Lock bar sticking

Hey guys, just got my first Sebenza from a trade on here this week, and I love the knife, its a small classic Sebenza with micarta inlay. Well I took it apart last night to clean and lube it and put it back together just fine. The problem is not that when I open the blade the lock bar sticks with I disenage it, it will disenage but it feels like it sticks and is difficult. Its also kinda loud when I disengage it too from the sticking. Anyone know what this could be? do I need to oil the top of the frame lock bar? put graphite on it? Thanks guys!

Seb's should not stick. I had one that stuck badly and it turned out the lock bar face had suffered abuse. Send it in to CRK is your best bet.

I'd also question the person you traded with to ask how it was used.

It was fine before i took it apart and cleaned it, so i dont know if I did something wrong putting it back together, but it does open and close fine. I was hoping i wouldnt have to send back to chris reeve, i just got it and will miss it. how long would it take to get it back?

hmm, you could try taking it apart and carefully reassembling, You could try a bit of lube on the lock bar face. 10 days is usually how long it takes. but I heard they are moving so I'd call first.

shooterpunk, take it apart again a COMPLETELY clean off the top of the lockbar and the blade tang. There should be no lube, no oil, no lint, no anything on either of these surfaces. Just a straight metal on metal contact.

You probably got a little lube on one or both of the surfaces. Every time it got sticky lockup, this was my problem. Clean them off well and re-assemble. That should do it. If not, send it in to CRK.

Thanks guys, when I get home from work tonight ill taker her apart again and make sure no lube gets on it, which is probably what happened, the lube i am using seems pretty runny, its break-free, is that good to use? its the only lube i have on my at the time.

I bought a NIB large Classic Rosewood from an online vendor and it had the same problem. I took it apart and with a 10X loupe I could see a VERY small burr on the lockbar. One very light and carefull pass with a ceramic stone solved the problem. You, of course, will void the warranty if you go too far and it's always the safe course of action to send it in.

I may try that too with the ceramic stone from my sharpmaker. one or two very light strokes you say eh?

I may try that too with the ceramic stone from my sharpmaker. one or two very light strokes you say eh?

A very light stroke on ONLY the burr IF you see one. DO NOT touch the remainder of the lockbar face, you'll screw up the geometry of the lock. As I stated previously, it's always the safe approach to send it in.

so even if i barely touch the surface of the lockbar face, it will screw it up? thanks for the replies too fellas.

IMO you shouldnt touch the lockbar face, just clean it, and if you can try using a bit of lube, then wipe it. If im not wrong, the lockbar face is covered by a very hard thin layer of titanium oxide, and removing anything will damage it. Try just cleaning and let us now.

Antonio

try rubbing the lock bar face with a pencil, the graphite should keep it from sticking

No it didnt stick before I took it apart and cleaned it. I followed the instructions on there and everything, but i dunno, ill try to take it apart again and put it back together, I just dont want to have to send it in, but will if i need to.

Well it still sticks, I cleaned on the lockbar face and the blade and everything, but it still sticks. I guess ill send it back to crk, its just annoying cuz i just got it and hate to send it away for so long already. thanks for the responses guys

well i sent it in, they said it should be about a week, and that the hard coating must have worn off, which i think is correct because when i took it apart i noticed on top of the lockbar, it looked like it was wearing off. thanks again guys, my sak will have to be my partner till my sebbie comes back

I got it back today!! Came as perfect as I would expect from the Chris Reeve team. They had to re-heat treat the lock bar. Even sent me a free shirt because of the longer than normal wait while they moved. It's nice to have it back because I had it two days then it was away from me for two weeks. This is my first and only sebbie so it was torture, but the wait was worth it. I love this knife! Thanks again for the help guys.

I've had the same problem with a sm. sebie and a Mayo T&T. The more it's
used the better it gets. I think it's more a problem of it wedging when the
opening force on the blade is more than usual. A small price to pay when
you consider the frame lock is the most secure lock on the mkt. Try to open
the blade with a lighter motion and that makes much easier to release.

Best regards,
HARMON EDGE

Back