy to find; look at a jewelry or woodworking tool supply. Same for the swing down loop.
By the way the battery just lasts for EVER. When I first got it I left the light on and set the visor on the work bench and left for over six hours. When I came back to the dark shop and saw that the light was on it was still as bright as when I first turned it on. It's not super bright by the way; too bright reflects back and is a problem.

View attachment 871460
View attachment 871461
Thx. Ill check one out. I bet harbor freight carries them.

Ill check that setup out too. I like that t-light mod you did to it.

The #10 Optivisor lens board is 10 diopters or 3 1/2X (power). The working distance is 4”. I most often use the #7 lens board with a magnification of 2 3/4X and a working distance of 6”.
errr . . . yeah . . . like Tiguy said
(glad somebody has some facts around here)

clips on the visor to hold a T light
I have certainly needed and wanted more brightness.
Good going ! ! !
Is that light dimmable ? 80's a bit much.

Back