Looking for a Decent German Knife Block Set?

I'm wanting to buy a good Knife block set, I feel the German style is probably better for me than the Japanese style, and also I feel it will fit my budget better to, I was thinking Wusthof or F.Dick? but honestly this is way out of my comfort zone, as I'm more of a hunting/outdoor/EDC knife man, until now. I would like at least a Chefs Knife, Pairing Knife, Utility Knife, Bread Knife, Carving Knife, Carving Fork, and whatever else you guys think.
Preferably under the $600 mark but I don't know I may be way out.
what would you guys suggest?
thanks

If I were looking for a German-style set, I'd go with Wusthof Ikon.

I personally prefer the lack of a full bolster on the Ikon series compared to their Classic series. That is my own preference because I like to be able to sharpen all the way to the heel.

Lots of times with knife block sets you get some knives you don't really need. However, there is a nice 7-piece Wusthof Ikon set for $299 right now that has the basic knives you want (minus the carving set) plus a honing steel and some kitchen shears, which are also worth having, for $300. It is available in 6 different wood colors for the block.

That is a great deal for that set, if you like Wusthof knives.

This is the perfect time of year to be shopping for knife sets because retailers do heavy discounting to get those holiday sales. These are usually done by the manufacturer so you'll see the same price at every retailer.

Google "Wüsthof Classic Ikon 7-Piece Knife Block Set" and you'll find it from the typical kitchen retailers for that price.

You would have to buy the carving set separately, which usually comes in a separate box. I don't recall seeing a block set with a slot for the carving fork.

I agree that the Wusthof Ikon line would is excellent. I even like their Gourmet budget line.

If this is all new to you then consider this, you might only want to get a chef's knife (I prefer 8"), pairing knife, and maybe a 8-10" bread knife. There isn't much you can't get done with those three blades. I never use a carving knife and my one utility knife only sees duty for deboning whole poultry carcasses (for pieces I just use the chef or pairing knife). I actually rarely use a bread knife either but it's good to have.

Here's an idea. Buy the knives you need. This is a good starter set that covers nearly everything I need to do. Maybe add a pair of shears. Then buy a block.

GPQNQR1.jpg

+
AAC0UZr.jpg

If you go with a magnetic wood block you can keep the knives on the counter and depending on the style you make it look good while doing it. But the main perk is your able to clean it for hygenic purposes.

This route also gives you the option to get just the knives you need and not worry about a precut block.

I'm wanting to buy a good Knife block set, I feel the German style is probably better for me than the Japanese style, and also I feel it will fit my budget better to, I was thinking Wusthof or F.Dick? but honestly this is way out of my comfort zone, as I'm more of a hunting/outdoor/EDC knife man, until now. I would like at least a Chefs Knife, Pairing Knife, Utility Knife, Bread Knife, Carving Knife, Carving Fork, and whatever else you guys think.
Preferably under the $600 mark but I don't know I may be way out.
what would you guys suggest?
thanks
Well, I think types of knives, sizes and materials matter more than the style when choosing a knife block.

Back