Lightweight Pach Chirra by Ram Kumar

Um: although, top one is a Dui (two) Chirra, two fullers if I'm correct. Mine has five. Thanks for sharing, George.

Did you guys take a look at the Pach Chirra? Is that a boomerang shape or what :)

Dinged edge fixed by pro knifemaker in Edmonton, Canada.

Said pro knifemaker put a 15 degree edge on the Pach Chirra. Apparently it shaves paper, faces etc. This is, to my mind, unnecessary. A convex edge was all I expected. Axe/hatchet like. Not kitchen knife!

If it does come with a 15 degree edge, what techniques would you gents recommend so as to restore that convex edge?

Id continue to sharpen it like its convex. It will eventually go convex anyway. Just be careful in the meantime not to roll the edge.

Yup, I'd leave it as is. That thing is so beautiful you'll be using it very carefully anyhow if you use it at all. I've thought of getting duplicates so I could use one and admire the other. They beg to be used and I'm sure Thamar and the others don't make them to see them in a drawer or hanging on the wall.
If it does dull just do like Ndog suggested.

That being said I just went to grab that gorgeous Dui Chirra posted the other day but see somebody grabbed it. Good for them.
If the time is right I'll grab another one for a "User".

Yeah I got one of them duplicate user lists too Bawanna. YCS, Katana, Wakizashi, Pac and all the chirras come to mind.

Finally! The Pach Chirra arrived at my home. And guess what, its actually made by my favorite kami Ram Kumar (Lahar)! And not Thamar! As evidenced by the leaf mark and the Ra La (Ramkumar Lahar) characters. Incidentally Ram Kumar was the one who made my favorite knife, the British Army Service (BAS), and my (currently in Texas, awaiting delivery later this year) Gopte!

So. This gorgeous Pach Chirra traveled by way of Nepal, Reno, California, Edmonton, Inuvik and Iqaluit (that's right, Canada's Arctic Circle), Amsterdam and Mumbai...can you believe it? Talk about a wandering knife...

It comes in at 18.7 ounces and is razor sharp, thanks to a pro skate sharpening whiz in Edmonton nicknamed, I kid you not, Attila.
Wow, a Ram Kumar that's a gorgeous Pach Chirra fighter? You can see the perfect Cho, and the satisal wood is a treat to handle. At an ounce per inch you can imagine how easily it feels like an extension of the hand!
The Chirras are so deep and symmetrical.
I now get why Ram Kumar is the man! Glad I waited. This is one light, fast, super sharp blade. The definitive fighter in my HI arsenal.

Last edited:
Back