Look Out! New Materials Are In!

Great to see the link, thanks for posting that!

I'm thinking that information is mostly for industrial purposes where heat treat is much different. D2 is a great example of this where lower quench temps (subzero) and a lower temper temperature is needed to convert everything over.

Thanks Dan, I'm just a hobby guy and don't want to mess up. I was checking out some of your work very very nice. Lu.

Well I heat treated the ZiFinit profiled blanks ( I grind hard) and they warped pretty bad Grrrr.. normalized before also.
Got a little worse after my temper also. May want to consider clamping during plate quench & temper. I don't know.
The stuff grinds nice tho, even hard. I'd be interested to hear your results. Thanks. Lu

Well I heat treated the ZiFinit profiled blanks ( I grind hard) and they warped pretty bad Grrrr.. normalized before also.
Got a little worse after my temper also. May want to consider clamping during plate quench & temper. I don't know.
The stuff grinds nice tho, even hard. I'd be interested to hear your results. Thanks. Lu

That's rough they warped! I usually grind post heat treat to combat warp but when they want to... they want to. I hope you salvaged enough steel to get some good knives!

Good to hear on the grinding. I can't wait to work with mine.

Quick up-date. I decided to use the knife to cut bait for chunking ( only got one done in time ) since they were a little warped. The results were ok similar to 440c. I ground the finnish on the
blade to roughly 4-600 grit (machine finnish)and didn't touch from the ricasso on back. (that part rusted almost immediatly). Mirror finnish is probably best.
A guy on the Spyderco forum tested the Spyderco Tusk in salt for 2 weeks with LC 200 N and his showed zero rust. Something doesn't make sense.I'll try it one more
time with a finnish as high as I'm capable of (Ugh) and see. The edge held up way better than I thought (took it down to .012 ish) No chipping and stayed sharp but cutting fish isn,t the greatest test.

Hey thanks for the update!

A stainless steel will not be stainless until everything has been converted over during hardening. How long of a soak did you do for the heat treat? Dry ice for full conversion? I wonder if it was at the saturation point.

Pre-heated blade in oven 1157 F held 10 Min,ramped to 1607 F held 10 Min,ramped to 1832 held 40 Min, tempered 2x at 482 F I did a subzero till all the dry ice was gone prior to tempering.
The second blade (not done yet) received no cryo or sub zero which they claim is best for corrosion. Goofy temp numbers are due to C conversion. What do you think I did wrong? Used a Paragon oven double wraped with argon injection no scale at all.

/Users/steveluczek/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2015/May 11, 2015/DSC02628.JPG Knife after heat treat, with just a little grinding. I meant to get
a pic of the one on the boat but forgot.Can,t figure the pic upload thing out sorry.

Heya Steve, it looks like you're trying to paste a path from your computer into the forums? That won't work. If that's the case, you'll want to get those uploaded to some FTP/File Share online, then share it from there. Let me know if you need help with that.

Hey thanks for the update!

A stainless steel will not be stainless until everything has been converted over during hardening. How long of a soak did you do for the heat treat? Dry ice for full conversion? I wonder if it was at the saturation point.
I was wondering if there was any other news about this steel or results.
I bought some 0.262 and 0.124 thick zfinite to make a rough use knife as I have been (3v and zwear) to test against and a folder and kitchen knives. I am going to send it to Peters but was curious what your thoughts were.
It is pricy. I intend to try it close to the thickness of the tools steel and really pound on it.
I was going to shoot for 59RC which is the most I have heard people getting although Zapp says it can go up to 62.
Thanks

I was wondering if there was any other news about this steel or results.
I bought some 0.262 and 0.124 thick zfinite to make a rough use knife as I have been (3v and zwear) to test against and a folder and kitchen knives. I am going to send it to Peters but was curious what your thoughts were.
It is pricy. I intend to try it close to the thickness of the tools steel and really pound on it.
I was going to shoot for 59RC which is the most I have heard people getting although Zapp says it can go up to 62.
Thanks
I use peters heat treating for Z-Finit. I have had it Hardened to 59HRC and 60HRC. So far the rust resistance is insane. It is by far my favorite stainless steel. At 60HRC the edge holding is great. I got 150+ cuts on 3/8 manila rope (could have been 170-200 but i lost count and my hand was tired). Its hard on low grit belts (36-120), but past 220 grit its easy going. Takes a great edge and is impressive regarding toughness in a stainess. If you want toughness soot for 58 or 59. Edge retention is better at 60HRC. (Not sure if brad has hit 61HRC yet, but you can ask).
-colin

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back