Lock Strengths

I just have a question of the relative strengths of the different locking mechanisms used in folders. Assuming all other factors being equal (e.g., workmanship, quality of materials, etc.) can anyone compare and contrast for me the relative strengths of linerlocks, lockbacks, automatic style pushbutton, stiletto style "catch" (lockback or tang-release)? And can anyone elaborate for me the difference between linerlock and framelock?

Thanks,

Jason

I think I've seen 5 or 6 broad questions about locking types in the past month or so. Which is enough to make it a frequently asked question. I'll start working on a Folder Lock FAQ for next month, and hit you guys up for info from time to time.

Joe

Ok, here goes:

1. Frame lock, Integral lock, Monolock
2. Axis lock
3. Elishewitz's Bolster lock
4. Liner lock
5. Lockback

Reasoning:

1. Frame lock is less prone to fouling than any other lock, and is about equal with the Axis as far as brute strength goes (ala recent destructive tests).

2. Axis lock is more prone to fouling than frame lock, but same approximate strength.

3. Bolster lock has a larger contact area than the traditional liner lock, but still relies on a liner inset in the handle.

4. Liner lock is 'tried-and-true,' with a quality specimen being reasonably strong, and able to accomodate wear over time.

5. Lockback seems to be in the same class as liner lock, but appears less resistant to wear.

*Note, I don't have a direct opinion on REKAT's Rolling lock, but I would place it somewhere in the middle, being nearly as strong as the Axis, but much more prone to fouling, due to more complexity.

Forgot to add: Of course, my personal farorite will always be the 'solid steel' lock, where the tang of the blade extends down the handle, and the blade has no choice but to be open. Wait a second... that's a fixed blade! Gotta love the lock strength and pure simplicity of those.

How's that?

--JB

P.S. Frame lock is like a liner lock, but with really think liners, and no handles (the liners become the handles).

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by e_utopia (edited 05-01-2000).]

Right on --JB
smile.gif
My thoughts exactly!

Mark

Back