Lock-up question....

Can someone post a couple of pics of the lock-up on their Mnandi?

I was wondering how much "lock travel" is normal with such a small knife?

I have a Sebbie with the most perfect lock-up (lock-bar engages about 25% of blade).....,and my Mnandi has a "lock engagement" of 60/70%...
So.....,what are the standards CRK uses?

Let me know,o wise CRK-addicts!!;)

Thanks,
Raoul...

[edit: spelling and changed "Umfaan" into "Mnandi"]

Greetings Raoul,

The box elder Mnandi is the only one I owned, and I never really noticed the lock engagement since like Dave said, there was no play - so no problem, in my mind :)

That being said, I believe that the lockup for all of the CRK line is desire at more than 20% but less than 75-80%. Of course, with such a small knife, the margin of error for eyeballing the lockup has got to be a significant percentage :)

Best thing to do - email CRK and ask them what they consider spec.

Best wishes,

Matthew

Thanks a lot Matthew.......
No problems with the Mnandi (great knife,no play whatsoever),but I was just wondering what kind of tolerances CRK applies to their different folders!

Thanks y'all,
Raoul...

About a month ago, my African Blackwood Mnandi had crept to over 50%. As part of my regular routine, I did a complete breakdown, clean, and light lube. After assembly, it was back to around 30%. Beats me why, but I have no complaints :D

Hey Raoul,

I recieved a bark mammoth ivory Mnandi about 3 months ago. The lock up on it is about 50%. Different configuration than Sebenza's. I've owned several Mnandi's, and I say you're okay. The lock bar(Mnandi's) seems to center itself more on these smaller knives. You have to remember that for a framelock, you have to have substantial titanium for strength. That, combined with a narrow blade to thick lock ratio, overtravel may seem more extreme.
Babble-Blabble, Yada-Yada :eek:

Two things: If you take a close look at the lockup, notice the thickness of the lock and thickness of the blade are very close. Also, with the bottom of the blade facing you, look at the angle of it; there's no way the lock will get to the opposite handle. That is, without significant force.

You're right,blackend!!!
Thanks for your response.
I must say those mammoth bark Mnandi's are the nicest ones around!!!

(ps. after cleaning and lubing my Mnandi,lock engagement is just over 50%)

Thanks!!!

Back