Linder Solingen

So I have just discovered this brand called "Linder" from Solingen. I had never heard of them before. I stumbled across it because I had cravings for a stag-handled knife. The Randall thread made me want a stag-handled hunting knife, but at the moment I have no Randall-money nor Randall-time. After browsing some European sites, I stumbled across Linder knives from Solingen. I did my research and they seemed ok, so I ordered the Linder Mk. 1 pictured below. It arrived today.

Presentation side:

lipTGh1.jpg

Other side:

IT9pfbv.jpg

Size comparison with Buck 110:

RIj9ZKF.jpg

So haven't really put it to the test yet, but here are my first impressions:

The fit and finish is good. At first I thought there was a very minor gap between the guard and the blade, but on closer inspection it seems to be a bit of grime. (I can't feel it with my fingernail). Otherwise, no gaps where they don't belong (the handle/tang screw has some minor space, but it's a screw, so it's gotta turn). Even the sharpening looks remarkably straight and even to the naked eye. It sliced paper admirably.

THe stag is great and looks great. THere is one minor protrusion that I might file off, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a defect in a natural material.

The ergonomics are pretty good. The handle is nice and thick and it fills my hand nicely (Size 9/xl gloves). The weight is good and the guard is functional without getting in the way. I'd almost give extra points for the lack of jimping, but that is just a pet peeve of mine. One thing that's weird at first though, is the finger choil. At first I thought it was too small and it felt weird around my finger. But the longer I held it, the better it felt. The jury's still out on this one. Even with the finger choil, the knife felt surprisingly comfy in different grips, too.

The sheath is allright. It is well constructed and they even made sure the button doesn't touch the knife. However, it lacks a drainage hole and the clasp is very very tight. But since it's leather, it'll loosen up over time. And since I'm left handed I gotta fix another sheath anyway (it is righty only).

The Linder company seems like the real deal. I contacted them via their website to ask if they also offered lefty-sheaths and got a polite reply within 10 minutes. They didn't make lefty sheaths but did refer me to a company they are in touch with that makes custom sheaths. That almost made me want to order then and there, but they could not match another deal I found, so I ended up ordering elsewhere.

The company is also apparently very humble, as the box just says: "Linder Solingen - Fine Knives".

The blade steel is 440C and the knife should set you back between €120 - €160 depending on the deal you get. (I lucked out and got one on the lower end of that range). I think that is a very reasonable price for a knife like this and this level of fit and finish. I feel like I got a lot of value for money with this one.

I've been looking at their other offerings and they offer a lot of traditional looking knives as well as some more modern ones. They also offer A LOT of their models in stag or stacked leather.

I haven't really put the knife through its' paces yet, but my first impressions are quite good. If you're looking for an affordable Solingen knife, or a knife with stag or stacked leather, you should definitely check this brand out.

Linder is one of the few original Solingen knife companies who did not get stuck in the 80s. They make some fine hunting knives, even in contemporary supersteels as M390 - they call it Powderit.

Yeah, I noticed that. I have never seen anyone else do that. Why would they do that?

I had one of those. Nice knife with a lot of obvious hand done operations in the manufacture of the knife, especially evident on the guard. The knife could be better blended, but that takes a lot of time that would increase the cost significantly. Overall it was pretty good for the reasonable price point.

The only issue I had was with the sheath. I cut the sides of the sheath a bunch putting the knife in. In retrospect I think I should have wetformed the sheath. Perhaps that was operator error, but it is something to look out for until you get your left hand sheath.

Yeah, I noticed that. I have never seen anyone else do that. Why would they do that?
Bohler M390 Microclean is a martensitic chromium steel produced with powder metallurgy - guess thats where the name comes from - dont know if Powderit is a trademark of Linder though.

It's an attractive piece, at the very least. 440C can be fairly good, and if the same effort was put into the heat treatment as the rest of the knife it'll make a fine blade. I love it when you find new or interesting things that are a good value.

Nice knife. I hadn't seen this model before, and see they make a model #2 that is sized and shaped somewhat like a Randall #5-6 if it had a full flat grind. Interesting :).

Linder makes really nice bowies,real classic Solingen knives; i have 2 of them, they also make some really nice classic daggers like their perlex dagger. I remember in the 80s there was Peter Paul Rosenkaimer, who was the son of the owner,who made really ornate custom Kris daggers among other knives.Nice thing is, they still make their bowies,daggers and most fixed blade knives like the one the op pictured in Germany not China.

Last edited:
Back