Lookin to buy some quality bench stones

I know this has been asked to death but please indulge one more. I have found that I enjoy freehand sharpening very much and i like to think I'm pretty decent at it. I currently use a coarse synthetic $5 stone from Home Depot with surprisingly good results, I figure I can do a whole lot better with something of higher quality. I then finish on my lansky crock sticks. I am already planning on buying the Spyderco ceramic files, the ones that come in the leather sheath. But what about bench stones? Are most brands of arkansas stones about the same quality? What are the pros and cons of arkansas versus the diamond ones. Any brand recommendations or are the Spyderco ceramic stones the best bet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure this has been asked before but the search isn't turning up much and I'm about to make an order soon.

All I know is you can spend alot for the "best," but you can spend a reasonable amount and get some real good stones. That is all I can contribute. I would mention that you may look at a wood worker store near you, such as WoodCraft, or Rockler. Their customers are edge freaks too dealing with wood carving and lathe turning. You may find a real knowledgeable clerk there who can show you some actual applications, and help narrow your choice. If I was going on a quest, I would pursue some decent quality Arkansas stones.

DMT benchstones and a spyderco ultra fine benchstone, if you buy the best you only do it once.

After what you already have,I'd get a Norton India twin grit Med. and fine (from sharpeningsupplies.com).You can find diamond stones at that site too.Then if you want a black hard arkansas get it from Dans(the site 65 recommended).The arkansas's from Woodcraft.com need finishing.However,Woodcraft sells the Spyderco ceramic bench stones in med.,fine and ultra fine.Which are very good.I got just the fine and lapped one side to ultra fine and saved the 21$.It works great as well.That will give you a good quality coarse,med.,fine and x-fine.Depending on the route you choose.The Spyderco ceramic is xx-fine.Which is totally all you'll need.Let us know how this goes for you.DM

I'd go with DMT for anything under 1000 grit and Spyderco for anything over that.

I'd go with DMT for anything under 1000 grit and Shapton for anything over that.

Arkansas stones are pretty slow for their grit. I've found the Spyderco to be around medium speed for their grit. DMT and Shapton are both significantly faster and don't need lapping.

I'd go with DMT for anything under 1000 grit and Shapton for anything over that.

Arkansas stones are pretty slow for their grit. I've found the Spyderco to be around medium speed for their grit. DMT and Shapton are both significantly faster and don't need lapping.

What kind of Shaptons are you referring to? Glass stones? The professional series?

The pro 1000 is a great all purpose stone. I've been wanting to try out the glasstone, but I have so much sharpenening stuff I don't use now that I can't justify the expense. I like DMT's ultrafine stones for a quick touchup, not a big fan of the perforated ones, but I'm thinking of getting one of their continuous grit stones, should be perfect for a quick touchup and strop.

DMT hones are great, last practically forever. I also have a Black Arkansas stone, around 14" long, that I inherited from a great uncle who was a carpenter/cabinetmaker. It excels at producing an ultra-fine edge on high carbon steels -- it seems to impart a toothy edge that outperforms even my DMT ultrafine hone. However, diamond hones work better on complex 'stainless' steels such as S30V, CMP154, VG-10, ATS-34, in my experience.

Consider only Norton Arkansas stones, everybody else I've found has mineral spots (soft spots) on the surface or with regards the better translucent or surgical black, are not the finer quality 2000 - 4000 grit that they should be ... (the Norton blacks almost have a translucent quality to them rather than looking like a fine grit gray surface stone like the other's Black stones and are absolutely superb like the translucents (i.e., you can see into the surface of the stone) being almost ceramic like in texture.)

Get them from www.toolsforworkingwood.com

In the standard 3 x 8 x 1/2" (Soft and Translucent):

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...O-WIDEOIL.XX&Category_Code=&Search=sharpening

The last of the Black is available only in the longer 11.5 x 2.5 x 1/2" (get it while you can in this grade and quality):

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...oduct_Code=NO-MULTISTONE.XX&Category_Code=CNO

This is also a great choice in fine white Hard Arkansas Stone 8" x 2" x 3/4" and 4" x 2" x 3/8":

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...hop&Product_Code=NO-ARK-HB8&Category_Code=CNO

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...-ARK-HB24&Category_Code=CNO&Search=sharpening

I have the ones from Dan's, and Hall's etc. also, but they just don't compare to my Norton Arkansas stones in my experience.

While your there, get a horse butt strop, the best strop available anywhere for our use:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...hop&Product_Code=MS-HORSEST&Category_Code=THO

Good luck.

Don't get me wrong I have and like my Shaptons but if I wasn't going to have both I'd pick the Spyderco. I probably use my Spydercos more just because they are quick and easy to use, no water, no flattening, and they work fast enough.

I use a coarse DMT, followed by med. and fine Spydercos. This system produces superb results for me.

Shapton Glasstones do need flattening, just not nearly as much as most waterstones. They also require no soaking, just a couple squirts of water and you are on your way. I have found myself using them more than my Spydercos lately, though I still love my Spydercos for quick and easy microbevels with great sharpness. For anything coarser then 1000 grit DMT Diasharps all the way, including the excellent XX Coarse. The Diasharps are also excellent for flattening waterstone, adding to thier versatility.

Mike

Back