Little boys, sticks, and knives.

Yesterday Karen and I went Annapolis for breakfast to meet up with a couple of friends we had not seen in a few weeks. Deb and Tom are attorneys and Deb worked for the same Law firm Karen used to work for, and they became fast friends. A young couple in thier late 30's, they have a very interesting little boy named Shay. Yesterday I saw how some things are an instinct that is in the genes.

Both Deb and Tom are what one could safly say liberal, but nice. Drive a BMW, have a home on the Severn river, affluent but down to earth. When Deb had Shay she took a new age approach that I am unfamiliar with, and before little Shay had the ability of speach, tought him sign laguage. Now this is being done these days and the result is the little person learns to comunicate at a much younger age, and when they do learn to talk, they are VERY articulate. Shay is an example of this.

Unffortunatly Shay at just shy of 3 years old has a broken leg from an incident on a slide. So here he is at our breakfast unable to get down and move much he's a little bored. Tom hands him some odd building blocks that are groups of three in odd configuations so he is occupied for a while. Kind of a spacial relationship kind of thing, fitting the odd shapes together. This keeps him occupied for a while, then like any little kid sitting there while the adults talk, he gets a little figgity. With the cast on his leg and doctors orders not to walk on it, the poor little guy is stuck. He picks up a butter knife from the table and starts trying to saw his way thru one of his blocks. Since it is a dull butter knife, daddy Tom observes but takes no action. I sense a need of something.

I tell Karen to change places with me, so I am sitting next to Shay. Shay and I know each other from other get togethers. He shows me his shiney butter knife, and goes back to experimenting to see if it will cut anything. He saws on napkins, wood blocks, has some sucsess with a blueberry muffin. At 2 and maybe 3/4ish he seems to have a facination with a knife.

"You know Shay, some knives are not that dull, and if you're not carefull you can get hurt." I tell him.

He looks up at me with a very serious look in his big brown eyes.

"They are? " he askes.

I tell him all knives should be handled very carefully, and I explain it so even his new age liberal dad sitting on the other side of him could understand. I know Tom does not carry a pocket knife, and Deb has a little pair of folding sissors in her purse. I take out my little Buck pocket knife. Shay's eyes lock on it like a hawk on a mouse.

"You see Shay, if you see a knife like this laying around, you should know its alot sharper than that butter knife. Look." I take his hand and put the open knife in his right hand held by my right hand, and we slice a suger packet open. Then we sharpen a crayon that had got dull coloring. Shay's eyes get big as he feels the knife slice through the crayon with ease. I keep his right hand in my hand, and his left hand in my left hand, and we slice muffin, crayon, and a paper napkin. Shay is impressed. I gently take the knife back and I tell him it could cut off part of his finger if he's not carefull with it. He pulls his little hands into fists back against his chest.

"Not my fingers, no way."

We next try a couple slices on a celery stick from a Bloody Mary, and Shay likes it. He looks up at Tom.

"Daddy, can I have a pocket knife?"

Little boys and pocket knives.

Tom thinks about this. "Maybe when you get a little older."

Breakfast over we decide to take a walk on the Annapolis waterfront. Its a cold but sunny day, and Shay goes into his stroller with a sling made from a leather belt to keep his cast leg out strait. Shay gets facinated by my walking stick. He asks many questions, what is it, and when Karen tells him it used to be a small tree he askes if it was cut down with the pocket knife. He's making the conection with the cutting tool he handled. I give Shay the stick and he examines it closely, pokes it at a nearby patch of snow and giigles as the ice scatters. Little boys and sticks.

I think back at how many little boys I've seen do the same thing. They seem to have some deep level of attraction to knives and sticks. Even little boys with liberal parents. I wonder if its ingrained on our genes from a very distant past that little male examples of the human race are drawn to sticks and knives, man's two oldest tools. I can picture it in my minds eye, some dim fire lit cave, a small boy in some kind of hides watching an older male chipping away a new edge on a flint spear tip. Learning by watching the hunter.

Having been around my share of children, I have seen how a little girl will love to play with a little tea set with her friends. They will have their dolls set up at the table, and imitate their mom's behavior in the kitchen. But the same age little boys, are by comparison, violent little heathens building thier forts in the woods, and planning to take over the nieghborhood by conquest. Rocks and missles are stockpiled, and sticks are brandished. Little boys love sticks and pocket knives. Later, anything that throws any projectile will be a valued item as well. Slingshots, BB guns, 105mm recoiless.

I watched little Shay yesterday and came to a conclusion. Lorne Green was right in those old Alpo dog food comercials. He always said; "Instinct. You can't breed it out of an animal."

Great story and true. One 13 year old and two 10 year old boys running around this house and I need to keep a close inventory of the sharp things as they come up missing from time to time. I partially solved the problem by getting them Alox cadets but I still "misplace" knives.

Knives and sticks for sure (arrows, bows, spears, fishing poles, lean toos etc) plus for me I was a bit of a fire bug. Later when I was older I wondered if I was a bit odd to have such a huge attraction to firemaking until I realized how many folks can not start one to literally save their life. Now looking back it seems that this ancient skill was born into me and I am grateful.
Bill

Funny timing. I just removed a bamboo reed from the kitchen counter that my daughter and I cut down on an "adventure" yesterday. I am going to put it in the garage next to the walking sticks and beaver sticks we've collected over time. Or should I put it in the attic next to the bucket full of shavings my son was hiding in the attic from whittling magic wands:)? Kids and sticks and knives indeed!

My nearly two year old daughter has a fascination with knives too. I think it's because she sees me using a pocket knife, SAK, or multitool frequently (she also likes motorcycles and tractors, which appalls my in-laws :D). I gave her a toy SAK, but she knows the difference and loves to get ahold of mine. I let her handle them with the blades closed and supervised. I think she's a little too young right now for the lesson you gave to your friends' boy, but I will remember to use your approach when she's three-ish, or when it seems appropriate.

Nice tale, jackknife!
My youngest boy loved sticks, and always collected a bunch when we went out for a walk. He would have as many as 30 or 40 in his stash by the back door. I wonder if that was the knife collecting gene showing through:confused::D?
Maybe it will rear its head again; I hope so, as his older brother is only interested in guitars:rolleyes:!;)

Nice tale, jackknife!
My youngest boy loved sticks, and always collected a bunch when we went out for a walk. He would have as many as 30 or 40 in his stash by the back door. I wonder if that was the knife collecting gene showing through:confused::D?
Maybe it will rear its head again; I hope so, as his older brother is only interested in guitars:rolleyes:!;)

That is sooo typical! I don't know how many times we've been walking in the state park or other public hiking trail, and a family will come walking the other way and as they pass us I notice that all the kids have picked up a stick to use as a hiking stick, or just to swat at a bush here and there as they walk. I think its just instinctive.

I have a private theroy that 99.9% of all human behavior can be traced back to the cave. I look at some of the debates right here on the forums like a big knife vs a small knife, 9mm vs .45, and I can see a cave with some fur clad guys chewing on some warthog bones and debating the light short spear thrown at high velocity vs a longer heavy spear with more mass behind it. Old gronk is a hold out for the heavy old style point while Rog is pushing for that new fangled Folsom point with its streamlined shape and lighter weight.

Another thing dad used to tell me; nothing ever changes in human nature. :D

My sister-in-law had this genius idea that she wasn't gonna allow my 2 nephews to EVER have toy guns
My nephew comes to my mom's house and finds a tin of vintage 1960's Tinker Toys
I turn around and he is shooting me with his "UZI style" tinker toy gun he made in about 30 seconds
It made me smile

I told my nephew when he turns 12 I am gonna buy him a Ruger 10/22 rifle and teach him how to shoot it
No word on what his mom thinks of the gift idea yet ;)

Sticks huh?
Now that you mention it I think I sharpened a bunch of broom handles and used them a spears when I was about 9 years old.................

Great story, and so true. Both of my boys love knives, and one is a stick collector.

When I was a pup, my favorite thing was finding things to turn over, like rocks, boards, and rotting logs, to see what lived underneath. Nets to dip in the water and seines quickly become articles of attention too. Usually every neighborhood had a tomboy that was all about this stuff.

Anyone who has a little boy needs to find a good creek or lake and take him crawdad or frog hunting. I'm getting pretty old and I still like to turn over rocks and run nets through a creek and see what I can find. Jackknife's observations about boys made me remember some of the dirt clod wars we had in areas where they were digging basements for new houses.

Knives and sticks for sure (arrows, bows, spears, fishing poles, lean toos etc) plus for me I was a bit of a fire bug. Later when I was older I wondered if I was a bit odd to have such a huge attraction to firemaking until I realized how many folks can not start one to literally save their life. Now looking back it seems that this ancient skill was born into me and I am grateful.
Bill

There is quite a bit of appreciation on a chilly fall picnic day, when there is guy who knows how to gather all of the essential pieces to getting a roaring fire going.

I good trick I learned is to save the following things during the year:
1) Dryer lint
2) Cardboard egg cartons
3) Glass jars full of leftover candle wax.

Pack the egg cartons full of dryer lint, then I get a bid shallow pan of boiling water to melt all of the leftover wax, and pour it over the filled egg carton sections. Once the wax sets back up you're good to go. A couple of those single egg compartments placed under a kindling stack are great starters for getting the fire going.

My nearly two year old daughter has a fascination with knives too. I think it's because she sees me using a pocket knife, SAK, or multitool frequently (she also likes motorcycles and tractors, which appalls my in-laws :D). I gave her a toy SAK, but she knows the difference and loves to get ahold of mine. I let her handle them with the blades closed and supervised. I think she's a little too young right now for the lesson you gave to your friends' boy, but I will remember to use your approach when she's three-ish, or when it seems appropriate.

I experience this on a daily basis as well. My daughter is the same age and has a great facination with my neck knives. Great thing about her is she doesn't get into what she is not supposed to touch. The only time she touches a knife is if it is on dads neck or in her way of a toy (always sheathed or closed and never left alone with her). It is definately human nature to want to do what the parents do. I feel like teaching respect is the way to go rather than hiding life from kids. Growing up I shared a room with my grandpa and as a result had 20-30 guns hanging on the wall and the gun cabnet in my room. Learned early on to respect what those things were and never played with them as I knew what they were capable of. Funny how modern thought is that I would die if that happened now!

My 19 month old son is facinated with the case trapper I carry most of the time now. I have found him carrying it around the house and I know that he has snuck into our room and dug into my pants pocket. He seems to ignore the tactical that is in the front pocket and goes to the left back pocket for the trapper. This is driving my wife crazy, fortunaltly he can't open either of them now as he is in need of some safe knife lessons. Steven

Jackknife, once more you have hit the nail on the head. And thank God that little boy had you around to begin his education in the tools of mankind! There was a time, and it seems not so long ago, when fathers taught their sons natural and necessary things like this. I suppose polite society and political correctness has done its best to breed that out of us, though.

I am convinced that there is still so very much instinctive behavior in us all, but usually it's suppressed by our modern lifestyle by the time a kid becomes a teenager. All young human males are just naturally attracted to tools and weapons of all kinds, though, and, with just the slightest exposure, they are immediately interested in all manner of hunting and fishing. If the length of time our species and other closely related species have existed on this earth was distilled down into a millennium it would only be the time needed for the blink of an eye since we were hunters and gatherers, so boys' and men's affinity for weapons still lies lightly just under the surface of our personalities.

There is quite a bit of appreciation on a chilly fall picnic day, when there is guy who knows how to gather all of the essential pieces to getting a roaring fire going.

I good trick I learned is to save the following things during the year:
1) Dryer lint
2) Cardboard egg cartons
3) Glass jars full of leftover candle wax.

Pack the egg cartons full of dryer lint, then I get a bid shallow pan of boiling water to melt all of the leftover wax, and pour it over the filled egg carton sections. Once the wax sets back up you're good to go. A couple of those single egg compartments placed under a kindling stack are great starters for getting the fire going.

Don't use just any dryer lint- burning nylon or polyester is toxic. I make my own, washing a set of about 15 flannels that are cotton-wool.

That reminded me of a book we went through at our mens bible study called "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge, talking about how men instinctivly are warriors from birth, It's a wonderful bible series if you have a small group thing going on, or even a solo study...

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=218955&event=CFN

Product Description
Helping men rediscover their masculine heart, Wild at Heart, a guide to understanding Christian manhood and Christian men, offers a refreshing break from the chorus of voices urging men to be more responsible, reliable, dutiful ... and dead. God designed men to be dangerous, says Eldredge. Simply look at the dreams and desires written in every boy's heart: to be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk. Sadly, most men abandon those dreams and desires---aided by a Christianity that feels like nothing more than pressure to be a "nice guy." It's no wonder that many men avoid church, and those who go are often passive and bored to death. In this provocative book, Eldredge gives women a look inside the true heart of a man and gives men permission to be what God designed them to be---dangerous, passionate, alive, and free.

Don't use just any dryer lint- burning nylon or polyester is toxic. I make my own, washing a set of about 15 flannels that are cotton-wool.

Nice thought, and I'd probably prefer a natural ignition source, but I'll go ahead and pollute rather than separate the wash. I'm lucky to get the wash done as it is.

Bringing this one back to the top based on a run in I had yesterday. There's a long story in here, but for the sake of brevity I'll give you the condensed version. My little sister is getting married tomorrow and a because of this big event I saw an extended family member yesterday for the first time in almost 15 years. She has had a very tragic life in that she lost her mother, father and husband all very unexpectedly at different points in her life. The latest loss, her husband, happened about a year and a half ago due to a car accident. Her husband left behind an 11 year old boy and 4 year old girl, now 13 and 6 respectively. She told me a bunch of unbelievable stories of the strength these two kids have displayed in light of losing their father. One in particular I thought the crew here would appreciate.

This young boy has for the last year been craving things to do with the outdoors. After much talk about hunting, fishing and all else that the outdoors has to offer his mom finally allowed him to take hunter's ed. Big high five for the single mom letting that boy do that. For understanding the innate desire for the outdoors and helping to foster it by allowing this.

Knowing that the boy lacks a man in his life to help him along in his journey I asked the mom if she would mind him having a pocket knife. She told me it was funny I asked because he'd been wanting one. Well I get the privilege of getting him his first knife. I think I'm going with a Vic soldier, or maybe another red handled version, but a SAK it will be. I've been running through the talk I'm going to have with him about properly handling it, how to keep it sharp etc. In any event tomorrow a boy gets his first knife and I get to give it to him. I'm honored and probably more excited than he is. I'll let you know how he reacts when I give it to him.

Back