Recommendation? Looking for a FFG at 3 inches

Been carrying a Spyderco Endura 4 FFG for years but I'm thinking about changing, or at least adding to the rotation. Overall I've been happy enough with the VG-10 but it really does not hold a razor edge THAT well (sees light use but does open the almost daily amazon package). I am very happy with the FFG blade profile, though.

Any suggestions for something that doesn't exceed 3 inch blade length with a FFG profile which will retain a razor edge better than the spydie's VG-10? I don't want to go too small, but I would like to keep it at/under 3".

Since you like the Endura why not go with a Delica?

There has been several exclusives and sprints with steel other than the standard VG10, you just might have to look around for one on the secondary market. Or I believe the ZDP-189 Delica is a standard production model.

I think everyone should own a Delica at least once in their lifetime.

I've been considering the D4/FFG with ZDP-189 but having owned a regular D4 in the past (well, actually its still in the drawer) I wanted to diversify a little. The Chaparral looks nice, and the FRN versions have nested liners like the D4/E4?

gazz98

Gold Member
Budget?

You could always go Paramilitary 3 in S30V with G10 handles.

I've been considering the D4/FFG with ZDP-189 but having owned a regular D4 in the past (well, actually its still in the drawer) I wanted to diversify a little. The Chaparral looks nice, and the FRN versions have nested liners like the D4/E4?

Gotcha, you didn't mention you had a Delica already.

How about a Para 3? I really love my LW over my G10 versions. Plenty of steels to choose from.

miso2

Gold Member
Second on Chaparral.
It has nested liners.

Chap5.jpg

Velitrius

Gold Member
Try a Mini Bugout. You might really enjoy one. Not a true FFG, but a very slicey blade profile nonetheless.

I was looking at the Chaparral as well as the Native 5. Ended up scooping up a Sage 5. So far I love it. The lock seems to favor right handers a little but not problematically (closes with a very similar muscle memory to my D4/E4 carries) and the pocket clip is much deeper carry than I'm used to, but thats just adjusting to a new feel.