1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Longfellow

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Hurrul, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    I am curious about the Longfellow - bit of a mystery blade in the sense that I don't see too many examples come around here, either for sale or in commentary.

I have found a couple of pictures in this sub-forum and there are currently 2 offerings on DLT right now that are both intriguing to me. From my computer screen, the gentle curve of the edge to the point is a nice balance to the gentle inner curve of the lower aspect of the handle...

Seems to me like it would be an effective tool with it's neutral ergos and useful (my preference) blade shape.

Does any BF member have any pictures of the knife in hand that they could post?

Any experiences with this model they might want to share in this thread?

Thanks.

2. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Those 2 at DLT were made specifically for them.
    Unfortunately, I dont have anything other than that to offer.
    In my search to find you a pic i came across that @thurin , @Comprehensivist and i believe that maybe @Warrior108 all had one at some point. Perhaps they may see this and provide a photo or insight

Hurrul likes this.
  3. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    Thanks VANCE, for looking into the pictures on your end.

4. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    To the best of my knowledge, there were three or four Longfellows made in 2014 and very few made after that. I never owned one.

The first one made was posted in this thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-14-happy-memorial-day.1184171/#post-13566417

It was described as a “Bushfinger style blade with a guard.”

In another thread that week, Ken @Bamboo described it as “a Camp Nessie gone wrong but steered right in the end. It's got a bushfingerish blade shape and a nice long handle.”

@thurin has one in Shadetree Oreo burlap that was the most photographed example of this rare model. His comparison photos with other Fiddlebacks are about the best resource you will find.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/comparison-photos-round-two.1232795/#post-14114127

See Post# 104 in this thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-see-your-shadetree.1165398/page-6#post-13828571

Even though the handle is described as “long”, I believe we are talking about an increase of 1/4” or less compared to a standard Bushfinger. I like the open neutral grip profile it has. The handle appears shorter in height than other models in the photos. I remember feedback from the early adopters stating that the knife felt “good”, but wasn’t as big as they were expecting.

Good luck with your search. Please keep us posted if you find one.

Phil

Hurrul, Cdmayhem and VANCE like this.
  5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Thanks for the input Phil

6. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    Good morning Phil -

Your response is appreciated and thank you for making time to type it up, provide links and history about this obscure Fiddleback model.

The Longfellow intrigues me more and more as it"s obscurity continues to lend the blade greater mystery.

Thanks again Phil.

Scott

7. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Hurrul likes this.
  8. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    Greetings Warrior108 -

no worries at all on a delayed response - I appreciate you making the time to answer and provide the link. Thank you for referencing your hand size as it's helpful context for myself, as I find myself needing light gloves in the winter, but some of my Fiddlebacks are a bit smallish as soon as I layer up my hands, while being near perfect in my bare hand during the other 3 seasons.

Thanks again and stay well.

Scott

9. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    Sorry for the late response. I will post up some in hand pics if those would still be helpful.

The descriptions above would match mine. Bushfinger blade. Longer-ish handle which I like. The height of the handle is shorter than other knives in this size range and without any belly makes it not as comfortable to me as my old school fatty bushfinger.

Hurrul likes this.
  10. Hurrul

Aug 26, 2017
    Greetings Thurin -

Thanks for the response and reads helpful to me, for further real world context about this knife. I have a bushfinger and it reads like the handle configuration between the blades is similar enough. No need for the photos - I believe I have enough information for now.

Thanks for responding and happy trails to you.

Scott