Liquid metal

Im new on this site so please forgive me if i step on any toes here lol. I have been recently commisioned to create a set of butterfly swords for a local Kung Fu Mo Kwoon as a symbol to be passed down from the current master to the next in line when he dies. Needless to say this is the highest honor i have ever been bestowed and the only substance that seems worthy of such an item is Liquidmetal technologies LM2 alloy. Has anyone here had any experience in working with this material and what is the easiest source to aquire this from? Ive tried the direct manufacturer and havent heard a response back yet lol, so im running into a bit of frustration.

Joshua Skelton said:
Im new on this site so please forgive me if i step on any toes here lol. I have been recently commisioned to create a set of butterfly swords for a local Kung Fu Mo Kwoon as a symbol to be passed down from the current master to the next in line when he dies. Needless to say this is the highest honor i have ever been bestowed and the only substance that seems worthy of such an item is Liquidmetal technologies LM2 alloy. Has anyone here had any experience in working with this material and what is the easiest source to aquire this from? Ive tried the direct manufacturer and havent heard a response back yet lol, so im running into a bit of frustration.
1) email RW clark for more info about this. I believe he has used it in the past.
IMO, if these are to be kept for such a long time, I would consider using a high quality stainless, like 440C or BG-42. Good Luck.

Are they planning on using them? I was under the impression that liquid metal's main benefits were extreme flexibility, and a very fine edge. Its pretty soft and wouldn't hold up to any kind of impact (edge would dent or roll) IIRC.

For such a tradition based project as this I would think you'd want to use a more traditional material :confused:

Extremely difficult to work, avalilable only from the manufacturer, and will not hold an edge well.

I suggest something else, possibly Damasteel for a presentation piece.

Not to mention the health hazard in grinding the junk. Would use different steal. Try stainless damascus or one of the higher grade stainlesses, S90,S60,S30. :cool:

Kim is right on about this material being hazzardous, Beryllium is not legal to buy on the open market in the modern world except the USA. Liquid metal is really not that good of blade steel....Be Safe...Ed

If it's only meant to be a display piece, I can see using stainless steel, or liquid metal, or even aluminum for that matter. However, if you want it to be a truly functional weapon first and foremost, then you need a shock resistant steel. Think L6, CPM-3V, S5, etc.

Let us know which way you're going with it.

Forget LM1 for now. They are not selling to the public and I am the only maker with a direct source for it.

It would perform prefectly for the job you are doing. Heck I am even making a full dress Katana for the company using their LM1. It is do be the centerpiece of the new overseas office entry room.

But if for no other reason, stick with a more conventional metal due to the lack of it availble and it is also a bitch to work with and do it right.

Back