Long Leaf

I realize that only the company calls them Long Leaf's.

I bought one (had bought two of the slightly shorter last year. Hoped for a nice one and was pleasantly surprised to find a very nice blade, nicely marked on hilt and top of blade.

Can anyone tell me what it says - I realize it might be upside down, so I showed it twice.

As arrived
rz2mQzll.jpg

iwxAABfl.jpg

Cleaned
IIIfHVul.jpg

JyIr9eBl.jpg

xKeRGkwl.jpg

fd4TgRpl.jpg

wKDYXpFl.jpg

Guess they are trying to make a liar out of me. They are usually johnny on the spot with this stuff.

Please understand that I don’t read Nepali, so I have to puzzle out the Devanagari letters as best I can, and my vision is not very good these days even for stuff written in the English language with the Roman alphabet.
With that caveat, I make it:
” Sri 3 Chandra [Prime Minister Chandra SJB Rana, ruled 1901-1929], Shamsher Dal Battalion [Nepalese Army], Company 5, rack number 40”.
Interesting thing I just learned - we’ve been calling these “Royal Nepalese Army” kukris, but the official name was just “Nepalese Army” from 1846 until 1951, when the hereditary Rana prime ministers ruled instead of the figurehead kings. Only after the Ranas were deposed in favor of the monarchy did the name become “Royal”. And of course the importers bought them from that Royal Nepalese Army, and described them as such.

Back