Long term knife storage carbon steel

Goodness, been a while since I've been here. Life is full.

As I prepare for retirement, much of my collection will have to go into storage in a non-waterproofed basement. It's not wet exactly, but wood down there has molded. Many of my knives are older carbon steel knives. I know from experience that using a carbon steel knife requires little maintenance, actually, but that storing them is another matter. Oiling them sometimes results in coming back to a gunky knife years later. Any ideas for me? It's likely that they will be down there untouched for at least a couple years.

I have to say that a basement where mould gets generated is not the best residence for carbon blades...:eek: Can't you find a drier venue, loft perhaps? Or sell off some...;)

Ren-Wax and oil is one way but they'll need regular inspection and maintenance, once rust takes hold it will be a bad business.

I haven’t ordered any yet, but was thinking of VCI paper (vapor paper) to wrap each of my knives in. Not sure if that is the same paper GEC uses or not but it is made to protect tools, should work on knives. OH

I keep some of my knives in the gardenshed not really the driest place.
I keep them in closed tins, coat them in wax, beeswax is what I use, handle and blade.
In each tin there's a drying package, the ones that come with dried beef jerky or in shoe boxes. Never had any problem with rust. If you have a lot of knives look for used army amo crates, there completely sealable together with drying packages you should be Allright.

Just looked it up, silica gel packages, that's the official name for it

Figure out an airtight storage system. Harding case, Plano tackle box, etc. Coat knives with seal 1, @collectorknives.net can help you with that. Buy a few incandescent packs and throw I there, then seal it up.

RenWax, silica-gel, airtight containers - that's the way I'd go - and inspections periods as Will Power Will Power mentions

Scrupulous preparation of cleaning, waxing, packaging in dry atmosphere first, before you take them to storage

Figure out an airtight storage system. Harding case, Plano tackle box, etc. Coat knives with seal 1, @collectorknives.net can help you with that. Buy a few incandescent packs and throw I there, then seal it up.

Desiccant

Aside from what's already been said, I would:

1. Seriously consider another space.
2. Regular silicone spray is a good protectant, easy to apply and readily available. It also comes in "heavy duty." Do 2-3 coats for extra measure.
3. If you have any fixed blades, do not store the knives in their leather sheaths. Separate them.
4. Use several silica gel desiccant packets.

Used to live and work in Seychelles - lived right on the beach.

We had to have low-watt light bulbs under our hanging clothes to stop then growing green with mildew..........leather, denim, whatever.

If - there's an opportunity to do same with your storage facility - it'd be mighty worth it.

If you can't find another space.. museum wax works great on blades. Way better then any oil. They use it for Katanas in the museum in Japan. I have some on one of my katana blades in a scabbard actually.. and I'm in central muggy ass Florida.

Thanks for the answers everybody. Some good ideas. I've used beeswax mixed with a little mineral spirits to coat, but didn't really want to get it in the joints. Would renwax get in the joints and be benign there?

Can't really do another space. I will not be living in my home for some time and will have access to only the basement.

Thanks for the answers everybody. Some good ideas. I've used beeswax mixed with a little mineral spirits to coat, but didn't really want to get it in the joints. Would renwax get in the joints and be benign there?

Can't really do another space. I will not be living in my home for some time and will have access to only the basement.
A question about the basement..
Not sure where you are and what climate, etc.
My basement has an oil furnace. If I were to store my knives it would be near the furnace as it'll keep things drier in that area. If you're on a well for water, or have an expansion tank, keep away from that. It'll condensate in the summer and add to your moisture issue.

....suggest use RenWax on everything btw., you don't want the wood or bone/horn drying out either

Here is what worked best for me when knives go into an uncontrolled environment.

1) Wipe clean with a real chamois.
2) Spray blade with Heavy Duty Silicone; let sit a few seconds - then a quick wipe off (a little excess left is fine).
3) Oil / Clean joints with Seal1 or Froglube.
4) Put in original wrapping.
5) If you want to go a bit above - seal several bare knives in a vacuum sealed bag (foodsaver style).

I did 1-4 with GEC knives from 2007 and they are still perfect.
I did 1,2,5 with knives many years ago and they are still in top shape. But don't do this with celluloid or you can kiss the whole bag goodbye if they start to gas.

Storing with a desiccant is a good idea. But as humid as it sounds like we are talking - they would be saturated the first few days. But instead of buying a bunch of small packets; just buy the kitty litter in bulk and pour it in tube socks.

A museum of historical military cutlery in Intercourse PA has mostly carbon steel and uses Butchers bowling lane wax. Other museums use Renaissance wax.

I highly recommend ammo boxes, I even keep the tools on my boat in them, never had an issue with rust, just make sure they have good seals. Also, I would assume you are putting other items in your basement as well, you might want to consider getting a de-humidifier for your basement. Get one that can drain through a hose and put the discharge into the sump pump. I have a large basement that gets wet often, but the stuff stored there stays nice (no mildew, etc.) because of the de-humidifier.

I'll put in another vote for VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) products. They don't soak up moisture like silica gel packs do. They emit a vapor that blocks the chemical reaction that causes corrosion. It's a vapor so it gets into all the little nooks and crannies.

Not necessary but used in conjunction with a good wax like Renaissance Wax for additional peace of mind, your knives stay clean and dry and fully protected.

I use these 12 gage plugs designed for shotguns. The core is made of an absorbent sponge-like material. When they dry out (about 6-8 months) I re-saturate them with VCI oil from the same manufacturer. The plug takes up a slot in my display case but it's worth it.
IMG_2939.JPG
Black G10 Trapper bttom middle.JPG

All of the above sound much, much better than the historical Cosmolien (sp?) (for those of you who've had the misfortune of personal experience with it, please pardon my language) the world used to cover/coat/drown guns and blades (and sometimes tanks and other vehicles) with for long term storage.

Back