Lightweight Backpacking Knife (Folder or Fixed)

I'm pretty fond of the Cold steel golden eye or Buck 110LT. If I think I need more utility or function, I'll probably carry the SAK harvester which is really similar to the farmer. Usually, I don't need those extra tools and would elect for something with pliers, but usually I don't need those.

On my bike, I carry a native 5 salt. I tried to do a spyderco waterway but it was awkward for me to carry on the bike, at least how I wanted to carry it, and it was really thin so didn't add a ton more utility for what I use a knife for so the smaller package has been pleasant.

In the kayak, I have a custom bird and trout from JK Knives (deluxe hurley creek light) which comes out at 3.8 oz with sheath and g-clip. I may be replacing that soon with the smaller buck pursuit I just picked up which is supposed to weigh about 3.4 oz and has another 1.25" of blade.

I've always thought a traditional trapper or moose/muskrat pattern would make a great knife to carry for hiking as you get a lot of blade in a small package at a relatively reasonable weight, and I get to practice the "clean blade/dirty blade" principle to help keep food clean if I'm using the knife for food processing. But, It probably doesn't make more sense than a SAK or scout knife. As an example, my buck 313 weighs 2.3 oz and has 2 3" blades. For a while, I was thinking it would be cool to have a fixed blade with a SAK or trapper pouch for "big knife/little knife" for bushcraft outings, but I never really committed to it since it's just too easy to drop the SAK or trapper into a pants pocket or belt pouch or pocket on the backpack.

Here's another model, actually designed for backpacking. The P.A.C.Knife (Pack And Camp Knife). They weigh about 6.5 oz. for the knife, including the removable ferro rod in the buttcap. Sheath is about 3.5 oz.

5xcPPcT.jpg

EnNVU71.jpg

GVwpYN3.jpg

Sam:thumbsup:

The quick and easy choice would be a Mora or SA, light and the few tools would be handy. Opinel for a second choice. Now if I wanted to take one of my favorites, it would need to be my JK Bird and Trout or my Hurley Creek lite.

Last edited:
A folder has the huge advantage of needing no sheath. What hangs me up with a folder is the possibility that batoning might be necessary, to find dry wood. It's possible to baton with a folder of course (unlock it first), but not nearly as convenient. Though I think a folder would do fine 90% of the time.

Way back when I was able to hike, I carried Schrade Old Timer 7OT or Buck 110 on my belt, and a large stockman in my right front pocket.
If I were able to hike today, I'd probably carry the same thing, unless I wanted a fixed blade for some reason, in which case I'd grab my Mora Number 1 or Cold Steel FINN BEAR Puukko, and leave the stockman in my pocket.

After 2 years, 6 pages of suggestions and different points of view... Did the OP ever get to explain what he is willing to do with such a blade?

I am asking because is not the same hiking in altitude (above tree line) or the desert, where there is basically no firewood to process and little chance for hunting... than hiking through forest (where woodcraft MAY happen).

When I go to the Alps or the Pirinees to climb stuff, a fixed blade is out of the question as I can do whatever needs to be done with a folder.

Mikel

After 2 years, 6 pages of suggestions and different points of view... Did the OP ever get to explain what he is willing to do with such a blade? I am asking because is not the same hiking in altitude (above tree line) or the desert, where there is basically no firewood to process and little chance for hunting... than hiking through forest (where woodcraft MAY happen).When I go to the Alps or the Pirinees to climb stuff, a fixed blade is out of the question as I can do whatever needs to be done with a folder.
Mikel

How fortunate you are to hike in the Alps and Pyrenees! That would be so much fun. I can't answer for the OP, but I am a desert dweller. My playground is between Palm Springs and Phoenix. Used to be exclusively a folder guy, but I am migrating to a fixed blade to better process mesquite, palo verde, and greasewood for a dinnertime boil. I've been on outings where I needed to hack into some tough wood and was concerned I'd loosen my folder. For me, a light, 3-4" fixie makes sense in the desert.

How fortunate you are to hike in the Alps and Pyrenees! That would be so much fun...

I live in Bilbao (north coast of Spain, 1h30' drive from the border with France). I have the Picos the Europa mountains about 2h away and other mountains suitable for some basic ice climbing also at the same distance. Pirinees are arround 3h30'-4h30h depending where exactly I would like to go (suitable for a weekend trip). The Alps (Chamonix)... is... well... 12h away... Not what I would call "close", but feasible for at least a 5 day or longer trip. Chamonix is the Meca for the alpinists and anyone seeking some adrenaline. Expensive as hell but almost feels cheap compared to Swizerland, which is just arround the corner of Chamonix, about 35'.

On the other hand, I am soooo jealous of the desert scenery you have in some parts of the US... nothing like that arround here (unless I drive south all the way to Morocco).

And yes, considering what you have to do... I would also carry a fixed blade!

Mikel

Obviously not one knife, but a pocket sheath that can carry a small fixed blade and a 2 layer Vic carries easy, would cover most needs, and takes up very little space in a pack or pocket.

That's a pretty cool setup. Out of curiosity, have you tossed it on a scale? Interested in total weight.

Obviously not one knife, but a pocket sheath that can carry a small fixed blade and a 2 layer Vic carries easy, would cover most needs, and takes up very little space in a pack or pocket.

That is a lovely set up. That fixed blade looks familiar, but I can’t place it! Put me out of my misery... :oops:

That's a pretty cool setup. Out of curiosity, have you tossed it on a scale? Interested in total weight.
Im sorry I can’t help you, I don’t own a scale. The Cadet is listed at 1.6 ounces, and the Tops at 2.3 ounces.

Last edited:

My EDC is that same sheath, a BK-14 and an ALOX Victorinox Electrician

It works in khakis, cargos, jeans, shorts and even a suit.

I've also used some bike inner tube sections around it and it serves as my wallet with cash and cards easily accessible.

Best EDC setup ever!

The Real Steel Pointman is a great little fixed blade at a good price. 14C28N steel too, which is not a bad steel at all!

Axis lock Benchmades are good tough folders

Back