Long Ford Truck Rant

Cool pic BrentH. It makes me want to go out and buy a Rubicon Jeep!

I have owned about 18 trucks, Vans, Suburbans, Blazers, and Pu. I owned 1 GMC, 8 Chevey, 3 Dodge, and 6 Fords.

I'm an old guy that works construction for a living. If you don't buy a 3/4 ton PU, you are kidding yourself..........it is not a truck, they won't hold up.

I currently drive a Ford FWD, turbo diesel, 3/4 ton ex-cab. I like it a bunch. All the trucks have their good and bad points. I can go into detail, but the post would be too long. I will say a Ford carries about 800 lbs more cargo than a Dodge or Chevy. The axle is bigger, wider springs, and bigger brakes.

Nothing rides as smooth as a Chevy though.:)

Grob, the way I've bought trucks is to haggle for good deals. My first car was my grandmothers, a POS Dodge Omni that lasted about five months while I was driving it. Then a Mitsubishi D50 that was a gift, that I ran into the ground like an idiot. Next was an old Toyota p/u that cost the princely sum of $40 :D, which the transmission went up in, that had about 265k on it. Then, I bought another old Toyota p/u that is still going strong , which has around 300k on it, for the sum of $400. Last but not least, I bought a 91Chevy Blazer couple years ago for 1k. Runs great, but I had to put a motor in it, after I got lazy and took it to Walmart for an oil change when I should have done it myself. Luckily, other than getting it up to regulations for Maryland state inspection, I haven't had to spend much. I was getting about 18-20 MPG, but this winter it's gone down to about 15 MPG.

I've decided that my next purchase will be either a 2000-2002 Silverado, or a 2002-2006 Toyota Tundra. 4wd natch ;).

Thats what the brother in law used to say . Smart man , actually very smart . Mechanic , all around handy go to guy . All companys are the same you just have to maintain the vehicle . 1996 ford truck . It had a recall on the wheel stud bolts . You know those funny things that hold the wheels on . If you can,t even hold your wheels on don,t talk to me about quality .
I won,t talk to you about the one ford truck I owned . I am just glad I no longer own it . I sold my chevy cheyenne after 347 thousand kilometres . Still going strong . I just couldn,t afford the gas for a big pick-up anymore . I have a Hyundai now . I sure do miss the chevy . The only reason I would miss the ford is if there were something wrong with the scope on my rifle ! L:O:L

Sold the first to the gf of a roommate. Damned good car. My current '92 civic still runs like a champ and has been damned inexpensive to maintain. I'm thinking of getting an '06 hybrid and giving it the '92 to my brother who has four kids who will begin driving soon.

Best thing I can offer as to advice would be who works on it. Find a good mechanic and stick with them. My shop is fully authorized to work on Hondas and Toyotas by both factories. The owner works the front desk and knows my cheap ways. Whenever it goes in for service he breaks down what should be taken care of first and what things can wait a while until the next service. I'd avoid all dealership servicing like the plague.

Back