Line shaft questions

This may need to be in general discussion, but I have a question for anyone who has or has had a line drive system in their shop.

So, little back story. Due to the mining industry in part, large 5hp+ electric motors are easier to find around here and cheaper than most smaller motors. For example, I happened across a nearly new Baldor 5hp 3 phase motor recently and was quoted $50 if I'd take it away... If I didn't already have 12 projects going, and new website, and possible shop move, and...... I'd have picked it up. But at least for the moment it would end up in my 'someday' pile.

But, it made me think about the old line shaft systems. With a new and different shop setup on the horizon, it is even more intriguing. I have several projects just lacking a drive system. If anyone has experience with it, examples, etc I'd like to know about it. Is 5-7hp enough to get the job done?

Thanks.

-Eric
Overmountain Knife and Tool
Overmountain.us.com

My power hammer runs off of a line shaft. It also came with a large pedestal grinder, which I'm not using now. The motor that came with the hammer is 3 hp, but it quit on me, so now I'm using a 2 hp motor, which is plenty enough to run my 75# Bradley. Unless you're going to have a bunch of machines running at the same time, I would think 5 hp would be enough.

You can see some photos of my setup in this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/799436-Big-day-today/page3?highlight=Bradley+power+hammer

Last edited:
The old "green" line shafts were water powered !! Places like the Connecticut River were lined with shops all with line shafts !

The advantage of a line shaft is constant power at lower speed. Iy isn't really designed for VS or high speed like a direct drive motor is. They were great for running a factory of lathers and large wheel grinders, and for running pumps so the motor wouldn't flood. I wouldn't think many knife shop tools beyond a power hammer would be good candidates for one.

There was one line shaft set up by the Amish near Diggins,mo. That utilized a truck rear end and a horse.
They would yell out the window and thehorse would walk the circle to spin the axle and turn the shaft!

I saw this setup and it started my wheels turning...

PM-RESEARCH-STEAM-ENGINE-LINE-SHAFT-MACHINE-TOOL-SHOP.jpg

Stacy, I know I kinda rolled in here when I got on the knife kick heavy and was doing nothing but. But my tinkerer roots keep pulling me back, and because of the company I keep I'm getting into these weird one off fab jobs that mean using the mill or the lathe a lot. Like I just finished a cerakote job on a ballistic shield and made a bracket and handle system for it, as well as a strap setup and a breakaway setup to doff it all quickly. Almost all mill and drill press work.

And when I do heat and beat anymore it is quick one off ornamental somethings. And man I'd love to have a power hammer so my enthusiasm doesn't so quickly wane on a project...

My 1.5hp on the grinder is enough for me on its own. And I would assume most grinders would be stand alone. Especially if you want the ability to go horizontal. So I can see an effective line shaft shop with a couple of turning machines, horizontal and vertical milling machines, lathes etc and a power hammer all line shaft run. With just a couple of my more modern items here and there and a stand alone grinder... Basically spread that cheap 5-7hp motor's juevos across more than one machine... I don't do much 'real high precision' stuff, so the older machines spruced up a little are just fine. And easy to find, especially on the east coast.

I dunno. Like most things, probably another stupid daydream with no basis in reality... Lol.

Thanks for the input.

-Eric
Overmountain.us.com

The other thing people forget about a line shaft is that it is a precision rotating shaft. The bearings, shaft size, and alignment need to be perfect. The faster it turns, the more precise it needs to be. This isn't a cheap add-on to a shop.

Last edited:
The other thing people forget about a line shaft is that it is a precision rotating shaft. The bearings, shaft size, and alignment need to be perfect. The faster it turns, the more precise it needs to be. This isn't a cheap add-on to a shop.
Not to keep riding this dead subject of a thread, but I thought I'd finish out the thought process at least. Well, my thought process after input here and further thought.

And that's the kicker Stacy. I honestly hadn't thought that far into it. I have access to precision round bar in long lengths, and pillow block bearings. But I didn't take into account the precision that would have to be built into the supporting structure for the shaft, and the fact it would have to be solid as a mutha to last for very long. Depending on the length and load of course.
And I think a lot of loss would be seen in the transfers from motor to shaft, shaft through bearings, and back to shaft. I had noticed flywheels on some older systems too, I reckon to ward off the jerk of sudden power application at one point or another. Or at the same time... And balancing such a flywheel would be a pain too I suppose... And with the line shaft, if that motor goes, you're down more than one machine....

At the end of the day, individual motors are the way to go and I suppose why technological improvements sent us this way. On the flip side, if anyone is looking for big 5+ hp motors, good for constant duty shop-wide air compressors or big hydraulics I reckon. And maybe good for a power hammer build? Look to the mining industry. Especially here where we have a company about to lose everything but their underwear... They're selling off anything they can find for a little bit of cash...

-Eric
Overmountain.us.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I didn't even get into how the safety inspector or OSHA would feel about all those open belts and giant sheaves.

Back