Looking for a college carry knife

Although I’m not personally a Benchmade fan, I’ve been eyeballing the 485 Valet lately and might pick one up if I can find a good sample at a shop somewhere. Pretty classy little knife.

Man, same. It looks like a great small folder.

So far it seems like the para 3, native 5, delica, and g10 mini grip are popular choices. Thanks for the replies from everyone who replied so far.

Another vote for the Mini Griptilian in whichever steel or blade shape you'd like. I also have a Benchmade 485 Valet and it's a great little knife. I can also recommend the Massdrop/Ferrum Forge Gent, one of which I received last week. S35vn blade, titanium frame lock with G10 scales -- it's pretty sweet and only $80. My only issue is its' righthandedness -- I'm a lefty and find the framelock awkward.

Another vote for the Mini Griptilian in whichever steel or blade shape you'd like. I also have a Benchmade 485 Valet and it's a great little knife. I can also recommend the Massdrop/Ferrum Forge Gent, one of which I received last week. S35vn blade, titanium frame lock with G10 scales -- it's pretty sweet and only $80. My only issue is its' righthandedness -- I'm a lefty and find the framelock awkward.

I agree almost exactly. I have a mini grip 556-1. I like it a lot, but I prefer a little smaller and lighter, which makes the Bugout a very good choice.
That being said, I have 2 FF/MD Gents and I absolutely love them. S35, small deep carry pocket clip (which I like because it looks very unassuming, I'd bet 99%+ of people on campus that see it on your pocket will think it's a pen or something else other than a knife) simple and classy looking, nice and slim, and $80!!! In my opinion, it definitely is one of the best values available. I already said it, but I love it's simple and elegant look.

Take a look at this
30f062cb-161b-47a3-a8ff-9cd676924329_1.7f3402a1c100c420e9970efbe50540bc.jpeg

Just $9.99 at your local big box store.
Just kidding. Spydies are great, non intimidating and made to last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spyderco Baby Jess Horn is nice at $120, as is the Delica for $50 less.

Benchmade Valet is a solid choice, as is the Mini Grip 555HG at half that price.

I'm more the Benchmade folk, but I see a wonderful college carry in the Spyderco Delica 4 FFG in Zome Green.

Me, I'd pack a SAK of some ilk. It's the Saint-Bernard-With-Rum-Barrel-Around-Its-Neck of knives.

I would say the Buck spitfire or 112 slim. With either of those knives you have the option of trying a low cost version just to see if you like the design and you can upgrade later to a better steel if you prefer.

Take a look at this > https://www.walmart.com/ip/9-Assist...-with-Black-Handle-and-Silver-Blade/511652600 Just kidding. Spydies are great, non intimidating and made to last.

Ahhh! That thing is real? When I've seen it in other threads, I thought it was just a Photoshop project.

Lots of good options mentioned already. But gotta give a second shout out for the Spyder Chaparral. And a runner up, the Massdrop Gent. Both unassuming, and both have very functional but understated deep carry clips. Both with decent steel. Yet both are polar opposites in form, feel and action. One of the most significant differences is whether you need true 1/4 second deployment (flipper on bearings), or if you can live with a slow, so very slow, 1/3 second deployment (Spydie Hole). ;)

2qkilah.jpg

ams58i.jpg

I’ll also suggest the native 5, that’s what I carry when I’m at school. We have the same 3” blade rule here so it works out perfectly. With s35vn you’ll be able to hold off on sharpening a little longer. I go home ever other weekend or so and I’ll touch up the edge then. Just a few passes on a strop with white compound is enough for touching up a higher finish, for lower finishes I would assume that’s fine too (I sharpen with 800 and 1,000 grit stones, so I don’t have experience with edges lower than that). I work on campus and am cutting a lot of cardboard up, so depending on your amount of use sharpening may or may not be much of a factor.

Just one thing to keep in mind with the native is that the butt of the handle may stick out of the pocket a little. Depending on your school this may or may not be an issue with drawing attention. If I know I’m going to be walking past a large group of people I’ll just slide the knife down into my pocket so it’s not visible. It’s best to avoid having to hear “is that a knife!?” or “omg why do you need a knife?!” if you can.

If you carry keys on a lanyard that may not be as much of a problem. My keys are in the same pocket as my knife, at times the lanyard covers up the pocket clip and no one can really notice it.

-Kevin

Take a look at this
30f062cb-161b-47a3-a8ff-9cd676924329_1.7f3402a1c100c420e9970efbe50540bc.jpeg

Just $9.99 at your local big box store.
Just kidding. Spydies are great, non intimidating and made to last.
Holy crap!!! This thing is real, hahaha. I remember watching it on YouTube by Nick Shabazz. Damn, I laughed hard during that review!!! I started hysterically laughing as soon as I so your post! I'm still laughing right now!

Maybe a Soviet bayonet or something. Will go along with the Marxist ideals you’ll be taught.

I’ll also suggest the native 5, that’s what I carry when I’m at school. We have the same 3” blade rule here so it works out perfectly. With s35vn you’ll be able to hold off on sharpening a little longer. I go home ever other weekend or so and I’ll touch up the edge then. Just a few passes on a strop with white compound is enough for touching up a higher finish, for lower finishes I would assume that’s fine too (I sharpen with 800 and 1,000 grit stones, so I don’t have experience with edges lower than that). I work on campus and am cutting a lot of cardboard up, so depending on your amount of use sharpening may or may not be much of a factor.

Just one thing to keep in mind with the native is that the butt of the handle may stick out of the pocket a little. Depending on your school this may or may not be an issue with drawing attention. If I know I’m going to be walking past a large group of people I’ll just slide the knife down into my pocket so it’s not visible. It’s best to avoid having to hear “is that a knife!?” or “omg why do you need a knife?!” if you can.

If you carry keys on a lanyard that may not be as much of a problem. My keys are in the same pocket as my knife, at times the lanyard covers up the pocket clip and no one can really notice it.

-Kevin

I got a deep carry clip from MXGgear for my Native 5 and it works great. No more knife sticking out of my pocket.

Hey everyone, I am looking for a new knife to carry at my college that I will ne attending. At the college you can have a knife that is 3 inches or less. I am looking for a knife preferably not a sak that is under 3 inches. Also I would prefer that it be a axis lock, back lock, liner lock or frame lock. My price range is 50-200. For steel I am looking at vg10, s30v, s35vn, or 20cv. Please let me know what you recommend.
I recommend a spyderco delica 4, it's what i had my freshman year. Its cheap enough so that it won't be the end of the world if you lose or break it, perfect for opening amazon textbook packages, preparing microwave food, and shotgunning beers, and you wont scare many people with it.

Back