List of all steels used by Busse to date?

Ad

So far I know of INFI, A2, ATS-34, and D2. Are there any others? Also, what year(s) were all the steels used?

I used 440C on some of the original Argonne Assaults. . . Please forgive me. . .they were for amphibious assault and jungle warfare and their top priority was rust resistance.

Also Vasco Wear, Stellite 6K, 0-1, A-2, D-2, I probably used more D-2 than any other maker out there except for Bob Dozier who is now actually made out of D-2 ;)---in fact I still have over 18,000 lbs of D-2 in my old shop along with approx. 14,000 lbs. of A-2. I never have to worry about that building blowing away! Also, ATS-34, 154CM in the late 80's when you could only get it in 3/16" thick, very narrow bars 1.25" wide I think), BG-42 sometime between '89 - '91 . . . long before anyone else had used it, that I'm aware of., Homemade Damascus (0-1 and 1018), some other exotic steels I'd have to look up to remember, including a Maraging Cobalt/Nickel "350 Vasco Max" or something like that. . . .Weird stuff, you simply baked it at 900 degrees for 9 hours and it would harden out at 58-60 Rc with no chance of rusting. . . NONE!

I was very fortunate in the steel department mainly due to the fact that Koncor industries is within 8 miles of my shop and they are, or were, a division of Latrobe steel and I believe Crucible. I knew the guys at the plant pretty well, so I got a shot at anything new that came in.

I would constantly go there in search of the perfect steel. . .But I could never seem to find exactly what I was looking for. . . . . .back then.

Happily, I haven't been there since 1997!!! ;)

Jerry

Originally posted by Jerry Busse
I would constantly go there in search of the perfect steel. . .But I could never seem to find exactly what I was looking for. . . . . .back then.

Happily, I haven't been there since 1997!!! ;)

Jerry

I knew that was going to be said at some point ;) :D

Jerry
I probably used more D-2 than any other maker out there except for Bob Dozier who is now actually made out of D-2

LMAO :D .

I had a chance to BS w/ Bob at ECCKS, and I think Jerry is right ;) .

Bob's a great guy. As for steel content, I'm about 70% INFI, 20% A-2, and 10% D-2. A few more years of grinding and I should have all of those other steels washed out of my system. That'll make me 100% INFI!!! Hmmmmmm . . .. . I hope that means that I'll be able to bend better than I can now!!! ;)

Jerry

Jerry, are you still grinding out blades in A2 and D2? Under what circumstance(s) would this be done? Do you ever have current customers specifically ask for these steels?

Back