Lightening wood scales

I purchased a second Civivi elementum and this one has the black ebony scales. Is there anyway to lighten the wood without losing the finish? Or just lighten in general and I can refinish. I'm fine taking off the scales as needed just trying to think what may work. I used mineral spirits and that seemed to help a bit. Also put the scales in uv light but I feel like there are stronger chemicals that would be better.

Attachments

• 20211128_115632.jpg
    20211128_115632.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8
Lighten the COLOR, or the weight?
If you bought ebony, why would you want it to look like something else?

Deeply dark ebony will be the same color through it's full depth - it's not a matter of just removing the surface color to change it.. It's prized for it's dark character and density. I don't think ebony would fade much under any circumstance and I'd personally avoid trying to force it. Chemicals used might excessively dry the wood, which could create other issues like cracking or warping. Ebony is known to be a wood that seldom requires any protective sealing finish, because it's own natural oils will protect it over time. Those are the oils that might be stripped from it, if using harsh chemicals to alter it.

Some lighter woods do change color as they age, either fading, losing color (going gray) or darkening. But I don't think ebony is known for that, being a wood that's famous for holding it's color and dark character for decades or much longer, even a century or more. It's practically ageless in that regard.

I think if you're really wanting to change the look of the covers, it may be worth having somebody replace them with something more to your liking.

Last edited:
Lighten the COLOR, or the weight?
If you bought ebony, why would you want it to look like something else?
Got it online and didn't realize it was so dark. But I think I'll learn to love it. Just wanted to see more grain. But I know ebony is expensive and I'm a woodworker too so I'm sure I'll love it someday soon!

Deeply dark ebony will be the same color through it's full depth - it's not a matter of just removing the surface color to change it.. It's prized for it's dark character and density. I don't think ebony would fade much under any circumstance and I'd personally avoid trying to force it. Chemicals used might excessively dry the wood, which could create other issues like cracking or warping. Ebony is known to be a wood that seldom requires any protective sealing finish, because it's own natural oils will protect it over time. Those are the oils that might be stripped from it, if using harsh chemicals to alter it.

Some lighter woods do change color as they age, either fading, losing color (going gray) or darkening. But I don't think ebony is known for that, being a wood that's famous for holding it's color and dark character for decades or much longer, even a century or more. It's practically ageless in that regard.

I think if you're really wanting to change the look of the covers, it may be worth having somebody replace them with something more to your liking.
Just wanted more grain. But I can make a new set with something else as I have never seen aftermarket scales for element...well a few flytanium but none in wood. I'm sure could get custom too. But sounds like I'll just learn to love it ❤

Back