"Little" Green Bowie

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Little is a little misleading...She isn't a large Bowie but it is hardly a dainty piece. Been working on some belt size usable camp/utility Bowie designs this week and I managed to get this one off paper. It is 11 9/16 overall with a 6 5/16 blade(tip to handle). When I reached into my steel stack I pulled out a thick piece of 5160. The spine is 5/16 thick!!!! Now that was intentional as I like my personal blades to be choppers. The thicker steel gives the shorter blade some weight for chopping but I took the edge down nice and thin so it will still slice and cut like a champ :) Also I drilled out the tang a bit to keep the knife from being too heavy. The clip was added to help with penetration and pull a little weight off the blade. I used the same green handle material as I used on my recent Bushcraft knife and I LOVE the texture of this stuff! It is similar to a heavily sand blasted canvas micarta. The exposed fibers give even a smooth handle shape a lot of grip. I finished it out a little rough like my Reality Check series. My intentions for this pattern would be as a main cutting tool on a day hike when axes and saws probably would not be carried. Paired with a SAK or other small folder, you could easily put together a nice camp and shelter with a stack of firewood to boot:) Paired with a hatchet or saw, I would probably opt for a thinner steel stock. My winter hikes had me thinking about the smaller knives I was carrying to keep weight down and quite frankly they didn't inspire me if I had to build shelter or supply firewood so I wanted something hike friendly but still a bit heavier just in case. I think this one would do :D
Green+Utility+Bowie.JPG

I'm not sure...you should ship that to me for testing. Gene

Excellent. I'm really liking smaller, thick-spined knives lately, 5/16"-3/8". they have a very different feel in the hand that i really like! Beautiful work as always, Bill...

Back