Looking for a "Beginner" Sushi Knife for "Home Use."

Yeah, I sent him another message, so I will see if he responds to it or not. I like to type more, than to talk, since I have a billion questions and it's easier to sort out thoughts into text.

I recall when I first got into Japanese kitchen knives, I too have what seemed like 10 dozen questions. Trust me, you making it way more complicated than is necessary. That's why I'm disappointed that you can't get hold of Jon by phone. If it makes you feel better, sticking with stainless steel in any of the major brands means....you really can't go far wrong. That is, even if you don't get the perfect knife (which is clearly what you're attempting to do ;')...he will still have a really nice, perfectly serviceable knife for sushi, or whatever

For example, my first knife was a Tojiro from Korin. 60 bucks at the time, at least 10 years ago, maybe 12 or more. With the dozen and 1/2 I have to choose from.....I STILL find myself reaching for that 240 Tojiro as often as not. VG10 core, holds an edge, easy to sharpen and tough as hell, so it doesn't need babying.

I now own Shun Classic (10" chef, 6" utility, 3" Veggie/parer. Knife snobs sneer at Shun Classic these days. Let'em. They maybe wouldn't be my first choice if I was starting anew today, but still very good knives....flawless fit & finish, they're paring knives are second to none. I have knives made by Tanaka, Yoshikane, Hiromoto, Kagayaki, Masamoto, Kumagoro, Hattori, Konesuke, Kanemasa, .....can't say that I've opened a single knife box and been disappointed.

What kinds of knives do you have and any you recommend? Have you ever used ChefKnivesToGo?

I've only had one contact with ChefKnivesToGo and have bought nothing from them to date.

I have a "Faberware" set, which I don't know if it's cheap crap, or decent, but I notice the handle is heavier than the blade, and I feel that I don't like the heavier handle, and might prefer a heavier blade, or more balanced, but I know that's one part of picking the knife...

Farberware isn't awful, but not really on the high end of the scale.

I felt the Laser knives would be good due to being very thin. I think of myself personally, because (if I hadn't mentioned already), I have herniated discs in my neck, and it's hard holding onto heavier objects for too long, so I figured I lighter knife would be best...

Won't hurt, of course, but remember, with quality Japanese knives, we're only talking about a few ounces at most.

Someone I've been speaking to for awhile recommended Konosuke, so I am looking at them mostly (any experience with Konosuke)?

I have one and like it. Very good quality. If you want light and thin, you can't go wrong. Good technique is essential to avoid chipping I'm told, as they are relatively delicate.

As one person said I might as well buy a few cheaper knives, get a feel for the knives/let him get a feel for the knives, and then go into it more....

I heartily agree. Start with a 240 Tojiro DP and I think you'd be on the right track for very low investment. And when you find the perfect knife for more money, you'll be in my shoes.....with a good quality, dependable back up knife.

I don't know how much he will use it, but I want to get into cooking more myself. He just mentioned yesterday or the day before he wanted to get back into sushi making, so this is the perfect time for me to get it. He also loves to eat oranges/grapefruit, and we cut lemons/lime as well, so I think something more stain-resistant/stainless would work.

Yesssss.....get stainless. The average person would never detect any less performance, and the difference in maintenance is worth its weight for everyday users like us.

Oh....don't forget a decent Japanese water stone. A simple King 1000/6000 combo stone is enough and can be had on Amazon for around 35 bucks. Can't cut anything with a dull knife, no matter what you paid for it. ;')

Last edited:
Check out Yoshihiro. These are the knives of the working class. Kinda like Forschner is to us butchers. Highly respected and affordably priced.

They do run the gambit and have a long line of prices and choices. Buy what you are comfortable with.

Hello everyone. Well, I cut up a lot of tuna, dorado, and yellowtail, and since tomorrow is my birthday I have decided to buy myself a sushi knife (or two). I have been using an old, carbon-steel filet knife for years with decent success, even for cutting sushi rolls. Can anybody here give me any suggestions about sushi knives? Thanks.
This thread is from 6 years ago. But....first things first.
There is no such thing as a "Sushi Knife". Only people who don't know anything about Sushi (or Culinary knives) use this term.
Sushi itself refers to vinegared rice, and can involve many dishes that have nothing to do with fish.

Two knives are used. The Deba, a relatively short stout thick bladed knife to break down and fillet the fish.
And the long sharp Yanagiba, to slice the fish. This knife is sometimes called a "Sashimi knife".
If you are going to be using whole fish then you will need a Deba and Yanagiba set.
If you are going to be buying already prepared fillets or blocks, all you will need is a Yanagiba.

Both Deba and Yanagiba are tradditional Japanese knives, meaning they are single bevel. Some people say they needed some practice to get used to them while others had no problem coming from double bevels. For those who absolutely must have double bevels there are D/B Debas (called Westerb Deba) and Yanagibas (called Sujihiki). And they are also available in Stainless for those who prefer that. Most are Right Handed, but of you are a lefty, you;ll have to get Lefty versions.

I could give you a zillion suggestions but because the price/quality range is so wide, without knowing your budget can't really say.
If by "Beginner" you mean not too expensive but good enough to learn on, I would recommend the Tojiro White #2 series.
I'd suggest chefknivestogo, and others like Bernal in S.F. Blade length for Deba depends entirely on the fish size. Most people own 2-3 Debas of different sizes. I do fish 26-30" length with a 165mm but many folks prefer the larger 180mm.
The blade length for the Yanagiba depends on the size of your cutting board/work space. 210-240mm are the most popular for home, while 300-330 are often used by professionals wuth huge workspace.

To to give you an idea of the two types of knives:
Deba Knife:

91tW9M.jpg

Yanagiba Knife (aka Sashimi Knife)
iWRT5i.jpg

Last edited:
Back