Looking for 1095 Quench Oil!

I have been using canola oil to quench my 1095 blades and not completely satisfied. I have read about parks 50 but can not find it anywhere online to buy it. Anyone have any they would part with because I really do not need 5 gallons like it sales. Thanks in advance!

I got my parks 50 from Kelly Cupples. Very nice guy to work with.

11 second oil isn't fast enough for 1095. It would be more suitable for 1084, or 52100. Parks 50 is more suitable for 1095.

Maxim Oil is great to deal with, as is Kelly Cupples.

It may seem like a chunk of change.....but believe me.......5 gallons of P50 from Maxim Oil in Fort Worth Texas is worth it! A VERY happy customer here. Canola oil is good, but doesn't really even begin to offer what the faster oils offer.

Just for reference sake, I think canola oil warmed to 130F will fall somewhere around a 9 second ball speed. P50 is a 7 second ball speed oil. Plus, the P50 is engineered to not only get under the PN in time for shallow hardening steels, but also slows down to handle the martensite formation temps better. I cannot recommend it enough myself.

There is another oil.......DT-48. I am not familiar with who sells it, but IIRC, it is around the same speed as the P50. May be an option?

I got mine from Maxim oil as well. They don't exactly list "Parks 50" on their product page, but go to the bottom of the page to get their email, and send them an email telling them you want to buy a 5 gallon pail of Parks 50 and that's it! 5 gallons is the smallest amount they sell, and when I bought mine a couple years ago from them, It cost no more than about $150 to have it shipped to my door, which is up near Seattle ;)

Here is their products page: http://www.maximoil.com/products.htm

And their info & email:

Lee Neves
Maxim Metalworking Lubricants
208 Shelby Rd.
Everman, Tx 76140
or E- Mail LeeNeves@maximoil.com
Ph 817 293 4645

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

I've been using brine so far. The tink fairy hasn't been bothering me but I do get a good bit of warpage. Should I call Maxim Oil or Kelly Cupples?

Maxim is more than likely going to be the cheaper option for us southerners ;) I think they quoted me like 80ish for the oil and 40 for the shipping a couple years ago.

Another satisfied customer from Maxim Oil chipping in with their positive experience.... So yeah, ahhh... Maxim Oil!!!

Dealt with a real sweet woman on the other end of the phone. I believe I had the PARKS 50 shipped from TX to FL for about $130 ish...

If you're gonna do something do it right. Canola oil is not the gold standard, and industrial oils are honestly not that horrible of an investment when you compare cost.... Maxim also has it's own medium quench oil, but hasn't been available because they're waiting on hazmat clearance certs from OSHA (something along those lines).

There is another oil.......DT-48. I am not familiar with who sells it, but IIRC, it is around the same speed as the P50. May be an option?
I think that this was the stuff that Maxim sold that was just waiting on certs...

The other Fast quench, which I've been reading about a lot is the Houghton Quench K (fast) and the Quench G (medium speed).

The quench K stuff looks as if it might have a bit of an edge of the Parks 50... Keeping in mind that whole grain of salt thing; "figures lie and liars figure."

The more I read about fast quenchants, the more I come back to the notion that a lot of the chemical consistency of these quenchants is Kerosine. Alot of the trade secret recipes were patented in the early 1920's... Engineering literature of that particular time reinforces the idea, but you wont find me testing and evaluating for fear of losing my shop to a fireball.

edit.. I just checked waaay back in my emails and found the convo I had with them.. this is one of their replies... "The FedExGround rate is $54.36 per pail - bringing the product and shipping total to $146.37. It lists a 4 day transit time."

And yes, they are very nice people to deal with and were very helpful with some knifemaking heat treating related questions I had. I think the nice lady's name is Carla :)

Anyway, I guess distance is a factor with shipping even within the main 48 states... :confused:

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Last edited:

That's funny, that's actually the "knifemaking and heat treating" related question I was reffering to in my last post. I asked whether or not the DT 48 was just as good as Parks 50 etc. Here is their direct reply to me regarding them both related to heat treating knives..

"A few years ago, we were asked to blend a version of quench oil comparable to the Parks 50 in performance. At the time, Parks 50 was not always readily available in smaller quantities. I formulated a dark version of a very fast quench oil. It is called Duratherm 48. The additive package is much different, the basestock and viscosity is comparable to the Parks 50. A pail is 70.90, plus frt. DT 48 is not what I would consider a "home brew" as we blend many thousands of gallons per year of 10-12 second quench oil for the commercial heat treating industry; however, I generally recommend the Parks 50 as it is not much more expensive than the DT 48 and has much more history and data in your industry. Both are available in 5 gallon pails."

Like I said, very helpful! :)

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Back