Longish term review: Spyderco DLC Manix2 with 11 year update

marthinus

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Manix 2 DLC
This is a cryptic review style of my thoughts as I use the knife and feel like writing them down. So this will not read like a good story.

Stats according to the Spyderco website:
Code: C101GBBK2
Length overall 8 " (203 mm)
Length closed 4.625 " (117 mm)
Blade thickness .125 " (3 mm)
Blade length 3.375 " (86 mm)
Cutting edge 2.875 " (73 mm)
Handle material G-10
Blade steel 154CM
Weight 4.25 oz. (120 g)

DSCN1304.jpg

DSCN1307.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1309.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

Initial impressions

• Blade looks good, really like the black coating, my first.
• Like the CBBL. Has a learning curve of slight manipulation when use to Axis. No blade play in any direction.
• Slight side to side when blade is in the opening and closing arch.
• Edge is ground even and Spyderco sharpness.
• G10 is a medium coarseness.
• Knife feels good in the hand and has some heft to it, not as heavy as I expected. Good solid feel in the hand.

Fit and Finish

• Well within the price range IMO. Slight tooling marks on liners and the lanyard tubes spacer between liners are not flush.
• Those are the only two issues, but I am nit picking to find something wrong such as the tooling marks. These are slight things that won’t affect the functionality of the knife. The scales are flush and the blade is centred.

Ergonomics.
• The knife fits well in the hand in most common grips in the hand. The handle seems to suite me slightly better than the Para2.

Updated after two weeks (15 May 2012)
• Blade has not shown any marks of use. DLC seems to be holding up well.
• BBL is sturdy, no real movement since I recieved it, maybe half a milimeter in the first 2 days and since then nothing.

Edge and Edge geometry
• I like hollow grind knives. I have always since it functions well. It ground really thin with a slight convexed edge initially out of the box, much the same as on a Sebenza.
• Slightly reprofiled to a lower angle and polished on the UF stone of Spyderco, tried to keep the slight convex, then applied a micro bevel of 600grit after using it for a while with the UF edge.
• I use this on most of my knives that are theoretically higher in carbide content.
• When in use 154CM performs as expected and with no real deformation in normal everyday use. On site it loses some of its initial sharpness but remains cutting effeciently.
• The knife can still peel an apple at the end of the day so I am happy. I however did not cut materials such as sand bags. In my experience this destroys any plain edge and therefore I use my Atlantic Salt.
• The tip is thin and one should not try to pry with it
The tip:
photo-20.jpg

The polished edge:
DSCN1472.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

Ergonomics
• I really dont notice any difference between the Para2 and Manix in use.
• However I do feel that the Manix's shallower thumb ramp suites me better when using the choil or I want to do more precise cuts.
• The knife rides well in the pocket, I dont really notice the weight (some people complain about it) since my clothes are usually on the heavy side. So used to it probably.
• The jimping works well with gloves, however for extended periods of cutting with it without using gloves the jimping can become somewhat irritating to the hand.
• I used the knife while working on some fish for lunch, my hands were covered in oil, yet the knife would not slip out the hand when using the choil. I did notice (while I was washing the knife) that when the knife was held in the normal grip one could pull the knife out of the hand , therefore ones hand can slip off the knife towards the back. However when using the choil the knife would not slip at all. The deep finger groves prevent any forward slipping.

Oily hands:
photo-5-4.jpg

photo-4-5.jpg

Normal grip while washing
photo-2-5.jpg

Using Choil
photo-1-5.jpg

6 June 2012
• The knife has been working well. Had some pipes that the grind struggled with. Dont know if it was just my technique but did cut the pipe in the end (first pipe cut in the video).
• Been using the knife around water as well and no rust or other issues to report.
• The coating is still holding up well. The only real scratched has been due to my hand slipping while sharpening on diamonds, but the nicks have been minor.
• Knife has been reprofiled and it takes a polish well.
• The lock is still functioning well. No issues to report. Still solid.
Some use:
DSCN1461-1.jpg

Video:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNXH5QGsxcQ[/VIDEO
24 June 2012
• At this stage as expected the clip and coating is showing some wear. The coating however has not come off, showing some signs of wear but it is still on the blade (if that makes sense?)
• The G10 has some flat spots on it from use, but that is normal for me.
• Nothing more to report that has not been stated
Clip wear
photo-9-2.jpg

Conclusion

This is a workhorse of a knife with a reliable lock and good design. The knife is kept within Spydercos design philosophy of Reliable High Performance and it delivers IMO.

The most important test it passed:
photo-8-2.jpg

photo-7-3.jpg

photo-6-4.jpg

Some beauty shots:
DSCN1363.jpg

DSCN1360.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1320.jpg

Last edited:
Tested the lock over the weekend:

[video=youtube;M5_iySg7Jn0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_iySg7Jn0[/video]

Thanks for the review. I never realized how thin the tip was on that version.

This knife has seen regular use throughout the years.

Here was a picture taken some time ago.

IMG_3171_zpsn4puanoq.jpg

IMG_3170_zps8ingfkde.jpg

Tip broke when it fell. DLC was worn as I used the knife to dig up roots in the garden. Nothing else really did any damage to the DLC.

768e51760c9653d038862c9de1a95a40.jpg

193a067d759e3e100a1a62d4e19b6078.jpg

c82fb4c5a7b0d2e091280ba6a26629f6.jpg

The above are the most recent pictures. I pushed up the hollow to get better slicing performance, but not really thinned out the edge at all.

Some thoughts.

- The knife has a very secure grip.
- The lock, though for some people a bit stiff has remained very stable, even with dirt in it and with minimal wear.
- Though it rides a bit wide in the pocket for some this has not been an issue for me.
- 154CM has been fine for my uses with little to no chipping in the 10-12 dps.
- The knife has remained smooth, though with some slight side to side play from the beginning I have never taken the knife apart and have had little maintenance done, ie. I barely need to ad lube or such. A normal dish washing detergent, warm water route and bobs your uncle.

So I gotta ask, what's the "harshest" thing it has handled from your use? I've heard that these puppies can handle since tough stuff.

So I gotta ask, what's the "harshest" thing it has handled from your use? I've heard that these puppies can handle since tough stuff.

Digging up roots for a whole day in the garden. Edge was chipped at several places, no edge was left actually and also hit brick while removing ivy from the wall. Also used it as a scraper on steel, cut irrigation HDPE pipes, deburr titanium and aluminum parts, cut sanding paper of various grits and clean my finger nails.

Basically all my knives see that use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 years later the cage broke and not in one of the most convenient places.

2F2B3C04-692F-406E-A0AC-A6F3E5B5903C.jpg

7429D9D3-E585-4B00-8FFA-0FD6B0298A4D.jpg

I was fortunate to find it, in the back of the LDV, and we got stuck that took a few hours to dig ourselves out of.

0DCBF7CA-002F-4889-A843-0BBF967468C5.jpg

56E0ED5B-5F1D-45C9-A7B8-F9C36E2D282F.jpg

So, what to do…make a new one.

Grab some Ti, though I did not have thick enough stock.

3C5690CF-C744-4D56-95C2-81F7C70CDB79.jpg

Do some measurements and machining.

5E82062E-5178-4770-B2CA-3A3969032DB9.jpg

While taken apart I sorted the protruding tip.

1DE483A1-07EA-41FA-B820-227E9180722F.jpg

6C41FA96-92ED-4C92-B89B-E3B70FED411B.jpg

And its back in the pocket.

812ABDDA-FF31-4CC6-B85B-4B9807FBF56E.jpg

738DE853-80BE-471E-AA6A-E541D221E549.jpg

I do like the diamond shape of the tip.

8016B81F-00F4-4A0F-A537-311CFA311458.jpg

47D9DCE1-2D3B-47A3-9C92-ED41A7408C14.jpg

B291CFB1-DB4E-4145-9778-D6AC9A70D494.jpg

It's a known fact that the clear cages are not as durable as the newer black one.Spyderco has been known to replace the broken clear cages.Be sure to contact them.

Good to see a long term , hard use review ! :)

I've mostly carried Cold Steel with Tri-ad locks and still believe them to be the most rugged and reliable folders .

But I've recently been carrying a Manix 2 Lightweight for causal use; and an XL for everyday chores (along with a trusty Cold Steel in case something breaks the XL's ball ) .

Certainly the ball bearing lock is more fun to play with than most Tri-ad locks . ;)

It's a known fact that the clear cages are not as durable as the newer black one.Spyderco has been known to replace the broken clear cages.Be sure to contact them.

Will reach out to them and see what they say.

Thank you all for the kind words and to those whom are now interested in a Manix, glad I could help with this addiction of ours.

Good to see a long term , hard use review ! :)

I've mostly carried Cold Steel with Tri-ad locks and still believe them to be the most rugged and reliable folders .

But I've recently been carrying a Manix 2 Lightweight for causal use; and an XL for everyday chores (along with a trusty Cold Steel in case something breaks the XL's ball ) .

Certainly the ball bearing lock is more fun to play with than most Tri-ad locks . ;)
Ok I have to ask. Why the zip ties?

Sincerely a non-spydie owner

Back