1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Long Term Field Sharpenability vs Edge Holding

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by jmarston, Mar 20, 2017.

1. gdpolk

gdpolk KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2011
    While I understand the argument, I can't say that I agree for my uses. I prefer a steel that can be sharpened and taken into the field and keep an edge for a long, hard day of use if not a weekend of camping/hunting. I find all of the tiny, convenient to pack/carry sharpening tools to be a compromise and a pain to use. I have less time to spend in the woods than I do at home. So, I prefer to sharpen at home, enter the field prepared, and not have to bother with keeping an edge while I can be soaking in the goodness of the great outdoors. That doesn't mean your wrong and I'm right, or vise a versa; it's just a different approach.

2. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I learned to freehand sharpen when I was very young. So I'm of a bent toward field sharpenability.
    However I make great use of the newer sharpening hardware. Such as the Eze-Lap DC4 etc.
    I much prefer plain old 1095 steel, or other carbon steels over all of the super steels out there. I like M4, it takes an excellent edge. And 80crv2 has become a real favorite.
    i carry a strop and touch up regularly in use. So I rarely need to do any heavy sharpening.

3. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Can anyone give me a clue as to which google search will bring these up?

4. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    "Thin Diamond Plate Knife Sharpening Stone" should work.

Pomsbz likes this.
  5. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Thanks!

inkynate likes this.
  6. Anrkst6973

Anrkst6973

May 15, 2008
    After years of using stuff like A2 and Infini, I find I get more enjoyment out of simple stuff, 1070 (Tram) 1075 (Condor) and .1095 (Esee or Mora). I use simple devices to maintain the edge and I don't find a few minutes bringing it back to be a detriment to my time outdoors. Just my own personal.02

7. Pointshoot777

Pointshoot777 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2001
    It all depends on the situation in which a knife will be used IMO. When used outdoors, up in the mountains, I prefer simple steels. I like something I can sharpen on a smooth rock, if necessary. In an outdoor survival course I took that was taught be a retired USAF survival instructor, -it was pointed out that life & death situations usually come up unexpectedly. Yes, maybe you only anticipated going on a day hike. And just maybe something happens that forces you out there much longer than you expected.
    I want to reduce the number of items where I’m screwed if they are lost. Item 1 is a knife. Losing a knife when in an outdoors survival situation is very bad. Depending on the circumstances, you may very well be screwed. Needing to sharpen a high tech steel knife and losing your diamond sharpener means now you may have also lost the ability to use your knife.
    You may reply - ‘ I just won’t lose those items.’ Well, in survival situations “sh*t happens”. You may be tired, hungry, cold, disoriented, panicked, etc. You may fall, need to cross a river, etc, etc. Any number of circumstances may unfold where you can lose gear. I find many of the new super steels to be amazing, but when it comes to outdoors knives I prefer simple & easy to sharpen. If anything, throwing a spare Mora in your pack is cheap insurance.

8. bobe01

bobe01 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    When I started "collecting" knives I was much impressed by high end super steels and most new knives I was buying were in M390, s90v etc.

Over the time I was spending more time in the nature: hiking, camping, cycling, and knives were becoming more intesively used tool.
    After harder use I had to spend 30min-1 hr on resharpening one of my supersteel knives, and eventualy came to conclusion it's not worth the hassle.
    Now I mostly carry high quality 12c27 knives which I can easy touch up with a DC4 stone, in-field if needed, and to be honest, when properly sharp I just can not see any disadvantages compared to supersteel knives. These mid-range steel can take some abuse if needed, and needs practicaly no care apart from maintaining the edge which takes 1 or two minutes.

I have to mention that I always carry portable folding saw, and a small axe or a matchete when I plan to chop or cut the wood. Right tool for the task is what I beleive into.

I still am kind of a steel snob and own few nice supersteel knives, but use them only for EDC which means they almost never get used apart from testing the sharpness on a piece of paper:D

PS, my oldest hobby is salt water fishing and I prefer 12c27 thin blades for most of the time, and VG10 (Fallkniven F2) for harder use (dealing with bigger fish, bones, etc).

PS2: Sorry for my English:D