Li'l pistachio hunter....

This is my new "belt money" knife....
4 inch blade of 1084, a nice hammon (hell. it's free!!) tapered full tang.
I'm gonna make up several for the Houston gunshow....does $89.95 with a sheath sound like too much??

pistash1.jpg
pistash2.jpg

id say more like $60 because you will sell more, but if you put a hamon on all of them and put a little info card about there making process and quality, people will understand the asking price and appriciate them more over the other knives at the gun show. and that will help sell them. it all depends how much money do they cost for you to make, and how much time you invest in them. and since this is for belt money, how many belts will you waste making the knives to buy more belts?

Blast. If you only get 90 bucks for that knife AND a sheath, it's gonna be a really long time before I get more that $20 for a knife I made. I like it a lot. I really like the profile and the simplicity of the whole thing. Very cool. Just curious, what kind of wood is that and what is the OAL?

-Will

Truth is, I've less than 3 hours in the knife and sheath. As for belts; I used stuff already in use as opposed to a "new" 80 grit for the initial grind like I do on the stuff that really turns me on. I'd guess I've less than ten bucks in everything including electricity. Your right about the "education curve" lots of people don't know a hammon from a gammon..... a nice little phamplet would do nicely don'tcha think??

regards, mitch :)

I'd say it's eight inches overall; 3.5 inches of "sharpened" blade. The wood is Pistachio!, what else. Several years back, I bought a lot of scrap wood from a custom stock maker out in CA. This stuff is (in his own words...)"ornamental Pistachio" VERY HARD!! and very cool.... has lots of colors.

thanks for the compliment!
mitch

i used to look at knives alot to buy, and the thing i alway wanted most was more info and more detail about the knife im buying. if you explain the hammon making process, and say something about how the japanese made swords like this, it will inslantly make people think of those movies where the hero and his katana can cut through anything, and they'll sell like crazy. its works ive helped my freind sell outa knives at a ren faire before just by telling people about how the knives are made!

It's just Will. I was trying to figure out what the knife had to do with Pistachios (a little big for opening them...). I probably should have figured that out. I agree with Elven about the info with the knife. Anyone can sell a knife, but not as many can sell a knife with character and a story. And a hamon looks like a defect if you don't know what it is, but it's really cool when you know what it means.

-Will

That looks like a pretty good knife for the price. I love selling at gun shows. One thing that helps sell knives is to show one of your knives cut a pakistany knife in half.

D@mn, sell me one for $20 and double your money? :D Just kidding. I sure see know reason why you couldn't get more than that. I am not much of a Jesse James fan (except he is a much better craftsman than the occ crew) but one thing he always said really sticks with me. If you do custom work do not be afraid to ask what you want. Something to that effect.

I'm gonna go buy one of those "Pak-Rambo" deals'n cut a chunk out'a it's edge!!! (useing a cool headset-voice mike and small amplifier to attract customers!! ha!)
"um... pardon me sir; but have you ever had need to cut a "pos" in half with a single stroke??? well: step rightttttttttt this way!!!

:) mitch

You won't have any problems selling knives like that for $89.95.

Heck, you probably wouldn't have too many problems selling them for $150.00, but that's just my opinion.

Pistachio is quite a rare wood as far as knifemaking goes. You rarely see it for sale, and it's both beautiful, and tough.:eek:

great grind lines ( thats one thing i have lotsa troble with!)
nice handle
good blade
so that means that its a great knife! :D
im having troble with thinking selling ( pricing)my knives to

I agree with Mike, $150+ for a knife as nice as that. very Clean lines and grinds, I like it. Heck it would take me three hours just to grind the bevels.

Spend another 1/2 hour installing a 400grit hand rubbed finish and sell them for $150 all day long. That is a killer design!

That looks like a lot of knife for $89.00. Nice bolsters and scales. I'd think if the grinds are nice and even, that knife should easily sell in or near the $150.00 range.

Beautiful work.

John

Mitch my first thought was $90 isn't enough. That is super clean work and a beautiful design. Don't short yourself on price. And you will sell them all day long.

I think that 90 bucks for a knife like that with a simple sheath is a fair price for you ~and~ the customer. Its a very nice knife with a couple sweet features that set it apart from other knives, but because it has no guard or pommel, it definitely should stay under $100. Bear in mind this is only my opinion, because that is a very excellent knife!

Beautiful Knife!!

$89.95 seems perfect to me. I would stay under $100 even tho it is obviously worth more. $100 seems like the cut off point as far as the wife factor is concerned. Maybe offer the same knife and upgrade it with bolsters and a thong hole for $125 or so? (i always like thong holes in my knives, I dont know why)

I would also include a note on the steel, wood type and the hamon and what ever else you can think of. I know when i buy something i like to know all the little details about what i bought.

If you can show the owner that they are getting more than they paid for that the name of the game.

Beautiful work!!

Do you know of any source where i could get some of that wood? would you be interested in a trade - wood for ?.

Thanks

Michael

www.AdamMichaelKnives.com

I like the idea of a thong hole and maybe some bolsters on some. I forge these to shape so they are all a little different. And, after hearing from all, I think I'll stick with the under $100 theme. Especially with so little time invested.
And Michael Kanter:
if you want to try some pistachio, I'll send you a pair of scales to try out. Just give me an address.

my email at work is:

mitchwilkins@flex.net

regards, mitch

Back