Local quenching oil worth it?

Hello im Gabriel, ive been a hobbyist knife make for a few years now i mostly use 1084 and 1075. Im wanting to get in to 1095.

So i called around a found a local place that has quenching oil they sell it to a local place that heat treat farm equipment blades. I got the spec sheet from them and it looks to be a 26 sec quench speed is this ever worth getting? Ive seen that 1084 needs a 11sec and 1094 needs 7-9sec.

So is it ever worth buying a pile? They are only asking $25 plus tax so it might be worth trying?

Ill leave the data sheet down below so someone smarter then me can look at it.

Also what kind of steel do you think they quench with such a slow time.

47952594482_6b405e42af_b.jpg

Thank you for your time,
Gabriel

That oil would be for high hardenability steels like O1 or L6, not your preferred 1075, 1085, and "wanting to get into" 1095.

Give Maxim Oil a call. They're based out of Texas, and if I'm not mistaken, still have the best price shipped for 5 gallons of Parks #50.

While a 26 second oil would probably harden O-1, 15N20, and 5160 in something as thin as a knife blade, an 18 second oil would be a better choice.
I use Parks #50 for almost everything. I have medium speed oil on hand, but rarely use it anymore. Somewhere in the storage shed I have a pail of oil similar to yours and have never used it.

I bought some of the 28 second McMaster Carr to try on stainless and other air hardening steels (with a coating). Works well for that purpose, stinks horribly, and I still clamp the steel between aluminum plates in a vice to complete the quench, so how useful it is is debatable. More of an interesting experiment.

But totally useless for 1095. Call Maxim:

http://www.maximoil.com/contact-us/contact/

If you are just a hobbyist and only doing a few knives at a time, go to the grocery and get some canola oil. Here in NC it sells for $5 a gallon on sale. Works ok on most steel.
scott

Thank you!

I was assuming it was to slow but i wanted a second opinion ill be calling maxim oil today to order some parks 50. Ive been using canola oil but saw 1095 is better in a fast quench oil for full hardness and hamons.

While a 26 second oil would probably harden O-1, 15N20, and 5160 in something as thin as a knife blade, an 18 second oil would be a better choice.
I use Parks #50 for almost everything. I have medium speed oil on hand, but rarely use it anymore. Somewhere in the storage shed I have a pail of oil similar to yours and have never used it.

I also use parks #50 for most things, it is my favorite oil. I also have AAA but dot use it nearly as much.

Engineered Lubricants (based in St. Louis) has better quenching oils than that for knife steels. I am using their Enquench Medium-2 which is 10.2-12.2 @ 78F. I am using it on 80CrV2 and 52100 with perfect results. They have another faster oil that compares to Parks 50. I think it's called EnQuench 303LH-9-11 (9.8sec) which is a tic slower than P50 according to the data sheets.

It looks like the stuff you've posted is engineered for a specific customer and their needs.

Back