1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Term Field Sharpenability vs Edge Holding

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by jmarston, Mar 20, 2017.

1. gdpolk

gdpolk KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2011
    While I understand the argument, I can't say that I agree for my uses. I prefer a steel that can be sharpened and taken into the field and keep an edge for a long, hard day of use if not a weekend of camping/hunting. I find all of the tiny, convenient to pack/carry sharpening tools to be a compromise and a pain to use. I have less time to spend in the woods than I do at home. So, I prefer to sharpen at home, enter the field prepared, and not have to bother with keeping an edge while I can be soaking in the goodness of the great outdoors. That doesn't mean your wrong and I'm right, or vise a versa; it's just a different approach.

2. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I learned to freehand sharpen when I was very young. So I'm of a bent toward field sharpenability.
    However I make great use of the newer sharpening hardware. Such as the Eze-Lap DC4 etc.
    I much prefer plain old 1095 steel, or other carbon steels over all of the super steels out there. I like M4, it takes an excellent edge. And 80crv2 has become a real favorite.
    i carry a strop and touch up regularly in use. So I rarely need to do any heavy sharpening.

3. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Can anyone give me a clue as to which google search will bring these up?

4. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    "Thin Diamond Plate Knife Sharpening Stone" should work.

Pomsbz likes this.
  5. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Thanks!

inkynate likes this.
  6. Anrkst6973

Anrkst6973

May 15, 2008
    After years of using stuff like A2 and Infini, I find I get more enjoyment out of simple stuff, 1070 (Tram) 1075 (Condor) and .1095 (Esee or Mora). I use simple devices to maintain the edge and I don't find a few minutes bringing it back to be a detriment to my time outdoors. Just my own personal.02