Little SAK that did it all.

Sooo, we just got back from California where we spent the New Years holiday and my birthday at the daughters place. She lives in Mission Viejo California and I always enjoy the time spent with my granddaughter, Brianna aged 10 now. In the almost two weeks spent in California and two days each ay on the road, my only pocket knife was the little Victorinox executive.

Okay, let me correct that, it was the only pocket knife I carried. In my bag was my old war horse, the Wenger SI that never got used once. In California, we went hiking up in the Cleveland National wilderness area, fishing up at Lake Arrowhead, beach going, and bar hopping, and shooting over in the desert country. The Executive cut bait, trimmed fishing line, did a sight adjustment on a Smith and Wesson revolver so my granddaughter could use it, opened plastic packages, trimmed the end off some cigars that my son-in-law and enjoyed out on the patio after dinner, trimmed some fat off the beef cubes that were going on the grill for kabobs, and even used the orange peeler for peeling a California orange or two. The orange peeler also works well as a monofilament line cutter.

Heres the thing; I'm an old fart. I've carried knives for most my life. I've carried Buck stockman, Boker pen knife, Buck 309 companion pen pattern, Case peanuts, Opinels, Douk-Douk's, Randall fixed blades. I've carried all kinds of SAK's. Huntsman, tinker, spartan, hiker, bantam, cadet, waiter, fisherman, pioneer/soldier, classic (a personal favorite until July 2018) and others.

BUT...I've never had any pocket knife that took over my pocket like the executive. I loved my Case peanut, but age and arthritis made a small stiff spring half stop pocket knife a pain to handle, not to mention a bit dangerous. The other SAK's all were close, but had to be 'augmented' with another SAK or dedicated knife. But since July of 2018, when I was gifted the executive, it has taken over as my EC pocket knife to exclude all others. It's a little on the small size, but it works for its intended job just like the Case peanut and Boker 240 pen, but with more capability due to the few tools like the screw driver tip of the orange peeler and the small Philips screw capacity of the nail file tip when a small flat is filed on it. Not to mention the scissors and tweezers.

The two knife blades do all that my old Case peanut did, but with the easy Victorinox springs and smooth pulls, its far easier to deal with, not to mention that the danger of a fumble finger old fart cutting himself is great reduced. The executive gives me a blade that is just long enough to cut a sandwich in half, or a slice of pie. The small blade is the box opener, mail opener, twine cutter, blister package opener, and whatever needing a small sharp blade.

For over 20 years I carried a classic on my keyring in a leather pouch sheath I made for it. That tiny SAK, was a perfect example of how less, can indeed be more. It did 90 something percent of what I had to do with a pocket knife, and the other pocket knives I carried were more for my knife nut obsession. They had little to do with the real world.

For all my years growing up, I watched my dad get by very well with his little 2 inch bladed Case peanut. If he needed a screw driver or can opener, he had an old P-38 and a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on his keyring. The man was a walking lesson in maximum minimalism. I guess I grew up with a lot of that rubbed off on me, and many things in my life reflect that. Now as an old fart, I finally see the wisdom of his words when he said, "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp." My little executive has become my 'peanut', the little pocket knife that is the always present EDC, and seems to do all I need. On the few times I needed a better screw driver or can opener, the P-38 and Victorinox quatro in my wallet did just fine.

Its a strange twist of fate that at this stage of my life, the Victorinox executive has become what my Case peanut once was. It's small and light enough that I can drop it in my pocket and forget about it until I need it. But it has more capacity than my old peanut had.

It's easy to see how Chuck Yeager spent two weeks backpacking with a Executive.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure an executive could do anything I need a knife for, except taking care of a deer or elk, or filleting fish. Even then, I could probably get it done, it’d just take a bit of doing. Since joining this forum I’ve bought more knives than a platoon of Marines could wear out in a lifetime. But really, what does a knife need to do? Cut and slice. Chopping and hacking is meant for hatchets. Toss in a couple of extra little tools and you’re set for almost anything. I really wish TSA would alter the knife thing to allow a classic, executive or some of the small ones on a plane. That’d be plenty to travel with for sure. When you think lightweight, but capable, those little SAK’s have it covered.

I’m pretty sure an executive could do anything I need a knife for, except taking care of a deer or elk, or filleting fish. Even then, I could probably get it done, it’d just take a bit of doing. Since joining this forum I’ve bought more knives than a platoon of Marines could wear out in a lifetime. But really, what does a knife need to do? Cut and slice. Chopping and hacking is meant for hatchets. Toss in a couple of extra little tools and you’re set for almost anything. I really wish TSA would alter the knife thing to allow a classic, executive or some of the small ones on a plane. That’d be plenty to travel with for sure. When you think lightweight, but capable, those little SAK’s have it covered.

A few years ago, TSA was considering once again allowing small, non-locking pocketknives like the smaller SAKs onto planes. But there were too many people who raised a stink over it that they nixed the idea.

Jim

I'm glad you found another practical little knife that gets the job done for you and then some.
I've found a number of knives like this but am not yet at the stage of life where I want to stick with just one little knife for too long.

I don't think the implement selection on the executive really suits me to well at this time , but I can definitely see why you like it.

With a phillips tip on the file and a 1/4" flat driver somewhere I'd be interested in trying one for sure.

Sooo, we just got back from California where we spent the New Years holiday and my birthday at the daughters place. She lives in Mission Viejo California and I always enjoy the time spent with my granddaughter, Brianna aged 10 now. In the almost two weeks spent in California and two days each ay on the road, my only pocket knife was the little Victorinox executive.

Okay, let me correct that, it was the only pocket knife I carried. In my bag was my old war horse, the Wenger SI that never got used once. In California, we went hiking up in the Cleveland National wilderness area, fishing up at Lake Arrowhead, beach going, and bar hopping, and shooting over in the desert country. The Executive cut bait, trimmed fishing line, did a sight adjustment on a Smith and Wesson revolver so my granddaughter could use it, opened plastic packages, trimmed the end off some cigars that my son-in-law and enjoyed out on the patio after dinner, trimmed some fat off the beef cubes that were going on the grill for kabobs, and even used the orange peeler for peeling a California orange or two. The orange peeler also works well as a monofilament line cutter.

Heres the thing; I'm an old fart. I've carried knives for most my life. I've carried Buck stockman, Boker pen knife, Buck 309 companion pen pattern, Case peanuts, Opinels, Douk-Douk's, Randall fixed blades. I've carried all kinds of SAK's. Huntsman, tinker, spartan, hiker, bantam, cadet, waiter, fisherman, pioneer/soldier, classic (a personal favorite until July 2018) and others.

BUT...I've never had any pocket knife that took over my pocket like the executive. I loved my Case peanut, but age and arthritis made a small stiff spring half stop pocket knife a pain to handle, not to mention a bit dangerous. The other SAK's all were close, but had to be 'augmented' with another SAK or dedicated knife. But since July of 2018, when I was gifted the executive, it has taken over as my EC pocket knife to exclude all others. It's a little on the small size, but it works for its intended job just like the Case peanut and Boker 240 pen, but with more capability due to the few tools like the screw driver tip of the orange peeler and the small Philips screw capacity of the nail file tip when a small flat is filed on it. Not to mention the scissors and tweezers.

The two knife blades do all that my old Case peanut did, but with the easy Victorinox springs and smooth pulls, its far easier to deal with, not to mention that the danger of a fumble finger old fart cutting himself is great reduced. The executive gives me a blade that is just long enough to cut a sandwich in half, or a slice of pie. The small blade is the box opener, mail opener, twine cutter, blister package opener, and whatever needing a small sharp blade.

For over 20 years I carried a classic on my keyring in a leather pouch sheath I made for it. That tiny SAK, was a perfect example of how less, can indeed be more. It did 90 something percent of what I had to do with a pocket knife, and the other pocket knives I carried were more for my knife nut obsession. They had little to do with the real world.

For all my years growing up, I watched my dad get by very well with his little 2 inch bladed Case peanut. If he needed a screw driver or can opener, he had an old P-38 and a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on his keyring. The man was a walking lesson in maximum minimalism. I guess I grew up with a lot of that rubbed off on me, and many things in my life reflect that. Now as an old fart, I finally see the wisdom of his words when he said, "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp." My little executive has become my 'peanut', the little pocket knife that is the always present EDC, and seems to do all I need. On the few times I needed a better screw driver or can opener, the P-38 and Victorinox quatro in my wallet did just fine.

Its a strange twist of fate that at this stage of my life, the Victorinox executive has become what my Case peanut once was. It's small and light enough that I can drop it in my pocket and forget about it until I need it. But it has more capacity than my old peanut had.

It's easy to see how Chuck Yeager spent two weeks backpacking with a Executive.

Glad to see you are enjoying the Executive so much. An Executive has been my main EDC SAK for the past 21 or 22 years now...and I’m still carrying that same one! No matter what other knife I may have on me, that black-handled Executive is always with me, and sees plenty of use, virtually every single day.

Jim

I'm glad you found another practical little knife that gets the job done for you and then some.
I've found a number of knives like this but am not yet at the stage of life where I want to stick with just one little knife for too long.

I don't think the implement selection on the executive really suits me to well at this time , but I can definitely see why you like it.

With a phillips tip on the file and a 1/4" flat driver somewhere I'd be interested in trying one for sure.

The tip of the nail file on the executive makes a fine small Phillips driver. I took a smooth file and made a small flat on the tip so it fits down in the Phillips head better, and I've delt with many screws with it. If I need a better Phillips, theres the Victorinox quatro in my wallet.

J jackknife thanks for sharing your recent experience. Its these stories that help justify the joy I get out of collecting knives. I recently pulled out my few old family SAKS and started adding a some other SAK models to the collection. Don't have the Executive yet but will give it a hard looksie now.

The tip of the nail file on the executive makes a fine small Phillips driver. I took a smooth file and made a small flat on the tip so it fits down in the Phillips head better, and I've delt with many screws with it. If I need a better Phillips, theres the Victorinox quatro in my wallet.

Good point.
And I've always got a Vic quatro driver on me as well.
Thinking about it, I just may wanna get another Swiss card or Swiss card light.

Glad to see you are enjoying the Executive so much. An Executive has been my main EDC SAK for the past 21 or 22 years now...and I’m still carrying that same one! No matter what other knife I may have on me, that black-handled Executive is always with me, and sees plenty of use, virtually every single day.

Jim

yeah, its really very surprising how much I use this thing every day. Sometimes in un-expected ways due to the ability of SAK tools to be used in unconventional ways. Lie darning knitted sweaters.

While in California, our granddaughter Bree was wearing a knitted sweater on a chilly night. While in the backyard, she snagged it on a bush branch and pulled a large loop of yarn out. The sweater was a Christmas gift so it was important to fix it. She came to me with that 'grandpa, can you fix it?" Since Im the SAK carrier I get the repair jobs. She takes off the sweeter and it examine it.

Using the SAK tweezers from the inside, it wasn't hard to gently worm the closed tweezers through the weave of the sweater. Then once through, open tweezers and grab the loop of yarn, then pull through to the inside. Once inside, used scissors to snip the loop at the top and tie it off on the inside and sweater is like new again. It was worth it when Bree looks at me and says "I love you, grandpa! You can fix anything."

I really don't think that there is a day that goes by, I don't use my SAK for something. Not just cutting, but a loose screw, use of tweezers, use of the nail file tip to probe or jiggle of lightly pry.

I sometimes wonder if Captain Smith had a SAK in his pocket, would the Titanic have limped into Halifax or Boston harbor!

I could easily learn to like the Executive. The blade and file are two items of most interest. Glad you have gotten comfortable with this one. I still can't understand how much you like the Classic.... such a small thin blade.....

Back