Liner lock repair - fixed

I have this liner lock knife that I purchased used on this site. The seller mentioned that he was not sure if the blade stayed in place if the blade was hit on the back side. I did not understand or did not pay attention to the statement at the time. Anyway I would like to carry it more but just not comfortable with the lock not holding. Does anyone know if it can be corrected or is it worth the trouble? Here is a link to a for sale add with pictures:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1389062-(2)-Folders-Withrow-and-Foster

Thanks,
Nelson

Last edited:
Would need to see pictures of the the lockup and top when open to give you any kind of answer.

There's nothing wrong with that lock, based on the pic.

Visually speaking sure, but if I tap the back of the blade the lock does not hold it open. Not a big deal if you don't really ever want to use the knife.

If you are talking about a wacking the back of the blade on a piece of wood (with the knife open and locked in place) the blade lock should hold with a light smack. Hitting it hard is not a normal test for a knife. If it holds with the light smack you should be fine.

Well it doesn't take much pressure for it to give, and the blade is very sharp. Not interested in losing any tissue now days. Imagine closing a new case folder, it's easier that that.

Sounds like maybe a stop pin and/or weak liner.

Request a refund or contact the maker. That is far from normal behavior for any lock.

Does it matter that the surface of the blade that contacts the liner lock is cut at an angle?

It shouldn't matter much. I have had liner and frame locks with contacts all over the place, ranging from one corner barely touching to almost the entire lock face in contact, and all were dead solid.

Well unfortunately this one is not. It's a shame because I really like the way it looks, and its size is just right.

dkb45 - not sure of the age of the knife. Just hoping someone had a suggestion of someone who could correct the issue.

From the picture the knife looks pinned, but it is screwed together, you could (if you are comfortable trying) take the knife apart and try adjusting the tension of the lock bar a little. I have done this to at least 50 folders and it has helped alleviate vertical play, slight lock slip, and early lock up (different knives, I didn't try to fix a complete junker that way). If you aren't comfortable we have multiple people here who would likely be willing to help a fellow forumite, myself included.

Thanks for the info and offer to help. I will take it apart and do a visual inspection and check the tension of the lock bar. Do you add tension with your hands/fingers or use pliers? Did this before on a BM Alias and hi power sear spring - by hand. Thanks, Nelson

I did it by hand every time except for once or twice, which I had to use some paracord looped around to get extra pull strength on a knife with thick liners and no cutout.

Ronnie Foster is a really nice guy. I am sure he'd fix it for you. I bought a knife from him a number of years ago and at the time he promised me that he'd repair it for as long as he was able. I have had no problems with mine at all. His handles are a true joy and with mine, the edge is superb flat, almost zero, grind. It's 440c and I dropped it on concrete with the tip down, which bent but did not break. That's quite a heat treat. If I recall correctly, that dimple on your tang is a hardness test. Yours looks like someone resharpened the original edge in a not-so-nice manner. Maybe somebody has already jacked with the knife.

Last I looked, about a year or so ago, he was still a member of the Arkansas Knifemakers and the American Blade Society. I think the only show he does now is the one in Little Rock. You should be able to find his contact info on line. He's a ABS Master Smith. Have him fix it and restore the edge.

I would not hesitate carrying it at all, looks like a gentleman's knife and not a hard use knife. Just treat it as if it were a slip joint

Back