Little hand axe with 1080 steel

Hello everyone

I just purchased a 14" hatchet from Sears made by Vaughan in the U.S.A. It has 1080 steel as
as I was informed by Vaughan. Nice little hand held hatchet.

ripshin lumberjack

Hello everyone

I just purchased a 14" hatchet from Sears made by Vaughan in the U.S.A. It has 1080 steel as
as I was informed by Vaughan. Nice little hand held hatchet.

ripshin lumberjack

Does it mention it on the label or you can just tell with putting a file to it?

Why not buy the first run hatchet staight from Vaughan for less than $22? US made. And I bet it has a great heat treat.

http://www.vaughanmfg.com/shopping/Products/Supersteel-Camp-Axe__SC1-1-fslsh-4.aspx
The advantage of the craftsman branded Vaughan camp hatchet are the fact that any sears should have them in stores to be picked through, and the lack of that really tough blue epoxy coat paint Vaughn uses.
I've not seen the Vaughan camp hatchets in stores anywhere, I only see their excellent hammers , pry bars , half hatchets ,and riggers axes.
BTW I own Vaughan & craftsman hammers made by Vaughan and both are obviously the same Steel. I am 100% confident that they use the same Steel no matter what brand they will be marked. If Vaughan says they use 1080 Steel, you can rest assured that anything they make for craftsman will also be 1080 Steel.

Last edited:
I'm just saying that there might be better fit and finish on the Vaughan branded model and it doesn't cost much more. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the hardware stores.

I'm just saying that there might be better fit and finish on the Vaughan branded model and it doesn't cost much more. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the hardware stores.
When I picked the best of the bunch out for my grandmother, all of the hammers and hatchets at this particular Sears were a bit deformed ( only time I've ever seen this ) and this one has a decent dent in the top of the head like an old one that's been hammered on.
Other than this one instance , their hammers have had the same fit and finish as the Vaughan counterparts hanging next to them at my local ace.

Does it mention it on the label or you can just tell with putting a file to it?
Hi
I actually called Vaughan Co. and was told by telephone that ALL of their axes are made of 1080
steel. I asked about how hard the axes metal is(RC) but they have not replied back to me yet.

ripshin

When I picked the best of the bunch out for my grandmother, all of the hammers and hatchets at this particular Sears were a bit deformed ( only time I've ever seen this ) and this one has a decent dent in the top of the head like an old one that's been hammered on.
Other than this one instance , their hammers have had the same fit and finish as the Vaughan counterparts hanging next to them at my local ace.

I have purchased three of these Sears Vaughan made hatchets for gifts to family members. They are very happy as the little axes do their job and hold a good edge.

ripshin

I have purchased three of these Sears Vaughan made hatchets for gifts to family members. They are very happy as the little axes do their job and hold a good edge.

ripshin
As does my little 8oz sub zero hatchet.
Vaughn's American made woods related hatchets ( they seem to do a nicer job with anything with a hammer ) may not be the most beautiful finely finished tools but the steel is good and they get the job done at a good price. They only cost a couple dollars more than a crappy Mexican collins hatchet, and while you could get 2 HF hatchets for the price there's no guarantee that the HF hatchet will have a good temper ( mine did )

Hi
I actually called Vaughan Co. and was told by telephone that ALL of their axes are made of 1080
steel. I asked about how hard the axes metal is(RC) but they have not replied back to me yet.

ripshin
They've got some pretty good folks working there at Vaughan & Bushnell mfg, I don't remember what I wanted to know but I called them and they quickly answered my questions.

Why not buy the first run hatchet staight from Vaughan for less than $22? US made. And I bet it has a great heat treat.

http://www.vaughanmfg.com/shopping/Products/Supersteel-Camp-Axe__SC1-1-fslsh-4.aspx

I've been curious about this for a while. My little 8oz Vaughan has a night high centerline profile that you just don't see on modern axes generally. The Craftsman does not. I've yet to come across anyone who owns the larger hatchet to confirm if they have this feature or not. Perhaps some day the extra funds and the peak in curiosity will get the best of me and I will order one but on the off chance does anyone own one?

I've been curious about this for a while. My little 8oz Vaughan has a night high centerline profile that you just don't see on modern axes generally. The Craftsman does not. I've yet to come across anyone who owns the larger hatchet to confirm if they have this feature or not. Perhaps some day the extra funds and the peak in curiosity will get the best of me and I will order one but on the off chance does anyone own one?
Welllll........I really can't remember ever seeing a 8 oz. Vaughan Hatchet. I am only familiar with the 1 1/4 lb ax. I am really satisfied with the Vaughan hatchets I have given away as gifts.

These hatchets are thin bladed/cheeked. However, 15-20 minutes with a file and they perform very well as compared with the ultra thin Gransfors Bruks hatchets from Sweden. These three axes cost only $11.00 per axe + tax. I bought mine when they were on sale at Sears. Good luck and I hope that someone has experience with your situation and can offer help.

ripshin

Welllll........I really can't remember ever seeing a 8 oz. Vaughan Hatchet. I am only familiar with the 1 1/4 lb ax. I am really satisfied with the Vaughan hatchets I have given away as gifts.

Here's the link to their 8oz hatchet, Gransfors also makes one in this sized called the Small Hatchet but often referred to as the mini hatchet.

http://www.vaughanmfg.com/shopping/Products/12-Sub-zero-Sportsmans-Axe__ZS-1-fslsh-2.aspx

Mini Hatchet fire by MJGEGB, on Flickr

12oz Vaughan Sportsman's Axe by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Mine as it sits currently

Gransfors Bruks Small Hatchet pass-around by MJGEGB, on Flickr

The profile compared to the comparable Gransfors, note the high centerline. Needless to say the Vaughan outperformed the Gransfors in some tasks.

If I ever happen across a Craftsman hatchet for $11 I'll be sure to pick it up. Most of the Sears around here have closed their doors. The head looks like it's worth the $11 for a fun project for sure. And the steel in my Vaughan is definitely top notch.

I looked at their imported double bits a couple years ago. I hate to say it but they looked pretty good for a modern axe...

I've never experienced any of their imported axes,but if they made it themselves here in America I know it's going to be a good tool.

Has anyone asked what type of steel the imports are made of and how they QC the temper? That 2nd part is key. Vaughan has very exacting methods of tempering their steel. Without that even great steel can be just OK or even poor.

Honest question- what is the use case for a half pound hatchet? I'm trying to think about many cases where it would not be better to have a good heavy knife.

A half pound hatchet and a light knife beats a heavy knife and a light knife. If you need a chopper it's best to have a chopper.

I'll give you a specific 'for instance'. I carry a light hatchet when I backpack on short hikes (1-3 nights). When I need to dig a cat hole I like to dig it next to a small diameter (3") tree so I have something to hang on to while I squat. I need to clear the small limbs on the trunk of said tree. A light hatchet is much better at that task than a heavy knife.

Another, splitting kindling. Hands down the light hatchet wins. Cutting and sharpening a stake - light hatchet wins - plus it makes a better hammer. Mora knife and a light hatchet is a great combo.

Back