List of GEC knives and if they have half stops, and lengths

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by 2Dead, Jul 25, 2013.

1. TomR2

TomR2

May 17, 2015
    I'm new to traditionals and curious. What's the significance of with/without half stops? Why is this an important distinction between models? Coming in from outer space, I would've thought lock back or no, to be at least as important a distinction. Why not? Just trying to understand.

2. hamsco

hamsco Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    You can now update that the #18 Coyote does indeed have half stops.

:thumbup:

3. 2Dead

2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    Yep, the Farm Field and Fish (FFF) #65 does have half stops. Same lengths too. The difference being the FFF is a shadow pattern, no bolsters, and is made with 420HC stainless steel.

Its mostly a preference thing. A knife with a half stop will stop half way between open and closed. These blades typically have square tangs. Some people like them as they can "catch" the blade before it closes fully so the blade doesn't close on your fingers as a little extra force would be required to pass the squared corner. Others don't like them because on knife with strong back springs it can make the blade hard to open or even pull the blade out of your fingers if you don't have a good grip.

The alternative is a cam or rounded tang. These, in my experience, require a little less force to open/close and typically have a smoother, more consistent, opening/closing feel.

Also, its usually easy to tell if a knife is a lockback just by looking at it where as you can't really tell with a slip joint without taking a look at the tang or handling it. Lockbacks typically don't have half stops either.

Thanks :) Added the update. The #18 Beagle will probably have half stops too but I'll hold off until folks have them in hand.

4. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Northfield 98 Texas Camp Knife - half stops on all blades and tools.

5. 2Dead

2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks Al :) I added it to the list.

6. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    What a great thread thanks so much Trand.:thumbup: I am going to print a copy of the list and add it to the notebook I am making for quick reference on knives. I belong to other knife forums but the knowledge and willingness to share it by the members here keep me coming back 99.9% of the time.

7. sb000

sb000

Sep 14, 2015
    This list is awesome; thanks to all who contributed!

8. olywa

olywa Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I have 2 #18 Beagles and can confirm that they have half-stops.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. redcanoe

redcanoe Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2012
    #98 Tidioute whittler no halfstop on main, halfstop on secondaries

10. 2Dead

2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks to you both!! I've updated the list.

11. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    The 98 cattle knife has half stops on all 3 blades.

12. gazoline

gazoline

Feb 26, 2014
    The #57 Wrangler does not have any half stops on the two blades nor on the awl.

13. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Wanted to bring this back up to the top for those that don't know about it. I use this thread for reference quite a bit.

I don't know enough to update it myself but maybe it could be updated by someone who knows. Not sure if the OP is still around.

2Dead and AlwaysTomboy like this.
  14. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Good idea, David. I've been subscribed to this thread for a few years and I refer back to it every now and then. It's a very useful reference tool when I need it.

2Dead still pops in here occasionally.

2Dead likes this.
  15. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2016
    The missing ones are:
    #14 Lick Creek, Boy’s Knife
    3 1/16 closed
    2 3/8 main
    Half Stops

#35 Drover, Harness Jack, Churchill
    3 3/4 closed
    2 11/16 main
    No Half Stops

#44 Buffalo Jack
    3 1/2 closed
    2 7/8 main
    Half Stops

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    hamsco, 2Dead, JohnDF and 1 other person like this.
  16. 2Dead

2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    Its good to know this is still of use!! I had stopped updating it partially because I haven't bought many new knives to update with and that dealers started posting this info on their sites as well.

Pop :p:D

Thanks Mike, I updated both posts.

I also removed the table with the broken formatting in post 3 and changed it to something similar, just separated by asterisks.

hamsco, CasePeanut, peanutsxx and 4 others like this.
  17. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Thanks, Trand!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Sweet. Thx for popping in 2Dead. ;)

19. a-c

a-c

Jul 9, 2014
    #35 F&F Calf Pen has half stops on both blades.

20. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    I still refer to this list all the time. Are we able to make updates with the newer models?

Pogonasong likes this.