(links to non-site supporting vendors removed by staff. please read terms of service.)

It's actually under the big rules heading
8. No Deal Spotting

BladeForums.com stays open due to paid subscriptions from various member groups, including Dealers who help sponsor this site. A dealer who does not have a paid subscription is not allowed to advertise in any way, shape, or form. In the past, dealers have used 'shill' accounts to promote themselves & their products; as a result we've limited all dealer advertising to The Exchange or registered Dealers with active paid subscriptions.

The short, simple version is that links cannot be posted to sites/pages that sell...unless the owner of that site/page is a supporting dealer here.

I did some looking, and found the version that I remembered...not as politely phrased; but more to the point:
Auction / Deal / Bargain Spotting -- Do not do this.
This is a variation of the "no spam" rules that we have. We know you found a great deal on a Ninja Death Tool 3000 - we don't care. If that dealer wants to advertise on BladeForums.com, encourage them to purchase a Dealer membership here instead of giving them free advertising.

Last edited:
hhmoore hhmoore Thank you. That is a terribly obfuscated way to say "don't post vendor links." Worse it does not explain what "advertise" means. If I mention where I bought something, or where someone can buy something, is that advertising? If I reference a proprietary product, or one that has a sole distributor, is that advertising? If I write "I like Benchmade knives" is that advertising?

Last edited:
I believe the rule has just never really be reworded to perhaps be clearer indication of its practical use and effects.

hhmoore hhmoore Thank you. That is a terribly obfuscated way to say "don't post vendor links." Worse it does not explain what "advertise" means. If I mention where I bought something, or where someone can buy something, is that advertising? If I reference a proprietary product, or one that has a sole distributor, is that advertising? If I write "I like Benchmade knives" is that advertising?
Just don't talk about where you bought it unless they're a dealer here. It's pretty much that simple.

It's a sticky at the top of the Dealer section of the Exchange. When you want to know who the supporting dealers are, go to the section they use :thumbsup:

Boru13 Boru13
Am I correct in assuming that it is acceptable to link to manufacturer or maker sites if they have a subforum here?

Links to the actual manufacturer are fine

The link to the list is below.

So not all "Dealer / Materials Provider" users are in the safe list?

rycen rycen I am uncertain of the context and therefore meaning of your comment. Are links to manufacturer sites generally OK, or only specific ones? As an example say the product page for a DMT sharpening item?

So not all "Dealer / Materials Provider" users are in the safe list?

rycen rycen I am uncertain of the context and therefore meaning of your comment. Are links to manufacturer sites generally OK, or only specific ones? As an example say the product page for a DMT sharpening item?

No, everyone of them are probably not on there. It was updated last October and there has probably been a handful to register since or others that have been here and are unaware of it.

Rycen was replying to hhmoores comment who was expanding upon your question of where we are allowed to link.
DMTs site would be ok as they make their own stuff, just as Benchmades, Spydercos etc. Linking to one of their authorized dealers who are not a dealer member here would not.

Last edited:
Back