looking for a big folder

hi, i'm in the market for a big folding knife, something with a blade upwards of 4". If any of you have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

Check out Strider Knive's, there GB and AR's are the way to go if your really looking for a Big Tough Folder !! Also, Neil Blackwood just came out with a Big Tough S.O.B looking folder, might want to look him up !! This is just off the top of my head, there are few maker's out there that make some Big Boy's, i'm sure someone else will come along and add a few more suggestion's, either way good luck to you !!

Take Care, Mario C. :D

There are a lot of big folders out there. You might want to add some information to get specific answers such as:

Planned uses
Cost range
Handmade or factory made
Handle materials
Lock systems you like
Blade Steel
etc.

Without knowing any of these, I can suggest a some factory folders that are in the 3.5+ inch range that are of high quality and are consensus picks here on the forums (I have or have had one of each, so I am not making this up):

Microtech LCC - liner lock system
Chris Reeve Knives Sebenza - integral (frame) lock
Spyderco Chinook - front lock
Al Mar SERE - liner lock
Spyderco Wegner - liner lock

The costs range from about $100 for the Chinook and Wegner to $350 for the Sebenza. There are so many variables, I can't add much more.

REALLY BIG folder,huh? Well got just what yur lookin'
for mate.

Checkout the Camillus forum here for info / pics of the
new "Maxx" 5 1/2" of D2 steel in a bowie blade. If that
ain't big 'nuff then look on the Cold Steel web site for the
5" Voyager or the "New" 6" version (!!) shown in the dealers
corner on that site.

While your at it you might check for legal carry length limt in
your area. Any of these big boys will get you in trouble with
the law if your not careful.

Originally posted by Manji
hi, i'm in the market for a big folding knife, something with a blade upwards of 4". If any of you have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

I agree with Tightwad. If you like big folders, be on the look out for the upcoming Camillus Mad Maxx
cam-cu2262.jpg

Also check out the following:

Cold Steel Vaquero Grande with 6 inch blade:
vacqgrandew.jpg

Gerber Applegate Combat Folder with 4 1/2 inch blade:
5780w.jpg

SOG Pentagon Elite II with 5 inch blade
pentelite2.gif

REKAT Sifu (I think they're being discontinued)
sifu_black.jpg

Rekat SIFU. Still available at many online shops---better pick up one or two while you are still young enough to be able to lift them.

Some already mentioned, but will second the votes:
Strider AR or similar from them
Buck/Strider (production version of Strider folder)
Some of the big Cold Steel ones (Vaquero)
CUDA MADD MAXX from Camillus (very cool -- held one at the SHOT show, and loved it)
REKAT SIFU

One not mentioed yet:

TOPS CQT Magnum Folder (My personal favorite -- I have beat it to hell in real situations with no hint of failures))

Look no further than the REKAT Sifu, IF you are looking for a BIG folder. It has a blade of 5.4 inches long, and the opened knife is about a foot long!.:).

BM710. BM710. BM710.

It's big, but not super-sized like the other mentioned. I got to handle one today, FINALLY! Love it.

I gotta say though that for such a huge thing, the Sifu rides very well. Thin profile and nice clip.

Zero

If you want something big that carries very well, get the Sifu. It is big, and has a very thin profile. I would also look into the Camillus Cuda Maxx when it comes out....rumor is the Sifu maybe extinct.
TOPS makes some very nice HUGE folders but they are a little too "bulky" for everyday carry and they have no pocket clip.
I would also check out the Buck/Strider it is big and very "stout". It is not as big as the Camillus or the Sifu in blade length but the knife is like a tank.

In closing, if $$$ is a big concern, I would look at some of the products made by Cold Steel. The Voyager series offers alot of bang for the buck.
Just my 2cents

:D

If you want the biggest folder check out Cold Steel's new Voyager CS29XXC. It has a 6" blade, 7 1/4" handle and is not serrated!

I have one on order and should have it next Tuesday. I am not sure why I have not heard more about this giant knife.

Might want to check out the MOD Dieter CQD Mk 1, its big all right and the plunge lock is unique. I can see virtually no way for an inadvertent closing of this folder. Its large and allows for a lot of grip surfaces. Nice knife, but a bit specialized in design. I love mine. It engenders the most confidence yet for a folder. I kinda hate liner locks, not because they are weak, but because I am afraid as a lefty, i might disengage them accidentally while using them hard. Blade is 3.75 inches long. So its not an overly long blade on this knife. But it is big size wise.

For a big hard use folder, you can't beat the TOPS CQT Magnum folders, in my opinion.

I tell you though, the advertising that TOPS does is pretty cheezy, really. They might do better rethinking the ads they have...

Carson large M4. 4" blade, superb craftsmanship. (hey-no one said we were on a budget here!)

Don't forget the Cold Steel Gunsite with the 5" tanto blade.

The Cold Steel Vaquero Grande looks too difficult to sharpen.

I would pick up some Sifus before they are sold out. The SE Sifu with no fingergrooves might be hard to find now.

Back