Lock failure in real

Ok, we lockbacks, linerlocks, framelocks and who knows what else...
We discuss about which one is the strongest.
But: who has been in the situation that lock failed and blade folded?
What knife (looking for brand) it was and/or what kind of the lock it was?
I'm not after the test conditions, thank you.
Just curious...

I have had new knves, not fully 'broken in,' where the liner lock is still half-way off of the tang of the blade--even those knives have NOT failed. Titanium locks have a certain affinity for other steals, and they seem to 'stick.' A safety is not a guarantee on a knife or on a firearm. I believe that safe handling is your best bet. (Boy, I'm so serious today! Somebody remind me who I am...)--OKG

The only lock that has ever failed was my A G Russell one hand knife. There was a very small piece of pocket lint in it. This just stresses the importance of keeping your locks clean & clear.

Paul

Before I trust my fingers to a knife, I tape it to a stick and hit the spine against various objects. This is to let me know if a knife will fold on me during the knife drills that I do, or if I should accidently hit my knife on a wall, or a door frame. The only folding knife mechanisms I have used that have not failed in real life are balisongs, the Barry Wood swing lock, the Banchmade Axis lock, and the second generation REKAT Rolling lock. Every hand made liner lock I ever owned failed these tests, and most of the production liner locks. I have not owned many lock backs, but the AG Russel One Hand Knife I owned would release under hand pressure. My favorite pocket knives, the David Boye lock back would undoubtedly fail, but I consider them light use knives, not hard use or "tactical" as many locking folders aspire to be. I am planning on doing some extensive testing on my new Spyderco Chinook lock back soon. This is real life for me. It is what I do, and what I expect from a hard use knife. There are several knives on the market now that meet these standards, so there is no reason for me to lower them.

I have never had a knife lock fail while actually using it. I doubt that you will get very many, if any at all that have actually had a knife fail while using it for it's intended purpose. I don't consider beating the spine of the blade intended purpose.

BH, Steve and I are in urban areas of California, with fairly high crime rates and no simple way of scoring a gun carry permit.

And Calif law is biased towards folders.

"Intended use" may involve some fool trying to brain us with a crowbar. We take our folders seriously and as Steve says, there's folders out there can take this level so we'd be nuts to carry anything lesser.

Jim

I agree, that's why I will score a Buck Strider hopefully sometime soon. Can't go wrong with that 3/16" thick blade or the Ti liner locks. And its a Buck... need i say more.

------------------
See you in hell, Liquid. That takes care of the cremation.
*Walks away from the scene of the battle, Hind gunship in flames. Lights a Marlboro.*

Originally posted by Steve Harvey:
The only folding knife mechanisms I have used that have not failed in real life are balisongs, the Barry Wood swing lock, the Banchmade Axis lock, and the second generation REKAT Rolling lock.
Great.
How about knives with LAWKS system? Any experience of those?

I think the LAWKS is a great mechanism. The Gerber Covert (single ground) is one of my favorite utility knives, and the LAWKS safety virtually guarantees that the knife will not accidentally release. After a couple of openings, I found engaging it perfectly natural, and it disengages with one hand, no problem.

Back