Looking back on it all.

If I could legally conceal a fixed blade where I live, I’d happily get rid of my locking folders and carry the fixed blade everyday. I can openly carry a fixed blade, but I don’t want to deal with the stares and questions that come with that, or the possible confrontation with an LEO that doesn’t know the law. So I carry my fixed blade when out in the woods and my locking folders when I’m in the city.

If I could legally conceal a fixed blade where I live, I’d happily get rid of my locking folders and carry the fixed blade everyday. I can openly carry a fixed blade, but I don’t want to deal with the stares and questions that come with that, or the possible confrontation with an LEO that doesn’t know the law. So I carry my fixed blade when out in the woods and my locking folders when I’m in the city.
I understand that completely. But just keep it small and I doubt anyone that matters will even notice it. I don't conceal mine. It is just on my belt in full view. Nobody asks about it. But I am self employed and there isn't anyone that I report to or have to live with their rules or social comfort.

You obviously have missed out on some great knives. Don’t limit yourself.

....Now living in the free state of Texas, I've been wearing a small or compact sheath knife more anymore, and in the past year, it's become my etc. A 3 inch bladed Finish puuko or a Buck 102 woodsman has been on my hip almost every day, and its been an eye opener. Sooo easy. When visiting family in the Peoples Republik Of California, I wear the sheath knife openly on my belt, and nobody says a thing. Honestly, I don't think people in general are all that observant. In restaurants, the big flea market in Costa Mesa, out on the Santa Monica Pier, the beach at Dana Point, nobody screamed, passed out, or called the police.

I think a small fixed blade, even though nothing is broken on it, would make a fine EDC with a flat sheath made to fit in the pants pocket. The A.G. Russell woods walk in its pocket sheath could be beefed up a bit for more rugged duty, and be a great un-folding pocket knife.

The small convenience of having a self contained knife is more than offset by the increase in cleaning problems, cost of production with more complex locking system, and the lack of safety if the lock gets fouled with dirt, pocket lint, blood, fish slime and guts, sand, food or other junk. I love a knife that I can hold under a faucet, swish around a creek, to clean it out.

If it comes down to a small one piece fixed blade or a folding knife with set of bearings in the pivot for Pete's sake, I'll take the small fixed blade. Just makes more sense.
Sorry Jackknife. I didn't know that you have started to carry a small fixed blade. A folding knife is sort of a broken knife. :D But I have to admit that I still like folding knives. I have just been wearing a sheath knife (that was Kephart's term for a fixed blade).

I like slipjoints too, and love fixed blades. Knives were prevalent when I was a kid, both at home and at school.

Some knives these days have no purpose other than to keep some Instagram douchebag’s “hank” from blowing away as the whole shebang poses for a picture. That’s just the way it is.

What exactly were you asking?

I like slipjoints too, and love fixed blades. Knives were prevalent when I was a kid, both at home and at school.

Some knives these days have no purpose other than to keep some Instagram douchebag’s “hank” from blowing away as the whole shebang poses for a picture. That’s just the way it is.

What exactly were you asking?

I wasn't asking anything.

It was an editorial piece expressing an opinion as to why I don't see the use of over designed, over built, over hyped, and over priced lock blades vs a fixed blade.

I understand that completely. But just keep it small and I doubt anyone that matters will even notice it. I don't conceal mine. It is just on my belt in full view. Nobody asks about it. But I am self employed and there isn't anyone that I report to or have to live with their rules or social comfort.

that is a possibility, however I don’t tuck in my shirts so if my shirt were to cover it (fully or partially) that’s considered concealed. Also I work for a company that owns tons of critical infrastructure. We have a “special” security team that probably wouldn’t like me advertising a knife on my belt no matter the size.

I dont believe in folders. I edc a small fixed blade. Started with esee and tops graduated to bradford and rmj. It also keeps my pockets uncluttered since the knife is in my belt.

I once tried carrying a little CRKT Drumfire with a 2.25" fixed blade a few times. In my day-to-day I still found it too obtrusive and uncomfortable. Nothing will ever truly take the place of a small modern folder in my pocket for comfort and practicality. I still love slipjoints, but more for admiration's sake. All too often when I need to cut something I'm already holding it with my other hand, so being able to open my knife with one hand is kind of a big deal. Getting things out of my front pockets is also a bit a of pain to the point I don't even keep anything in them beside my knife. So having it clipped right there at the top is another huge convenience factor.

johnnytoxin johnnytoxin You make an interesting point about concealment... where concealment is required, accidental exposure of the "weapon" can cause a problem. In my state, with guns they have that covered and hence not a crime when you are carrying a weapon concealed.

I don't advertise carrying a fixed blade at all as nobody notices it. It is very flat to my body and doesn't bounce around. However, when there is a company "security team", I would probably chat with them a bit before I ruffled any feathers internally.

Love the opening post , btw .

My granddad was born in the 1880s , served in ww1 and ww2 . He'd seen it all , no BS . All the men in my family have served , including myself , since we arrived to this country . They did all the things we do with knives and possibly more .
A knifes ability is in whomever is holding it , for the most part
I agree with the comment of a large % of the knife market/industry being BS , it truly is , but it's entertaining BS at least . Hell , the cold steel videos alone :)

I grew up in the same basic era as you and used the same basic cutting tools. I blindly resisted the modern knives for many years, but have come to like the pocket clip and one handed opening feature of more modern knives + the better steels. One thing I haven't forgotten though is the direction a knife closes and I keep my fingers clear and the force in the right direction . As to why the heavy duty folder fade it goes back to your statement of the lack of knife Phobia in years past. People are looking to carry a substitute for the sheath knife in an era that doesn't accept it well in many places. They may not be getting the substitute they seek, but that is what they are trying for-an easy to carry low profile heavy duty blade.
That said- nothing wrong at all with a good slip joint matched with a good sheath knife.

Don’t ones chances of being right decrease in direct proportion to the intensity (or verbosity) with which you try to prove others wrong. (Or something like that) I’m no spring chicken but this thread has a distinctive “old fogie” odor. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but in my day . . . sorry, lost my train of thought. Speaking of trains . . . What’s with these flying contraptions??

Works for me.

I do understand the conveniences and capabilities of a modern folder, but personally those are covered by a small belt knife which I can carry when needed.
For me those advantages are simply convenience and one handed use at work though, added strength or safety are a non issue.
Maybe it's my willingness to carry and or use other more appropriate tools, but I simply don't understand the notion that a daily carry knife has to be up to tasks other than cutting.

All I can figure is people are simply accustomed to them now, I'm not sure anyone would be complaining if they didn't exist.

I don't see why having an extra layer of safety on a folding knife like solidly engineered locks can ever be a bad thing for those that want them...

Not a bad thing, provided it doesn’t encourage dumb behavior. It is a little like the guy with the 4WD. It is not going to prevent him from getting stuck, but when he does get stuck he will likely be further in.

n2s

Not a bad thing, provided it doesn’t encourage dumb behavior. It is a little like the guy with the 4WD. It is not going to prevent him from getting stuck, but when he does get stuck he will likely be further in.

n2s

Locks on knives are not designed to eliminate stupidity from the human genome.

Back