Long, Slender & Sexy....

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
....but NOT a woman! (Sorry!)

Bertie Reitveld -- 'Panache'

This is my latest aquisition. I took ownership of this within the first hour of the NYC Custom Knife show last weekend. One minute after I shook on the deal another collector came over and was ready to pay. Hrrrmph! The maker is Past President of the South African Knifemakers Guild--Bertie Reitveld.

He makes high-end Art knives, and is a fascinating man to talk to. (we talked about motorcycles for almost a half-hour!) I fell in love with the shapes and the incredible detail.

According to Bertie: "I saw this shape in the form of bones from an animal skeleton in the forest--it was a joint of some kind. As I looked at it, I thought, HEY! That would be a great shape for a knife!"

He claims to be inspired by shapes in nature and outside surroundings for much of his stuff. A true artist who see's things differently than most of us. Certainly more than me. But I sure know how to appreciate the final product!

If you look closely, you'll see his reknowned significant feature--the little glass window in the bolster has a lens and if yo look into the light, you can see his mark inside on microfilm! It scores a 10 on the 'Cool' factor!:eek:

This knife is completely sole-authorship. Damascus to lense to engraving. (well, actually his wife now makes the lenses--does this count?)

Anyway, I thought Id' share some fine work with you folks. Comments welcome.

Coop

24772305sJTsHdYpXv_ph.jpg

Congrat's, Coop, and thanks for sharing. That is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm curious about the dimensions and materials. Great photos.:)

Back