Lightweight M43

Greetings Everyone,

I'll start by saying that I'm new here, and I'm excited to have been given the opportunity to be a part of this community. My main interests are tomahawks, machetes, and kukris.

Out of the many HI models available, my favorite is the M43, for both the average length of 17" as well as the curvature of the blade, which closely resembles the Mk1 and Mk2 used by the Gurkhas during WW1 and WW2, which are my favorite style kukris, for use both in bush craft and survival scenarios. I was very disappointed when I saw M43 averaging 2.2 lbs, these no doubt are excellent choppers but wouldn't meet my needs. After more research I found that HI also made lightweight M43s and that Yangdu was an active member here at Bladeforums.com. I got in contact with her and after exchanging several emails, I'm now waiting on the next shipment of Lightweight M43 to arrive from Nepal. Needless to say I'm very excited!! Through my research I've seen Lightweight M43 at around 27 ounces, 17 inch length which along with curvature of the blade are more or less almost identical to the MK1 used in WW1.

Now if I may, Do any of you fine gentlemen here, own or have seen a M43 weighting between 24-27 oz?

The reason for my question is, that in anticipation of this shipment of M43 coming from Nepal, I would like to know if I can expect the possibility of obtaining an M43 closer to the weight of a WW2 MK2, 1 1/2 pounds. I appreciate any feed back, and thank you for the opportunity to be here.

Tagged because I want the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using this new-fangled Tapatalk technology

Yes HI makes them, but it's more common to see the heavier choppers. Take a look at Yangdu's beauty and beast deal of the day post from 4/7, the M43 is awesome. Yup I want one too :). Make sure u share photos when yours arrives

Yangdu's beauty made me drooll, its a 27 ounce blade, I want to know if they come in the weight range of 24-27 ounces, in other words lighter than Yangdu's beauty around 1 1/2lbs preferably.

I don't know if any M43s have been made in that weight range, but I want one. The M43 is attractive, functional, and in a lighter weight very suitable for my interest in kukris for martial arts.

I have one made by Lok, it has a villager satin finish, rather than the polish, which I actually prefer, and it is 18" and 21.9oz.

I love the blade, as a chopper, it could probably chop better if it was a tad heavier, but I prefer my blades to be lighter, faster, and neutral in hand. Just my personal preference. With the M43 having a chiruwa handle, it also balances out the blade quite nicely. My honest opinion, I love mine, and I do take it with when me camping, if I don't need to carry so much weight, otherwise, I bring along my Lok BAS, which is 15", 17oz.

I have one made by Lok, it has a villager satin finish, rather than the polish, which I actually prefer, and it is 18" and 21.9oz.

I love the blade, as a chopper, it could probably chop better if it was a tad heavier, but I prefer my blades to be lighter, faster, and neutral in hand. Just my personal preference. With the M43 having a chiruwa handle, it also balances out the blade quite nicely. My honest opinion, I love mine, and I do take it with when me camping, if I don't need to carry so much weight, otherwise, I bring along my Lok BAS, which is 15", 17oz.

Thank you for posting, Now I wont get any sleep, That kukri is beautiful!! congrats. Very close to what I'm looking for, just a tad heavier, a 24oz M43 would be ideal for me. Hoping one comes in that weight.

Thank you for posting, Now I wont get any sleep, That kukri is beautiful!! congrats. Very close to what I'm looking for, just a tad heavier, a 24oz M43 would be ideal for me. Hoping one comes in that weight.

You can always ask auntie to have the kamis make a custom m43 in that weight. Wait, you already did, sorry.

Exactly the size I'm looking for. 18" overall, 13" blade, 23-25oz weight.

Actually I'm just waiting for a shipment of Lightweight M43s that's coming from Nepal, hoping there is one I around 24oz, but thanks for the suggestion, ill keep that in mind.

Tarsis22:

I have a 24oz M43, but the overall length is 15", not the 17" that you seem to prefer. An advantage of the shorter length is that the knife feels lighter because the center of gravity is closer to the hand. I posted a picture of this one the other day, but here is is again:

View attachment 635460

It was made by Rajkumar Kami.

For comparison here is a Vintage WWII period khukuri of similar design, but this one is 17" OAL and 23oz.

View attachment 635462

I think the HI versions tend to be a few ounces heavier than the older military versions because nowadays and in civilian life the knives are used mostly for chopping wood and only occasionally (if at all) for self defense.

Last edited:
Tarsis22:

I have a 24oz M43, but the overall length is 15", not the 17" that you seem to prefer. An advantage of the shorter length is that the knife feels lighter because the center of gravity is closer to the hand. I posted a picture of this one the other day, but here is is again:

View attachment 635460

It was made by Rajkumar Kami.

For comparison here is a Vintage WWII period khukuri of similar design, but this one is 17" OAL and 23oz.

View attachment 635462

I think the HI versions tend to be a few ounces heavier than the older military versions because nowadays and in civilian life the knives are used mostly for chopping wood and only occasionally (if at all) for self defense.

I want that old one!

I want that old one!

They seem to come up fairly often on that well-known auction site that I don't think we're supposed to mention here.

The condition of those old knives vary a lot, and some sellers post them at exorbitant prices, but there are pretty decent deals to be had as well.

I hear there are tons of fakes out there in the vintage market. Be careful.

Nice thing about the HI handles is that they really fit the larger modern western hand size. I like a handle that really fits my grip when I'm swinging a foot of steel

Welcome to the forum! I have, as you described, a 17" 27oz M-43 by Lachhu, and it is exactly the khuk you want. I love the shape of the M-43, but always saw them well over 30oz, and that's just too much steel for me. I'm not a big guy, but mine is just big enough to do the heavy chopping, and light enough that I can swing it all day and barely notice it on my hip. Before I got this blade, I had probably 2 or 3 go-to khuks, excluding the KLVUK, and now it's just this one.

And Jens, after using this M-43 a bunch, I've been really considering a custom "M-43" with a traditional handle. That would be an awesome knife.

Welcome to the forum! I have, as you described, a 17" 27oz M-43 by Lachhu, and it is exactly the khuk you want. I love the shape of the M-43, but always saw them well over 30oz, and that's just too much steel for me. I'm not a big guy, but mine is just big enough to do the heavy chopping, and light enough that I can swing it all day and barely notice it on my hip. Before I got this blade, I had probably 2 or 3 go-to khuks, excluding the KLVUK, and now it's just this one.

And Jens, after using this M-43 a bunch, I've been really considering a custom "M-43" with a traditional handle. That would be an awesome knife.

Totally gorgeous! Did you sharpen it? If so, how?

Back