Lockup, centering, and liner on Pursuit folders?

I'm interested in the 659 and 661 pursuit folders and was wondering how the lockup and centering are on them? Also, is there a steel liner in the handles?

Forgive my ignorance; but what is the significance of centering on a folder? I mean, as long as the blade isn't touching anything when closed is it anything other than cosmetic?

I see this question all the time and I just can't figure what difference it makes whether its right down the middle or favors one side.

How do you consider centering on a 2 or 3 blade folder?

Curious so I'll know if there is something wrong with my knives if the blades aren't centered??

Forgive my ignorance; but what is the significance of centering on a folder? I mean, as long as the blade isn't touching anything when closed is it anything other than cosmetic?

I see this question all the time and I just can't figure what difference it makes whether its right down the middle or favors one side.

How do you consider centering on a 2 or 3 blade folder?

Curious so I'll know if there is something wrong with my knives if the blades aren't centered??

Nothing necessarily wrong if it isn't perfectly centered, but I've heard of knives where the edge of the blade is rubbing because it's so off center. I guess it's also a bit of a QC issue for me. If the blade isn't centered very well, where else were corners cut (no pun intended). I can understand it on cheap Chinese knives, but a USA produced Buck commands a bit of a price premium over those.

OCD ? It seems many supposed “QC” issues are very common that 30 years ago didn’t exist. But,,,they did, it’s just that now some people want it perfectly centered and consider it a flaw if it’s not. Lol. No matter if it doesn’t effect the function, effectiveness, safety, or results. I think this is also what contributes to rising costs for companies that have to spend extra time and money for perfection to please these over expectant consumers, collectors and nit pickers because they heard someone say it shouldn’t be that way. I don’t mean to be harsh I just think we have to reject some notions that have no bearing on the tools effective function that was made to cut, slice, or parse materials.

OCD ? It seems many supposed “QC” issues are very common that 30 years ago didn’t exist. But,,,they did, it’s just that now some people want it perfectly centered and consider it a flaw if it’s not. Lol. No matter if it doesn’t effect the function, effectiveness, safety, or results. I think this is also what contributes to rising costs for companies that have to spend extra time and money for perfection to please these over expectant consumers, collectors and nit pickers because they heard someone say it shouldn’t be that way. I don’t mean to be harsh I just think we have to reject some notions that have no bearing on the tools effective function that was made to cut, slice, or parse materials.

Well, maybe a bit OCD. However, if you read my response above, you'd see that I don't really care if the blade is perfectly centered. I have a 501 that's off center to the left, and an 840 that's off center to the right. Doesn't matter to me on either knife, as they don't rub and the lockup is strong. However, I do think we should expect USA manufactured Buck knives to be of a higher standard. What I don't want is to order a knife, only to have to send it in to Buck for warranty service because there are QC issues with it where it shouldn't have left the factory - I have heard of that happening.

I have a large size one. tiny bit of up and down play. no side to side. mines centered enough for me. I was gonna go find it and take some pics but it's in my closet and I don't feel like digging it out.

It would be nice if some who complained about blade centering realized just how little it takes for that too happen, it is definitely not cutting corners.
I used to find it annoying, not as much anymore.

Well, maybe a bit OCD. However, if you read my response above, you'd see that I don't really care if the blade is perfectly centered. I have a 501 that's off center to the left, and an 840 that's off center to the right. Doesn't matter to me on either knife, as they don't rub and the lockup is strong. However, I do think we should expect USA manufactured Buck knives to be of a higher standard. What I don't want is to order a knife, only to have to send it in to Buck for warranty service because there are QC issues with it where it shouldn't have left the factory - I have heard of that happening.
Every manufacturer experiences this. Its a gnats ass difference between center and off center. Of course we like the highest level of quality on every purchase. But to sweat a gnats ass off center is over the top nerdism. If i was Buck I would reject 80 percent of what people send in. Buck doesnt ask a whole lot for USA made knives. The 110 basic should cost 100.00 but it sells for 36.99.

think needs to be said. he isnt complaining folks, hes just asking. asking ain't a bad thing.

I forgot to say no steel liner in handles just plastic.

I have both models and I'm happy with both....

I'm leaning towards the smaller size 661. Based on published specs, it seems like the 661 is very close in size to the Buck 112. I have both a 112 and a 110, and prefer the size of the 112 for most day to day uses.

When they first came out I was thinking the 661 blade would look great in a 112 frame..if the blade geometry will work I'll be having one..A good project for the fall.

I have the 661,great size & I like the pursuit series scales.
Dead center on blade & no wiggle.
Carries nice in pocket wo sheath...great buy,especially if ur a BCCI member..

D dpsk great thread. I had some extra rewards bucks and just bought the Pursuit 661. I selected it because its blade size is around the Ranger 112 which I prefer. Though the knife laws have changed recently in my home state the 3" max or blade as wide as the hand rule has always been my comfort zone for EDC. Can't wait to get it in hand.

D dpsk great thread. I had some extra rewards bucks and just bought the Pursuit 661. I selected it because its blade size is around the Ranger 112 which I prefer. Though the knife laws have changed recently in my home state the 3" max or blade as wide as the hand rule has always been my comfort zone for EDC. Can't wait to get it in hand.
Nice - be curious what you think. I'll likely wait until after Shot Show before I get another knife - but the 661 sure seems about right for what I'm looking for. Something in the 112 size range, but not as "polished" - so it doesn't matter as much if it gets beat up a bit.

Back