Longest Production Run?

Here's an unusual one that I thought about whilst driving to work this am.

Which production knife has (or had) been in production for the longest time? ... which would kinda indicate popularity I guess.

Thought it might be one of the BM's .. but I would merely be guessing. :D

I would guess the Buck 110. (Just a guess)

There are a bunch of Schrades and Cases, but they seem to change slightly and evolve.. I dunno if that counts..

Yes, Brands around a long time, but the question was which knife. I would say the 110, I think it has been going at least 40 years.

110's, Opinel's, SAK's, Lagioule's, some of the older slipjoint patterns,(Congress, Trappers, even Penknives).

Oldest? It's hard to really say, is a knapped piece of obsidian considered a production knive if a Native American made more than 1?

Only if that specific Indian did "all" the work and didn't outsource to another tribe for materials or assembly. And was that Indian the original designer of that specific model (hunter, skinner, utility etc.) or was it an unauthorized clone?

I'm still guessing the Vic Soldier. The 110 has only been around since 1963.

Sorry guys,

Should've made this a bit more clear .. I was kinda interested in a knife 'model' that was still being produced ... as in the 110, as oppossed to a "make" that was still in existance.

I eas thinking .. when do new models overtake / outweigh their older counterparts ... barring minor modifications. :cool:

hmmmm the russell green river knives. Afterall you can still buy them, and they still make many of the same blades they always have!

John Russell, founded his Green River Works on March 1, 1834. After having made his fortune in the cotton industry, Russell, at age 37, turned his energies to the manufacturing of quality cutlery.He built his water powered factory on the banks of the Green River near Greenfield Massachusetts. His first products, chisels and axe heads, were made from fine English steel of the type normally reserved for tableware. As the Green River works expanded its line to include knives, the company continued to use only the finest materials.
By paying much higher wages than English cutlers, Russell was able to attract skilled European craftsmen to his factory. With all the manufacturing operations consolidated under one roof, these skilled craftsmen were able to produce large quantities of high quality hunting knives to supply the needs of America’s western frontier.

On May 1, 1933, the Harrington Cutlery Company and the John Russell Cutlery Company merged, bringing together the two most respected names in cutlery: Dexter and Russell. The new company, Russell Harrington Cutlery Company, offered a broad range of quality cutlery products from the famous knives that "won the west" to innovative cutlery for the professional and industrial markets. In 2001, the company changed its name to Dexter-Russell, Inc. to reflect its long history of brand identity.

Today, the same tradition of quality and variety is carried on in Southbridge, Massachusetts, where Dexter-Russell, Inc. produces the broadest line of professional cutlery made by any single manufacturer in the world.

I don´t know for how long but I believe the Schrade 34OT middleman was advertised as America´s # 1 selling pocket knife, I had one in the 60´s and got a new one for Christmas 2003, too bad they are out of business now.

I've got a pamphlet from Opinel and it gives the date Joseph Opinel branched off from his fathers bussines as 1890. The same year Charles Elsner started Victorinox, with his mothers help. His mother was named Victoria, hence the company name.

The standard Opinel knife is in the same configuration now as it was then.

Paul

Very interesting ... thanks for all the info guys ... 1800's ... phew :eek:

Back