Lining for Holster

Hope it's okay to post this here.

I need to make a holster for a Colt Woodsman pistol. I don't want the leather to ruin the bluing, so I am thinking of lining the holster. Is there a well-known material that works well for this purpose?

Just about anything you use can eventually wear the bluing some. I have always just used thin vegetable tanned leather as a lining. The trick is to keep it, or any other lining material, as free from dust and grit as possible or it can and will imbed and turn thin leather into a mild abrasive, like a lap. If you actually plan to carry and use it, some minor wear can be expected over time. I have some pistols I have carried a few times for years with no noticeable wear. The one or two I carry and use in the woods and around the property daily show a bit more lightening but it has taken years.
Randy

Some of the materials Ive seen used for liners are Pigskin, Deer skin, Suede, thin veggie tanned cowhide, I've also seen textiles as well but not sure how they hold up, heck even saw one with felt but that one has to be beat up by the sights.

I would recommend against suede from my experience. It picks up and holds debris really well. I know the softer leathers sound great as a way to protect a finish and , if not carried or used in a dusty environment, they will probably work fine.
Randy

Pigskin but as stated pretty much anything rubbing will effect the bluing over time.

Yeah I use smooth leather as suedes, splits etc can harbor dust. I've over the last couple of years been using water buffalo and I really like it, such as this Rangeflap holster:

gYYPVW6.jpg

The Rangeflap is the only holster I line.

c64PvSC.jpg

Back