LM Crunch bits

Hey all,
New guy here with a Question. I have several Leatherman multi tools, I just got a Crunch, man nice tool. It has a 1/4" bit driver built in. What I'm looking for is a good set of bits and an extension all in a compact package with a belt sheath for a decent price. Anyone have an opinion or source? Cheers, Rob

You can buy sets of bits at Sears or other stores. 1/4" are very common.
When I carried my crunch a lot on person, I sewed a pocket in the front of the sheath which held my most used bits. The 1/4" set I had held the bits in little rubber cups in a row. I just put that in the pocket I made.

Another option for sheaths is benchmade combo (I have this one and it's better than the sewing job I did):
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=981086X

or something from ripoffs:
http://www.ripoffs.com/toolpage2/toolcombopage2.html

I found that a small bit hoder I have fits perfectly in my LM mini tool sheath, so I can carry an extra 6 bits. Does any company make a 1/4" extension
(don't know if this is the right term) so I can get a little more reach with the tool. In my profession I'm called on to fix things in tight spaces so an extension can make that a little easier. Cheers, Rob

Most of the kits I referred to _come_ with an extension and about 2 dozen bits or so...
Check out some hardware stores, there are many brands.

Hi,

I have been a user of Leatherman tool since its original model more than 10 years ago. The various tools didn't have the locking mechanism like to new tools do today. But I have it on my belt always and it has served me well over the years. Coming to my rescue during difficult situations. I recently have my eye on the crunch. I would like to know what opinion anyone has on this model compared to the basic model of a needle nose plier. I feel that the blade is a let down. Not only is it not pointed but it is also serrated. How do you sharpen a serrated knife?

Lim

I love the Crunch! I wouldn't carry it as my primary blade (or even primary multi-tool in most cases). I like the idea of always having the locking plier and it's really strong for its compact size.

However, it's not as easy to deploy as the Leatherman Web site makes it look. It's not bad, but it does take a few seconds to put it together. For that reason, I usually have either my Wave or Juice on me as well.

I would definetely recommend a Crunch to anyone who likes to be prepared for anything and can use an extra hand from time to time. Just clamp on the Crunch and it will hold most anything you need!

I do not think the crunch was meant to stand alone. The serrated knife and non-needlenose pliers, and the lack of many tools (you only can use one handle) limit its uses. For what it does do, the serrated blade and locking pliers work very well.

I pair my crunch with a Victorinox SAK (sometimes with the small SAK pliers for when I need a needlier-nose fine pliers). The plain edge Swiss-army blade handles the delicate stuff and the locking serrated crunch blade tackles boxes etc.

Serrated blades are easily sharpened with the Sypderco 204 sharpmaker... there are other ways to sharpen serrations, but I like the 204.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks Klattman for the tip of how to sharpen a serrated knife. I will look it up. It looks like the crunch is the multitool to have if you want a gripper :) .

Back